Aoe 2 de not starting up

hi I have recently downloaded age of empires 2 definitive edition and i get an message come up…

Failed GPU startup

Intel® HD Graphics GPU with vendor id 32902 and device ID 70 is not DirectX 11 compliant.

OK

my lap top details are

operating system: windows 10 pro 64-bit

processor: intel® core™ i5 cpu

directx version: directx 12

I know it needs direct11 so i should be ok with that im guessing it the graphics card coursing me a problem. if so what graphics card would be best to get?

thanks in advance

dave

Hi Dave, welcome here.

You didn’t give you exact CPU model type, but probably you just need to add DirectPlay and reboot your system afterwards.

hi thanks for your reply i have just checked and direct play is there with a tick in the box like you have shown. how do i see my exact cpu model type?

Open device manager and unfold the processor category. While you are there anyway unfold ‘Display controllers’ and right click the Intel HD (is it HD 3000 or HD 4000?) and choose update driver and then search for driver online (through MS update). There might be an updated driver available.

It’s practically impossible to update the video card of any laptop except using external high end solutions for rather new laptops that have a thunderbolt interface.

it doesn’t say HD 300 or HD 400

i have also tried updating the drive as you describe and they said it was up to date.

Okay. It shouldn’t use it anyway as you have AMD Mobility Radeon HD 5000 Series. You could for updates on that one the same way. But it’s below minimal requirements, so that is the reason.

You need at least NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 420 or ATI™ Radeon™ HD 6850 or Intel® HD Graphics 4000 or better with 2 GB VRAM.

ok so a newer pc might be a good idea then. thanks for your help.

1 Like