AI pathetic

the old ai also has several massive downsides, there are as many ai mods for it alone as anything else.

you can download my update for it here as well.

ok dude it seems you are playing a totally different game, so ok. Lets keep the AI in the state that is now, making the campaing to suck (every mission is a walk in the park, even in the hardest difficulty, the AI even doesnā€™t even build an army in a lot of missions) and the skirmishes to suck as well (search the threads in the ai section, there is even visual proof of the bugs and stupidity of the AI). btw 300 hours playing the original, all of them playing against the AI and enjoy every single hour so i know how the AI plays in the original. Not interested in multiplayer, so there you go.

1 Like

People sounds like haters to me.

1 Like

Or fanboys here. Fact is the game ai is not a decent standard.

1 Like

I also noticed in treaties for skirmish, the AI stops collecting resources or is only collecting a ton of wood but no food or gold. There are a ton of issues with the AI.

1 Like

Clearly you didnā€™t play enough of AoE3 2007 skirmish because this couldnā€™t be further from the truth. Fort or not, the AI were equally as aggressive. Forts of course made it harder to deal with if they were situated on the outskirts of your base (for obvious reasons).

The Ai feels so much worse than the original game, its even more easy to beat the expert ai, you almost never see a comp stomp game being lost because the ai almost always only tries first half and then just stops doing anything and there are so many cheesy strats like building single wall points or harrasing their settlers early game with explorer. There is also a problem with the dificulty scaling, there is a huge difference between moderate-hard and hard-expert. And no a lot of people manage to beat expert ai, and not all people want to play ranked as PvE is very different to PvP, so it really doesnt hurt making an actual expert ai that for example builds walls.

I have played countless 80+ of 1v1 games on fast speed against the ai on aoe 3 vanilla and could easily beat any second highest difficulty ai with any civ and win around 50% against extreme NY just utrle and booming no wall cheese or rush or idling voll abuse.

So I think am well experienced how ai plays.

The ai was much more capable im vanilla than in Asian dynasties without mods on my opinion but I donā€™t have that much experience with it since I never liked the expansions.

Amyway, yesterday I played my first 1v1 in de against Germany ai and it was a walk in the park. Normally they would attack with a sizeable army and also raid villagers. But I de I just got attacked once?? By a tiny army and then they just let me out boom them by a large margin (never possible in vanilla due to insane handicap bonus and villager raiding).

I was seriously disappointed by how much worse the ai is.

I have hundreds of hours in skirmish from 2007. I knew i wasnā€™t going to get attacked until age 3. I also knew that attacks were going to drop off severely if that fort was destroyed.

As for the exploits like single wall points, those have been around pre-DE. You can look up videos of youtuberā€™s beating AI 1v7 using these exploits.

Iā€™ll cede some common ground, though. I see the new AI make stupid moves. I see it retreat for no reason sometimes. I see it revolt without following through. There are lots of improvements that would make it better. What I wonā€™t say, however, is that the new AI is worse than the old. I honestly think some of you have been playing modded AI this whole time because you are saying things that arenā€™t accurate, or you are criticizing the new AI for things the old was just as guilty of.

Letā€™s remember also that the old AI simply cheated. It was given bonuses that the devs have tried to avoid with the new one.

I was a player until 2012, and before the launch of the Definitive edition i reentered the game playing against the legacy AI.

In comparison, the expert AI is vastly superior to the original Hardest. Especially in 1vs1 it raids and does not resort to idiot tactics like booming while being rushed. I cannot win in a 1vs 2 Expert AI, but i was able to beat the 1vs 2 in hardest.

Yes the expert is beatable, but if you want a better challenge put yourself against multiple AIā€™s.

Having said that, while replaying the campaings i noticed that the AI was buggy (lots of times it did not attack and it got stuckā€¦ a lot in small passages). Other times, it simply stopped after destroying the TC (even if i relocated).

1 Like

Lol, donā€™t play treaty game with AI. Thatā€™s it.
Just 1v1 with extreme AI without treaty and you will probably loose.

1 Like

Been playing unmodded AI and I can safely say the AI is inconsistent especially when it comes to certain maps. According to a post on here the AI doesnā€™t cheat as much but supposedly they have a handicap bonus included when they looked through the code. You can see this easily when they build structures or their factory work rate.

Thatā€™s because old hardest AI has +50% resource gather rate bonus. As far as I know (might be wrong though), the new AI doesnā€™t have increased gather rates, so a proper comparison would be, say, the old hardest AI vs new Extreme AI with +50% handicap.

The new AI certainly cheats gather rates too Iā€™m sure, no legit player ages up in less than 3 minutes. Making AI for RTS is really hard (even Google - deepmind with all their HW and specialized team failed to make an AI for Starcraft that beats top players consistently) so it would be impossible to make an actual challenging AI without cheats for nowā€¦I mean, even with cheats itā€™s not much of a challenge for an average player.

i knew that old ai had handicaps (as i stated in my post above) but i did not knew that they reduced these in aoe 3 de. I guess i will put some extra handicap for the ai in order to get a more challenging 1v1 again. aoe2 de ai is much more challenging on highest setting than aoe 3 de ai.

Iā€™m not entirely sure, Iā€™ve checked several times, and it seems that the new extreme AI does cheat at least with starting resources on roughly the same scale (40%, the original one was 40% or 50%), not sure about resources in general though. Itā€™s hard to compare because the AI goes for a different eco balance than I do.

AI in the DE does not press to attack and ravage your base. In most cases, they wonā€™t attack until Imperial Age. I think we can safely say this AI is no match for the Expert AI of AoE3 2007. It was hard to survive the old AIā€™s relentless attacks. And no, they would certainly attack in the Colonial Age, but it depended on the personality you played against (I.e. Spanish and Russians focus more on aggressive attacks early on than say the British and Portuguese).

This AI seldom attacks and you can pretty much sit in your base and do nothing and be content that they wonā€™t lay a finger on it. Itā€™s dismal playing offline games on DE because it feels like youā€™re playing defense wars or something against the AI because they just camp. Thereā€™s 0 dynamic to battles in DE.

Also, in regards to cheating, 2007 AI got a 50% boost. Extreme AI in DE gets a 40% boost and Hardest (Expert equivalent Iā€™d imagine) gets a 20% boost.

3 Likes

playing with tracts anyone can beat them, the AI is not designed for tracts, play extreme in standard mode and you will notice the real difficulty

Well one thing i am for certain, i am not playing this game until all this AI bugs are fixed, and SPECIALLY the bug that crashes your pc and deletes everything. They just implemented a patch in steam, but i am not risking all my data for this s***. For anyone interested in this bug here is the link to the main thread. 3 beta test periods btw, and the devs did not listen, nice FE team.

https://forums.ageofempires.com/t/game-crashed-my-pc-with-windows-not-working-properly-since

1 Like

The new ai is worse from what I have witnessed and after playing some games with the old ai. It doesnt matter if the old ao cheated if it means its more enjoyable, because a bad ai is not enjoyable in the slightest. It would also have been nice to finally make the ai build walls.