Analyses of the ratings - Spotting the issues

Devs justified their MM fixed maps limited bans and refused the idea of a ranked lobby, so player wouldn’t create inflated ranks by playing just one map.

Also the same devs, allowed in the other hand we have 3200 ranks on tgs more than 1k elo higher than their 1x1 rank, there can’t be a biggest contradiction than that.

a good topic that still hasnt been adressed :slight_smile:

I have wrote a topic on this one year ago 11

Yeah, this issue seems to be part of the game since release. I have seen also other threads about this subject, but this thread grownth to be the main thread about this subject.

So while i am waiting on a answer from the devs (@GMEvangelos) since May, others might already been waiting for a reply since 2019. As community we already found out the source of the issue. So this much be an easy fix, i would say. Currently the compare your elo to the max elo of the enemies. They need to compare to the average elo. Just that change will make a big difference on its own.

Other suggestion would even improve the elo even further, but i would consider these change as ‘nice to have’, while changing the max to average in the calculation is a ‘must’ for me.

Not sure why this still isnt fixed and why the devs never reply anything about this issue.

Will 2021 be the year in which team game ratings get fixed @GMEvangelos?

I doubt it.
Right now it’s not working good but it kind of gets the job done…
I have played 270 Teamgames and had a winrate of 53.7%. Considering I was constantly improving a little bit this looks like I got overall even matchups.

With the emphasis on “overall”!
Yes, I also get matches were the 1v1 Elo of the other teams is on average 200points higher even though we have the same team Elo (and of course get stomped). And yes, there are also games where it is the opposite.

I guess the current system is ok if you have a pre-mate team and play a lot. It can be really unfair if you only play causally and que as a single player.

I would suggest the system should also factor in the 1v1 Elo when a teamgame includes solo que people!

1 Like

It doesn’t. If you look at the leaderboard, you can find (few) players in even the top500 with a winrate below 50%. Thats about top 0.1%. They lose more than they win, yet the managed to climb all the way to the top. Something definitly is wrong there.

I just checked the top 300 teamgame players on AoE2.net. Of those 300 only 4 players have a negative winrate with the lowest having a winrate of 45%.

It’s possible to rank up with a slightly negative winrate in an Elo system. This happens if you face higher ranking opponents more often then lower ranking ones.

A good elo rating doesnt have inflation or deflation of ratings. The current system is very much inflated. So you get an higher rating, because you play more. Not because you are becoming better into this game. That is the error in the current team game ratings. We already know why this happened and the fix seem to be easy.

Compare this to the 1v1 ladder. Most of them will have a 60%+ winrate and most likely non have 50%- win rate.

I just compared it. Of the Top 300 Teamgame players 294 have a winrate of 51% or higher.

But yes, it’s definitely broken. It’s a bad system. Yet what I am trying to say: it’s not broken enough that the Devs care…

This issue is quite obvious and known for some time…

Not really. This is only possible if you consistently play against players above your own ranking. But since we are talking about the top 0.1% of player, this is close to impossible. Those are players who consistently play players BELOW their own ranking, lose the majority of their games and STILL increase their rating.

Also this. There is 1 player in the top 500 with below 50% winrate for 1v1, and thats someone who only played 10 games.

How can Hera be #1 on 1v1 and #5412 in team games? And Viper is #2 on 1v1 and #4154 in team games. :thinking:

1 Like

image image
I just played a game which is totally unfair matching
And you know what, the higher elo one is even in duo…
This TG matching is really toxic.

I recently played two team games, and those were much more extreme. In the first one, the best player of the other team had over 500 elo more than the best player on my team, in the second game, the difference was almost 600. Naturally, our team lost two times, and then I lost 1 elo each time.

It’s not about the elo for me, but this is just a waste of time. By the time I reach Castle Age my opponent dropped a Castle in my ally’s base, he resigns, everyone else resigns and the game is over. Not fun for anyone.

2 Likes

yes, if they keep allowing these unfair matching happening, I bet no one will ever willing to go for solo queue in TG anymore.

I havent seen something about this issue in the patch notes, so i assume this is still not fixed?
The biggest complaint seems to be a really small fix on paper, so i have no idea why this is still not implemented… @GMEvangelos

5 Likes

There are still rather large issues with the ranked as of 2021 Februrary.

I’ve been playing quite often these day, twice a day every day and I oftentimes feel like there are huge gaps between paired teams.

Repeatedly the matchmaking seemingly balances the teams by averaging out very different rated players. This fails to capture how a high-raking players skills will translate into a stronger gameplay not linearly, but exponentially.

I suggest taking into consideration the 1v1 rating of players too. Just imagine how someone with a 2k+ rating can do in a team game, where he’d never had a rating at all before.

But I imagine this is not the creators’ concern as a lot of people play the game even despite this haphazard matchmaking.

2 Likes

And the 2k+ player even can have this pretty easy. Just team up with a couple of low elo legends friends and all you get are some 1.1k players that can be steamrolled. I really think premade team should not be possible in ranked. Thats what we have unranked for. But fixing that alone would not nearly fix the issues we discuss in this thread…

Fully disagree. Many ranked teams are premades, because they want together with friends. Just saying they arent allowed in ranked will fully kill the ranked ladder, since waiting times will even exploit further. Look at what happened at Quick play. That mode is poorly designed, so no one played and those who want to play face long queueing times and quit also quick play.

So i would see another fix for premades in ranked. But at this moment i dont really think premades are the biggest concern. The completely ladder is currently a mess. The devs needs to fix that first. As second they can have a look at issues with premades and other concerns. Just premades arent even an issue if they only play as premade. It only becomes an issue if you have player that join TGs as solo and as premade and dont perform the same in both situations.

If they really want (and that would be great), then they can look at all rating issues at once and just fix all. Fixing all might even result in a ladder result, so looking at all can be a good thing (then we just need 1 reset). But this all depends on what the devs want to fix. Until know it look like the devs dont really care. @GMEvangelos did not even mention anything about this issues with the elo distribution at all. So it seems like the devs dont care at all, which is a bad sign in my opinion.

2 Likes

I agree on you. I just think it is not easy, or more like impossible, to balance out a premade team against a non premade one. Since there are premade teams that have a very specific plan on how they will play the game (looking for teambonuses that interact well with each other, going for some meme strat (like douching)). So everyone on that team knows what to do, what civ to choose and so on. The randoms, well at my level we choose cav civs on pocket, archer on flank and well thats it for strategizing. So you would have to give premades a rather big disadvantage (for example balancing like they have 100 elo more in total). But at the same time there migth be premades that just want to play a round, with no strategizing before playing, for them this would be a huuuuuuuge problem, bc they would get punished for potential strategizing they have not done.

So yeah, why not, they can stay in ranked, but maybe only face other premades? (I totally get ur point, but whenever I am against premade team with huge elo diffs, I just resign… no point in wasting my time)

On your last topic: They are currently not able to reproduce villager bumping (List of unfixed bugs - #96 by GMEvangelos), so I have close to no hope that this issue will be worked on soon…