AoE 2 DE Campaigns suggestions - Feedback DLC: Return of Rome

We now know that very well. you are already repeating an entry made by another user.

No it is right. They had times, particularly in their early stages, when they had a dynasty form of government. I already described this in an earlier entry, you should read that better.

Your reply is still there and I hadn’t the other user’s answer yet.

What you wrote is still totally wrong. Read what you wrote.

And speaking of reading. You seem to have conveniently omitted the part about the nonsense you said about the Celts and British

1 Like

Topic name: Campaign suggestions and feedback for ROR.
What’s going on in the topic: This weird historical discussion again. Were the Celts Gauls and were the Romans a dynasty or a family.

You know, historians already figured out most of this stuff and is available with a simple Google search. Or there can be a separate forum where you could argue this stuff. Because now every thread gets derailed with these off-topic historical debates.

2 Likes

Dear Lord, this thread runs high on Dunning Kruger effect

2 Likes

To be honest, threads usually derail into offtopic historical discussions. But in this particular thread this discussion literally started in the OP

1 Like

They are, thank you. But you generally seem to be confused about the terminology for people living in Great Britain and Ireland – and it seems to me that you probably shouldn’t be making suggestions about changing terminology used in the game when you aren’t sure what the correct terminology is yourself.

Edward Longshanks was not an Anglo-Saxon. The last Anglo-Saxon king was Harold Godwinson, who died almost 200 years before Longshanks was born.

Welsh without longbowmen would be weird – the Welsh used longbows extensively before the English did, and once England had conquered Wales, many “English” longbowmen were actually Welsh.

2 Likes

How to fix this bizarre conversation about british isles add welsh as a civi.welsh can be welsh celts ireland and scotland britons everybody else.

I’m getting sucked up into this as well :smiley: :smiley: Omg

The english were germanic tribes, while the rest were celtic tribes in Roman times IE AOE1 time span untill 476.
So you add Germans and Celts and you have all the english tribes+more in continental Europe.

No need to add all of them, Iberians, Gauls, Saxons, Picts, Cornish, Jutas, Frisians, Goths
 it’s ridiculous. You have 27 Germanic/Celtic tribes in the UK alone :
[01: Caledones]
------MORE TRIBES-----

• [22: Durotriges
  • [23: Belgae]
  • [24: Atrebates
  • [25: Regni
  • [26: Cantiaci
  • [27: Trinovantes]
    Just add those two Germans/Celts as an umbrella term and be done with it.
1 Like

Everything what you have written so far does not correspond to historical facts and just insulting my topic. Please come with historical facts instead of personal attacks.

I do that unlike you. I have already corrected the matter with the Byzantines.

Apparently you want not accept historical facts.

No my friend. What I wrote about the Celts and Britons is historically correct. Having “Celts” in a game that is based on a little bit of Antiquity, much Middle ages and few of Early modern times is a bad mistake by the developers. The Celts are basically disappeared from european mainland since the Iron age.

Like for example

You said British, not Britons. Read what you wrote

I agree Celts were irrelevant during the Middle Ages and I wouldn’t have included them in the first place. But they were still celts. What else would they be?

Give just one example. You have been the one with a consistent arrogant attitude through this conversation and you haven’t answered a single question of mine.

That is true yes

It is in the broadest sense the same. Brits or Britons are Island Celts and not West Germans.

You should do that with your statements. You put 2 similar civ names apart, which is nonsensical.

If you start insulting me from the beginning, that everything I have written so far on the subject is wrong, how can you then expect me to show you respect? If you are more polite, then I am with you too. The discussion works well with the other users here, so the fault must be at you, not mine.

But British is a completely different thing.

Their names are similar, they may even share etymology, but they are not the samething.
Similar to Roman and Romanian.

Ok. I don’t think I’ve insulted you. But if anything I said was offensive, then I apologize.
Maybe we can try again and be more civil to each other this time?

They also migrated to britain? I always thought they were the earlier dutch.

1 Like

It is a list of Germanic tribes. Some lived in Britain, some didn’t.
My point is you can;t add them all separately, you need an Umbrella term for them otherwise you will have 52 germanic civs.

1 Like

More than a half is not correct with this sentence.

Of course yes the names are similar and they share the original etymology, you give me right with this statements thank you. British and Britons are both civs with Insular celtic origins, there is nothing to deny.

Yes it was insulting but I accept your apology gladly.

We can do that, if it comes up. Treating each other with respect just makes sense and helps the game and the ideas here a lot more, than beating each other down.

According to my historical research, the Anglosaxons were the first West germanic tribes in England with beginning in the second half of Antiquity approximately 500 AD. The Anglosaxons did then more and more replaced the Britons as an Insular celts native civ and for about 200 to 300 years wish away the Roman British population in between. The English then developed out of them in the Middle ages.

According to my first explanation, it would make sense to add the Anglosaxons and or English to the game if we want to integrate something historically correct and existing in this geographical area.

According the the Cambridge dictionary, “British” is someone or something related to the United Kingdom.
Since the United Kingdom didnt’t exist until the 18th Century, that alone means we cannot add a “British” civ in aoe2.
Britons on the other hand can mean either the Ancient Britons (the preroman people) or someone from Britain. The game clearly chooses the second definition. Althought, just because of the ambiguity, I wouldn’t have chosen it. In other languages, this civ is just called “English”, which in my opinion is a better name.
Regarding the Celt civ, they represent Scots and Irish, which were and still are Celts to this day. So I think the name is ok. However, since this civ seems to exclude Wales, maybe we could consider renaming it to Gaels. But I don’t think Celt is a bad name either, at least not as bad as Britons.

2 Likes

I have also read so far, that the Frisians are related to the Dutch language group.

1 Like

A good approach. The Gaelic are and were a subgroup of the Goidelic languages, which in turn is the sister group of the Britannic languages, both descending from early Insular Celtic. The Gaelic thus cover what is now Ireland and Scotland and we have not yet considered them as a civ in the game. Would be a possibility to deal with such a DLC of these countries in this area in the future and or including together with Anglosaxons and or English.

1 Like

That seems fine to me

Cyber-Romans xd

They were different dynasties from Julius-Claudian to the Constantine dynasty