AI units can use Melee attack from a distance

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: V. 100.14.43676.0
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

DE made the AI capable of changing stance for its units, especially Musketeer-like units switching to Melee attack against Cavalry and benefitting from their attack bonus.

However, whenever the stance change has just been made, the AI units simply use their melee animations (and damage) from the same distance they would use their ranged attacks. They will continue to do this until they have killed their target or been given another order.
After their first target, they appear to work normally, closing in to use their melee attack.

This appears to be an AI-only exploit, as I haven’t seen any instance of this happening while the units are human-controlled.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 50% of the time / matches I play (FREQUENTLY): This happens almost every fight where I have cavalry and the AI has Musketeer-type infantry nearby.

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Play against AI opponent using Musketeer-like units (Heavy Ranged Infantry)
  2. Move Cavalry units nearby, but keep them out of Melee range
  3. See the AI units use melee attack animations from a range, with your cavalry taking bonus damage to match.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

Musketeer-like units should need to be in melee distance to perform melee attacks. It’s their tradeoff for dealing greater damage against enemy cavalry.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

Note how the minimap shows no other unit of mine nearby besides my Black Riders.

3 Likes