AI Obvious Mistakes

I know there are much higher priorities for the devs to focus on and I could just play against a higher cheating level of AI, but I want to address some big problems with the AI. Some of these seem easy to address like prioritizing fishing on water maps. Specifically, this is the Ridiculous AI level.

1. Building a dozen lumber camps against the same treeline
  2. Long distance lumber chopping despite having a dozen lumber camps
  3. Going onto the map to tag each deposit with a mining camp
  4. Idle vills
  5. Not making a dock for a long time
  6. Not making any fishing ships from the dock for a long time
  7. Taking out my army in the middle of the map just to retreat back to base
  8. Going for a wonder victory instead of just attacking my base
  9. Not defending wonder
  10. Not spending any olive oil and making any mercenaries
  11. Not building any army while I am in their base as they save for two palatine schools (also a bug)
  12. Very short trade routes (getting 8 gold per trip)
  13. Not making units when resources and pop space are there
  14. Not trading with 50000 food and 19 gold
  15. OOD made 4 TC’s with very little army (bad macro)

Built a dozen lumber camps and long distanced mined the other side of the wood line. map: 2V2 Glade

Blue long distance mining

Tagging each deposit with two mines, why not?

Vills that built TC stood there for like 2 minutes. Some died of Keep fire in that time.

Only one dock at 12 minutes

No fishing production till 17 minutes. Dock up for 5+ minutes doing nothing

Send army past wonder instead of defending it as a couple guys burn it down. Also, notice the extra lumber camps

I’m in his base and he is not making any units. Saving to build two palatine schools. Bad macro and bug

Building 2 palatine schools (bug). 2900+ olive oil in bank. None ever spent

8 Gold per trip

153/200 pop, 19 production buildings, 50000 food, 3000 wood and only 5 in queue. Late in match, he is being overwhelmed. Not trading for more gold to make x-bows

5 Likes

Yeah, I’ve seen some discussions in the IV - Report a Bug forum too.
Thanks for the work of making some screenshots to show some problems.
I’ve been experiencing the same, the AI is in a really weird state since the patch.

The AI makes a lot of questionable decisions now, lots of careless resource gathering outside their base.
It was in a better state before the patch and it seems it will take them a while to repair it.

I usually play against very hard and the problems are the same as the ones you show here.

3 Likes

I forgot to mention that every round the AI makes one of each production building upon aging up (barracks, stable, range). Then trains almost no one from them, or only trains out of one or two of them.

3 Likes

Welcome to AoE4 :slight_smile:

You can also go here The AI is terrible - #215 by Nacoid24799
Here I have also collected all the AI bugs I have found over time.
Also in my thread people post their bug reportsi about AI . But be sure to post here IV - Report a Bug so that it can be fixed as soon as possible.

And if you want to play against a normal AI, here is a thread with a mod that improves it Jakcie A.I (Actual AI improvements) - #126 by VisionedTuba52.

2 Likes