AI units running into enemy Castles/Kreposts/Towers (and other Extreme AI weaknesses)

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 43210
  • PLATFORM: Microsoft Store

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

I recently took the challenge to play a few 1v2 games against the Extreme AI. After a few games, I noticed some weaknesses of the AI, especially in how it approaches enemy buildings. These weaknesses can be used/exploited to make the AI lose many units or let it waste a lot of time.

The AI has come a long way since the original AoE2 release, but still I think there are a few things that need to be improved to make it even stronger.

1. AI units run into Castles, Kreposts, towers and other fortifications.
    If you build a defensive castle or other defensive building, the AI has the tendency to dive in with many units, thereby losing them unneccessarily to arrow fire (even if they initially retreat). This can be exploited by creating a “choke point” in your base and guarding it with defensive buildings. The AI will keep sending units there.

You can see this happening in the following video where TheViper takes an even bigger challenge than me by playing 1v4 against the Extreme AI (watch from 30:00).

1. Rushing AI attacks buildings instead of villagers
    If the AI is rushing and detects an enemy building, it keeps attacking the building (even with units like archers, skirmishers or spearmen) if there are no enemy units in the direct surroundings, instead of looking for units. That makes the AI lose a lot of valuable time in an early rush. It can spend minutes attacking houses or other buildings instead of moving on.

2. AI attacks wall segments
    Possibly related, if the AI breaks through a wall, it starts attacking other wall segments, instead of moving into the enemy base to attack units.

2 Likes

the wall part I definitely agree. once AI breaks the wall, they should just keep going into town rather than trying to kill off all the other wall.

2 Likes

Can confirm. Makes the ai very easy to bit in a relaxed game.