Aoe 2 de wont launch

Got the Windows Store version of AoE2, running on W10 Pro with latest patches and using a Samba domain user with standard user permissions.
Game (German version & language settings) used to work until I installed the Enhanced Graphics Pack from the Store. Game wont start ever since.

This seems to be a massive bug, just take a look at pissed customers leaving pissed feedback at the Windows Store, all of them complaining about this issue with the German version of the Enhanced Graphics Pack.

Setup / Store will raise an “unexpected” 0x80073D05 error code when trying to reinstall the game. The “launch” button will be available, though.

I removed the AoE2 directory below Users\${user}\Games, and it won’t get recreated, so I don’t have any logs.

Stopping the virus scanner, resetting the game and / or the Graphics Pack, resetting the store itself and changing Windows display language to English didn’t help. No difference at all.

This should be investigated urgently, since it obviously affects a lot of users.

3 Likes