AMD or Intel i5 procesor?

Hello

What processor to buy?

1. Intel Core i5-10400F
    2.AMD Ryzen 5 3600
1 Like

I’m Team Red, but the performance of these CPU’s is pretty much the same and you can get the 10400F for ~$150 whereas the 3600 is going closer to $250, so that should help you make up your mind.

2 Likes

I would get option 2. Really good value for price. For gaming it’s better to have higher base frequency on the CPU, so you may be spending a bit more, but getting a significantly better value. A lot of people bottleneck their rigs with too weak CPU, however, if a CPU is very weak, then your system will not benefit much from having a better GPU.

2 Likes

I"d save a bit more and buy an AMD Ryzen 5 3600x to get a better fan. Ryzen 5 is a great CPU, though it get a bit hot too easy

1 Like

This is a religious discussion.

Generally atm:
AMD is now Intel and Intel is now AMD.
What I mean is that AMD has the better manufacturing process and architecture so Intel tries to boost GHz to still keep up. One AMD GHz is worth more than one Intel GHz but Intel has more. Two AMD cores work better together than two Intel cores.
The energy usage of an Intel that is equivalent to an AMD is like 2x.
So the opposite of what was the case before Ryzen.

But don’t remember that for the future.
That might all change relatively soon as it’s rumoured that Intel wants to use TSMC like AMD to produce their chips, than no one has a manufacturing advantage and the better architecture truly wins.

As for the Ryzen 5 3600, that’s the CPU I use and it’s pretty good. I even use the stock fan. I didn’t have any of the performance issues other people reported with the release version of AoE3DE.
btw. the Ryzen 5 3600X is worse, it uses up more power but isn’t even faster so you need a better fan but you don’t get anything out of it.
If you want to spend more the Ryzen 5 5600(X) is an obvious choice.

4 Likes

Yea good point. Right now the 3600 is $235 but the 5600X is $289, so might as well spend the extra $50 at that point to get newer tech.

++
new tech include not only price. But new instructions for CPU etc. Same program can be faster x2 just with new instruction(but it can be the same).
PS but in my country price for 5600X is 1.5x higher :frowning: