Any hints for "Porto" AOE2 DLC?

Can we get any hints for the newly discovered “Porto” DLC? Which civs & which region of the world they might be?

9 Likes

Let’s wait for the January update and the announced roadmap.

7 Likes

I predict an African DLC, Zimbabwe and one more civ.

8 Likes

I don’t believe the code name means anything at all. The past few code names for updates in other Age games were completely random, because they spoiled too much.

I personally believe there is a strong chance that the two civilizations added are the Armenians and Georgians, because they’re highly requested, Caucasus is a map in base DE, they’re extremely relevant to the new civilizations added as well as classic civilizations, and the Caucasus isn’t represented in the game at all. For those reasons, I believe that they are likely to be the two new civs. Only time will tell.

If they are in, I will scream my lungs out.

14 Likes

Yes it’s confirmed that codenames are no longer hints at all. Only thing we get to speculate on is the fact they plan to add more achievements for that one than they did for LotW and DotD. Ig one could also speculate that if the achievements are ready then the release is pretty close (achievements for the previous 1 were introduced well after the anouncement and barely 2 weeks before release) and that the current PuP has no balance change to not spoil anything.

where is that dude that predicted burgundians, sicilians, poles and bohemians with over a year of difference before their release? we need him to post here.

9 Likes

Did someone seriously do that?

Yes. He posted on one of those polls about future civs.

1 Like

Easy.

It’s called Porto. Which is a city in Portugal, but the Portuguese are already a civ. Given this fact, they probably don’t mean Porto as in the Portuguese city, but simply mean it as the word for port.

My guess is that the expansion will be the first one in a long long time not centered around a specific geographic region. Like The Conquerors being themed around Conquering and Conquered civs, and The Fogotten being themed around civs from AOE2’s cutting room floor, I think Porto will be themed around the high seas, with the intent of trying to flesh out water maps in AOE2.

It’s no secret water is the weakest link of the game. With more than half of the civs in the game having no bonuses or edge related to water, and the 5 or so civs that actually have good water bonuses dominate the water map meta, diversity in water map matches is poor the say the least. I feel like, along with making the MAA line relevant, fixing water up with some tech tree expansions and extra water centric civs is kind of the final frontier in terms of balance improvements AOE2 could have. With probably a viking campaign as the third campaign along with the 2 new civs campaigns.

Polynesia bros we did it. We won.

2 Likes

There’s one problem with that. The code name is proven to not mean anything. Meaning, the DLC could literally be themed around anything.

1 Like

I don’t know man, every AOE2 xpac codename has meant something. But not suddenly it doesn’t just because other games with their own development teams don’t use meaningful codewords? It seems like a flimsy argument.

2 Likes

I would like Balkan or Caucasus civs but don’t mind Africa or Asia as well. Wishing for more information soon

6 Likes

It’s confirmed that codename is not a hint anymore, since it spoiled so much. New patches come with new bugs and maybe more unstable to the game. I think dev has gone a little too far.

2 Likes

A Reddit user talked to one of the AoE2 devs, who admitted that the Porto codename is meaningless.

1 Like

“A reddit user” is my dad works at Nintendo tier. It would take an actual official acknowledgement from the AOE2 devs on an official channel like the forum or an official twitter account to make me believe this.

We live in a world where the Dark Souls 1-3 servers can get taken down because of some unfounded discord internet hearsay, I’m taking a stand damnit. I’m not believing this just because you heard it from a guy who heard it from a guy who might have heard it from an AOE2 dev.

Not that it really matters at the end of the day, since this all traces back to a speculative post i made that will almost certainly be wrong regardless of if the codename means anything.

1 Like

In fact they are possibly Congolese (1390-1568) and Bantues (1430-1572)…

2 Likes

Portos is a dlc that is solely focused about buffing the Portuguese. You need to pay for the dlc to unlock the buffs
It will give organ guns proper aoe capabilities and Portuguese get some free militia per age for a proper early game bonus.
Carracks is rework as a militia line tech.
Ports also get access to all techs, since this is supposed to be pay to win anyway and elite organ guns get cobra car stats.

8 Likes

Palermo depot - Sicilians
Prague depot - Bohemians
Porto depot - ?
https://steamdb.info/app/813780/depots/

1 Like

This would be actually a good dlc 11

9 Likes

Please, just no Armenians or Georgians… Leave the Europe for once!

Much more requested are a rework for the Indians or even African continent (just Ethiopians and Malians for an African DLC is a little questionable tbh), and many also want North American civs over more in Europe…

8 Likes