AoE 4 always the same bug since I installed this game when it launched

Game Version:

• Build: 10.1.49
  • Platform: Microsoft Store
  • Operating System: Windows 11 23h2

Issue:

I really don’t know what to do anymore.
Literally since I bought this game I’ve been getting this error attached right after an update.
This has been happening since I bought the game years ago. I simply can’t bear uninstalling and installing again (only then will it work again)
I formatted the computer twice already and this error persists.
I ask for the love of God. I’ve already searched everything on the forum and tried all possible solutions. Once again: I have already formatted the computer twice. My drivers are up to date, that’s not the problem. I’m a very techi guy, so please don’t ask if I already run sfc /scannow, created another user, updated driver etc etc. believe me i tried EVERYTHING.

I’m really giving up this…
Help…please!

Ps: as said. only happens updates from MS store, but it happens ALWAYS after I update the game. I posted below the windows event trasnlated to english since the one attached is in portuguese.

Reproduction Steps:

Just open it from store or icon from desktop

ATTACHMENTS:

:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH A SCREENSHOT IF YOU ARE ABLE!)
:heavy_check_mark: (BONUS: ATTACH A VIDEO OF THE PROBLEM HAPPENING)
:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH YOUR DXDIAG IF YOU ARE ENCOUNTERING A TECHNICAL ISSUE)
:heavy_check_mark: (ATTACH ANY CRASH/GAME LOGS [IF RELEVANT])

DxDiag.txt (96.3 KB)

Faulting application name: RelicCardinal.exe, version: 10.1.48.0, timestamp: 0x00000000
Faulting module name: RelicCardinal.exe, version: 10.1.48.0, timestamp: 0x00000000
Exception code: 0xc0000096
Fault offset: 0x0000000009c76052
Faulting process ID: 0x0x438
Failed application start time: 0x0x1DA83C10E1CF18E
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Cardinal_10.1.49.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\RelicCardinal.exe
Failing module path: C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Cardinal_10.1.49.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe\RelicCardinal.exe
Report ID: 6507fa10-d250-499c-a838-9b0c232cab62
Full name of the failing package: Microsoft.Cardinal_10.1.49.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe
Application ID relative to the failed package: Game

Does changing the game’s language help at all? In Steam.

i already have this kinda issue but somehow i found the solution after many count less of tried, maybe it works for you too, go to Window PowerShell:
Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Cardinal | Remove-AppxPackage

after you did this try to update the game or install, in my case i just bought the game and have this issue in the installation. The file package Microsoft.Cardinal_10.1.49.0_x64__8wekyb3d8bbwe, that’s my problem but since your problem came from this package too maybe you can remove the older one and start to update or reinstall while you reinstall or update the package renewed.

Its from microsoft store, not Steam

OK I’ll try to remove the package once it happens again. The bad thing is that I have to wait for an update to test it. It always happens after a AOE update…

i buy it from microsoft store, try to uninstall and you dont need to delete any file, after that reinstall the game before doing reinstall do the windows powershell step that i suggest to you and good luck :crossed_fingers:

I dont get your steps man.

1. Uninstall
  2. Do the shell thing
    3 reinstall
    Is that it?

Correct :+1:t4:

1. Uninstall
  2. WindowPowershell
    Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.Cardinal | Remove-AppxPackage
    (Make sure you run it as admin)
  3. Reinstall
1 Like

Thanks i will try this, but wouldnt uninstall also uninstall the package as well in theory?

i dont know much about it in theory but when i reinstalled like 2-5 times and i reinstall/relog/cleaning the microsoftstore cache too but the problem still exists till i remove the package with WindowsPowershell, the game wants to install the package but our system (in this case) already has the package so the system blocked the new package installment idk why it blocked the new package so i try to figured out how to uninstall the old package, so when i reinstalled the game the system will install new package without being blocked… it need couple days for me to figured it out haha i just lucky i guess, hope you successfully doin it :+1:t4:

additional tips
maybe you should uninstall/cleaning microsoft store’s cache before proceeding the step incase it won’t works, perhaps it will have more better chance to succeed because i watch many yt videos that microsoft store has a bug but its okay i think if you want to just go straight to the step.