AI keeps sending vils to gather natural resources too far away (and the vils just die)

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• **GAME BUILD #: The latest patch/ Public Preview
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Enemy villagers will try to gather coin/food/wood from distant mines/hunts/trees late into the game. If these distant villagers are killed, then the AI will send more and more villagers to this source, till all its villagers die, and then the AI wants to resign.

What is worse, the villagers gathering from these coin mines/hunts/trees don’t try to run back home when they are attacked. They keep gathering and eventually end up dying.

In one game I played, the Dutch AI sent all vils to wood as it ran out of wood to make artillery, and kept doing so till all its vills died. Most games that go on till lategame have the same issue.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Play a game against hardest/extreme AI that goes into the lategame.

2. Observe that after the AI depletes it’s closeby resources, it will keep sending villagers to gather coin or food from distant mines or hunts till most vils are dead or the resource is depleted.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

AI should have its villagers build a mill/estate/rice paddy if the coin mines/hunts/trees available are too far away or are guarded by enemy units. Also, it should ask the villagers that get attacked to run instead of just willingly dying.

4 Likes

Hi devs,

Just wanted to bump this issue from the last PUP with regards to the African AI. In a game today, the African AI sent villagers all the way to the enemy base to gather coin from a mine. Here is a pic:

The AI creates too few fields to support itself, as in the recording:
Record Game 2021-07-22 20-29-01.age3Yrec (17.7 MB)

This is very common occurrence - AI villagers going all the way into enemy territory to gather hunts/mines, and ultimately losing because most of these villagers get killed.

When there are mills/estates/rice paddies/farms/fields, the villagers should stay put and gather. Going into enemy territory is so wasteful.

1 Like