Any hints for "Porto" AOE2 DLC?

Did they really? As far as I have read (which tbh I havent taken a deep dive) aboyt Georgia, they werent related to Armenians in the middke ages in any major way

And adding a Lithuanian civ based in the P-L Commonwealth and then adding an unhistorical accurate Polish civ was a mistake. They should have gone with Poles or Lithuanians or at least tried to make Poles feel like actual Poles and Lithuanians feel like Lithuanians

For your reading pleasure: Armenia–Georgia relations - Wikipedia

They were interconnected to the point of being basically one nation at some point.

2 Likes

So both armenians and georgians can replace the byzantine themes in the manzikert scenario and also show up in a turks campaign too.

3 Likes

Yep. They could easily replace other civilizations in several scenarios, and several original civilizations could appear in their scenarios. Lots of potential here.

2 Likes

AKA Georgia owned Armenia.

Doesnt seem like an strong reason to add them.
And Armenia and Georgian arent very much present. Georgia has one scenario and Armenia has one or two

Georgia has to be a civ but Armenia isnt a must have

That’s an oversimplification. Armenia was independent for most of its history. It just had some periods where it was subjugated or ruled by other states. Georgia and Armenia are different culturally, so Armenia can’t just be represented by the Georgians. They should be separate.

4 Likes

Im not talkimg about that, ofc they are diferent culture wise, but at the same time we have a lot to cover and I would rather cover other civs first. Armenia was for most od the middle ages under the control of a major power (which tbh its understandable since they were located in a territory that was wanted by both Byzantium, the Turks and Persia) so I just dont find them that relevant.

Also Armenians and Georgians would have a lot in common in game.

Well, in any case, this is all moot. If the devs want both, I’m sure they can differentiate them somehow. Maybe the Georgians can be more aggressive and the Armenians more defensive. Or the opposite.

The Armenians had really good siege IRL, so that alone could set them apart from the Georgians.

1 Like

The good siege is a cool diference but both civs would be some sort of Teuton-like civ. Both civs would have to get good knights, defemses, monks, economy and infantry if we were to look at what they did well. Maybe Im exagerating and theres a lot to diferenciate these two civs (like making Georgia a trash civ with good castles but weak walls and making Georgians a super heavy cav and siege civ) but I have seen a lot of Armenian and Georgian civ designs that could be used for each other.

The dataset is just a component of the game… even if it is not changed, you cannot use replays from a different version

My idea was making the Georgians an infantry civilization that also happens to have good cavalry (and this is somewhat justified by history, as Georgian medieval armies had many different types of infantry), while the Armenians are strictly focused on cavalry and siege, with a bit of monks. If the devs go that route, the two could be very different.

1 Like

Of course,the porto wine,I know it…

Yes,I think the same,aoe 2 DE became very Eurocentric with the passage of the latest expansions…

1 Like

Yes,I think the same,in addition the Chola appear in the remade campaign of Pritviraj…

1 Like

Would not georgians have better cavalry as they had cumans in their armies?

1 Like

Well, they did have top-notch cavalry, but apparently, Armenian cavalry was some of the best in the world at the time. In any case, the Cumans have more of a focus on light cavalry and steppe lancers anyway, so that’s the cavalry that the Georgians would focus on (yes, they’d have Steppe Lancers; the Armenians would not, but would have Paladin).

1 Like

Yes,I know it,is that Zimbabweans sounds half complicated to pronounce (sounds like the Haudenosaunee of aoe 3),although Mutapans sounds good…

None of the DE dlcs had a fourth campaign,the last khans,the lords of the west and the dawn of the dukes,all only had three campaigns…

No,Georgia and Armenia are culturally Eastern European,as both are Orthodox Christian countries…they are as European as Russia…

2 Likes

We could have a Byzantine-Caucasus theme set for them, Byzantines, and Bulgarians. That would be good.

3 Likes