An idea for a change to Elephant Archer

This sounds pretty cool!! It might just make it a decent unit for 1v1 but it might makes it OP for Death Matches and other such starts.

1 Like

Yes, next game I’ll go FC Elephant Archers on Arabia vs an Aztec picker. Elephant Archers are made to 105 the enemy or bully low elo players.

And how can I make Hussars or whatever if I need 160 villagers to produce them?

I think giving them more range and less cost will be enough

In which video exactly did he say that? I’ve never seen him make EA in any of the top tier games against any top opponents like Hera etc. Face it, it’s nothing more than a meme. You can draw up crazy combos like EA and HC or EA and Sorps or whatever and it may at times work out on scenario editor but never in actual situation where you are up against anyone who knows what they are doing.

He will link a video where Viper completely destroyed Hera in Feudal Age, had 1k score lead, so he decided to make him resign by making Elephant Archers.

Elephants Archers are not viable in TGs either. You will play a 0.88 speed unit as pocket? Or Indian flank vs S+ tier civs like Mayans? This is so stupid.

Exactly. See I don’t even play much any more, partly because of time and the other reason being my name appears as U??????? ingame because of the use of unicode on my Steam name which this game will never support I’m guessing. But I watch a lot of top tier gameplay videos and analysis by SOTL besides an occasional skirmish with friends when I have time. But just an hour back I got completely wrecked playing as Indians in a 8 player Battle Royale quick match for the second-last achievement. Yes I was probably the crappiest player in there but I was coming second until I made the mistake of making some EA along with IC. I even took the central castle but the moment the other players saw I had EA they started spamming halberds. Managed to outrun the halberds with IC but EA? I just abandoned them to their fate.

let me ask you guys something -how often do you see elephant unique units period? oh right. rarely. very rarely. it has nothing to do with the strength of the unit and more to do with the cost combined with the time to mass them up in decent numbers. even the war elephants, as strong as they are, don’t see use. so how do you guys propose you fix that issue?

that’s funny because in the viper video his EEA chewed threw halbs. and not just Halbs. Malian Halbs.

you all complain endlessly about a unit that is just too expensive to see real play. the problem is reducing its cost or buffing its stats would just break the unit. so what realistic answer do you have to the problems elephant unique units pose?

2 Likes

versus a guy who is 800 elo under Viper? Viper could’ve made Militias to kill him in Imperial Age.

how do you know the ELO of the people he is playing against?

so you’re saying all those pros can tell how a unit performs without actually using it, but using it they can’t give an accurate assessment? yeah okay.

again i’ll ask you. so stop avoiding the pertinent question.

the unit is already very strong as is - its going to take very population efficient trades even if you make the two best counters to it. it takes something like 50+ elite skirm attacks to take just one of them down. so how would you fix the elephant unique unit problem?

1 Like

Funny? You don’t say!! Viper has insane micro skills and his APM is godlike so someone like him could probably tear through a company of War Elephants with a bunch of Teutonic Knights

Did you even read my opening post at the top of the page. I was just trying to openly discuss an idea I had about a change to the Elephant Archer that was somewhat interesting and not too radical and any stats change to the unit I said would be to fine tune any imbalances that would have resulted from my proposed changes. This was just a discussion on the possibilities of such a change but people like you kept attacking the very idea that there is at all any problem with the unit as it is.

Oh it’s expensive but hey its supposed to be

Oh you don’t know how to play EA
just flank them with HC and you got your winning combo

Oh they used to be bad but they are perfect now
if Viper can, so can you

Well never mind. Everything is perfect as it is, why even bother. I regret starting this discussion. It won’t happen again.

Viper didn’t even micro them. Just let them tank. And guess what? You balance around the top level of play. Not your average joe

4 Likes

Exactly the unit is very strong but too expensive. If we buff stats it gets broken in teamgames whrew pop efficiency matter, if we nerf cost likewise.

Here is the solution that I know you will disagree with:

Make all Elefants 2 pop space and balance around it.
Making them 2 pop severely lowers their pop efficiency which now enables us to raise their cost efficiency so they are actually useful in competitive games without breaking low elo teamgames.

Following buffs to compensate 2 pop andore if deemed nevvesary to make this work:
-Battle Elefants get the 50% splash back but for the elite ones only, maybe also revert the attack nerf.
-Elefant archers and ballista Elefants each get +1 damage for both elite and base version
-Persian war Elefants food cost from 200 to 170.

Same thing should also be applied to turtle ships. 2 pop and balanced around in my opinion.

If this was aoe 3 then Elefants would cost 5 pop propably and paladins 3. Don’t get me wrong, I don’t want this extreme pop balancing but I think only making Elefants 2 pop to allow them to be balanced is a OK compromise.

1 Like

and let me ask you. if 1 pop units don’t see use because cost, why would i make two pop units?
your idea wouldn’t work without severe buffs to elephants at 2 pop. ebe might see use but they are far easier to mass up. unique units certainly wouldn’t.
for 2 pop EEA with +1 attack it just isn’t worth it. same with ballista elephants.

and aoe3 is the worst game in the age of franchise with terrible balance.

but again, your stats don’t make me want to make it. they still cost an insane amount of resources and take forever to mass up. and are now less population efficient.

3 Likes

Regarding your last sentence, that way the hole idea. Making the less pop efficient was the goal!

Like I posted above, any other buff to Bala ne around 2 pop that is necessary to make them less pop efficient but useful in competitive play.

Instead of nit picking you could help with some suggestions

Also aoe 3 is great. Much better than age of mythology and age of empires one especially now with de but already before. Easily second best age game. Also with second biggest community.

2 Likes

because it is YOU GUYS who want the unit to see use no matter what. not me. i am fine with elephants being a team game/death match/late game unit.

you guys want the unit to see more use.

barely more followers then aoe1, half the followers of aom, and aom has a much higher rating. also lower playtime total.

2 Likes

Wrong, in this post or yours you asked for “hw do you propose to fix it”. Your words I just followed trough.

1 Like

does your idea fix it though? doesn’t seem like it. they lose the one advantage they have always had and what do they gain? doesn’t look like much and little incentive to make them.

it doesn’t matter how much you buff their stats, unless you make them completely broken doing so, the cost is too high.

1 Like

Dude, the AoE fanbase almost exclusively plays AoE2 and AoM, which are by far, the best games in the series.

AoE3 is considered the black sheep of the franchise, and AoE1 is just too outdated.

I have seen AoE3 DE numbers hit triple digits, but AoM still has 4 digit playerbase retention, a lot of times.

What about making them able to swap between melee and ranged mode? Getting extra armor in melee mode and a few more attack in ranged one.

Both modes can be relatively powerful but have different uses, like holding behind the walls or under a castle, ranged mode can be used. Melee one would fit taking buildings down and overall melee fights better.

Also they would need to be microed in a fight because you want to start the fight with ranged mode then swap some of them melee mode gradually while some keep shooting

1 Like

Please don’t try to add Age of Empires 3
mechanics to my perfect Age of Empires 2.

7 Likes