AI Shouldn't resign

In campaign mode, in some scenarios AI shouldn’t resign.

Take the second scenario of the Greek campaign: you have to capture some ruins and build some towers. But you have to pass trough the enemy base, so you have to strike a serious blow to accomplish the objectives. But if the AI resigns, the whole scenario loses the purpose and becomes another deathmatch.

So my proposal is that, in the scenarios that you have some kind of objective more than defeat X enemy, AI should be programmed to never resign. Elimination victory should be allowed, of course, if for some reason the player is unable to accomplish the goals (in the same scenario of before, for example, you run out of stone for building the towers, so you can still win by killing every unit and building)

8 Likes

I have recently been playing the single player campaign in AoE: DE and really enjoying it (I’m mostly an AoE II guy), but there’s one little thing (specific to the campaign’s) that I am finding quite annoying. And that is that once all of the enemies have been killed (or resigned) the game just ends instantly, regardless of whether you have completed the objectives or not.

I understand this is probably a design decision (and likely how it was done in the original), but it really feels like a bit of a buzz kill and an anti-climactic finish especially with the fact that you can’t see the whole map after winning (like in AoE II).

An example of this is the second to last mission in the Glory of Greece campaign (Xenophon’s March). I marched my way through destroying and colonising all of the Persian empires, I like to really take my time and I generally play on the slowest speed, so this took slightly over an hour. I get to the last settlement and take it down, only to find some ships on the water, so I build a dock and some war ships to counteract them, I take down the last of the enemy ships and then the game ends just like that. I never get to transport the artefact back to my home base or even get there, and a big portion of the map still remains covered by fog of war. I’ve also noticed the same issue on a few of the earlier campaign missions too. I get that all the AI has resigned so technically you’ve won the game, but when an objective is given like it was here (transport the artefact to the government centre), I would really appreciate it if that was the only win condition, and at least have the opportunity to do it (without purposefully keeping the AI alive). Another possible solution could be clearly stating the alternate win condition but I think that’d be less cool.

Don’t know if anyone else feels the same way, and i understand it’s a very minor issue compared to a lot of reported problems with the game. Good work by the way, on turning a very dated RTS in to quite a fun and playable game without losing it’s original sense of identity, I am so far having an absolute blast with it, while I’m waiting for AoE II: DE.

3 Likes

Same thing in custom games. AoE II had a cheat where you could type “100” in the chat and it would disable AI resigning. I wish DE had the same feature too.

1 Like

In AoE 1 DE playing random map against AI, when it’s losing and I’m winning it just resign.
AI should never resign, it should always wait a winning condition.
AI quitting ruins the gameplay.
There should be a way to disable AI quitting and let we play as long as we wish.

1 Like

AI player is not a human player, it should never runaway.
It’s like bringing bad things of multiplayer to local play.

You can force the AI to not resign by sending it 104 in the chat (don’t resign).

It won’t resign until you’ve killed all of its units.

Great tip Dalemac1989.

No. Doesn’t work on AoE 1 DE. It’s for 2.

I figured it out,
I changed the file:
CP_AI\PER\RANDOM MAP.PER

6 0 //SNDisableResign
to:
6 1 //SNDisableResign

2 Likes

Thanks for posting the correct solution.

What directory is the file in?

1 Like

on steam it’s:
Steam\steamapps\common
AoEDE\CP_AI\PER
RANDOM MAP.PER

2 Likes

Thank you for posting this

1 Like

Good point. Another thing I hate is how on some maps, like Canyon of Death, the AI just swarm you, and make the map much easier (you can kill them before they reach the specific units they are targeting). The original AOE campaigns were better gameplay wise. Sad.

3 Likes

it’s also annoying how AI resign in single player campaign before we complete mission objectives.

I vote for a option to disable all AI Resign (single player campaign, single player random map, multiplayer).

2 Likes

Seconded! Especially on single player campaign missions it’s a bit weird to see them resign (though some missions like the 6th Yamato scenario are a slog when they don’t resign, especially if you’ve destroyed their ability to make units anyway).

There is nothing wrong with AI retiring. But it was possible in campaigns to make sure that the mission did not end after the surrender of the enemy (as in the campaign “Rise of Egypt” from the mission “Discovery”, where if the enemy is defeated, but the goals are not achieved, the game does not end)

This would be really cool if implemented. Right now, the scenario is won if every other players resign (apparently).

1 Like

Agreed. Most scenarios are trivial if the AI just resigns. I suggest the AI get more starting troops in the non-fixed force scenarios too, as they aren’t enough of a threat to keep up the pace of unit production after their initial forces are depleted. It makes me wonder what the AI is doing.

1 Like