AoE 4 for Linux?

Hi,

I really hope this time the Age of Empires franchise take Linux into account. That would be wonderful!

We can definitely use a Linux version, I know more and more people are switching over to Linux instead of Windows. And currently the only way would be to use Wine, but a native solution has always my preference…

Thanks!

Who agrees??

Regards,
Melroy van den Berg

4 Likes

It’s a Microsoft game, they are pushing their platforms: Windows and Xbox. I doubt it will happen.

It is playable on proton, I tested it in the stress test with better performance than native… However there are some DirectX 12 translation issues which are getting fixed in (vkd3d) by launch. So if you need any help you can report on proton github instead of here. →

2 Likes

Why would Microsoft encourage Linux? Do you also ask Nintendo to release their games on PS5?

Many of the cloud game streaming services run on Linux servers (e.g. Stadia). It doesn’t matter if you are Microsoft, you can’t lose market share by not adapting. The way we play games is evolving and having games locally installed on your pc/console is soon going the way of the dodo, same as it happened with music.

2 Likes

Well that’s their call, isn’t it?

Yeah, it’s up to them, but it’s not as outlandish to think of competing OSes and companies trying to embrace as big of an audience as they can. I mean, after Microsoft ditched the Windows Phones, they have fully adopted Android as their mobile OS of choice, and we know where Android’s kernel comes from.

Microsoft wants to embrace stuff like their API like DirectX… And Direct X is just one of the APIs there is SAPI for sound Win API, GDI syscalls etc…

Thats where valve’s proton comes in It has DXVK (converts DirectX 9,10,11 to Vulkan), SAPI support was just added yesterday to the upstream and Win API calls, GDI syscalls etc. are handled by wine. Proton supports all age of empire titles. Similarly VKD3D comes in to support Direct X 12 → Vulkan. Proton and other custom builds combine everything.

For age 4 work is going on in VKD3D (rendering issues) as other part of the game runs great… you can catchup and report issues on proton github. :slight_smile: So official support doesn’t matter however I will encourage devs here to redirect people to proton issue thread.

1 Like

HI ALL I CAN CONFIRM THAT AGE OF EMPIRES 4 IS NOW COMPLETELY PLAYABLE ON LINUX USING THE LATEST PROTON EXPERIMENTAL.

For Multiplayer you simply have to install the latest vc_redis from Microsoft into the prefix. For support you can reach out to the Proton github issue thread for Age of Empires 4.

:slight_smile: Proton Experimental gets Age of Empires 4 working out of the box on Linux | GamingOnLinux

Here is an article from GamingonLinux. Happy Gaming !

Game occasionally freezes during single player. Always freezes after about 1 minute during multiplayer. POP OS! here.

HI ALL. Im a noob that just switched to linus recently and the game runs really very good! Even In my case, where I kinda went for a haku haku approach and copy-pasted the AOE4 folder to linus, just to save some downloading. I was scared since at proton db is just silver rated.

Pop_OS!
Steam flatpak
Lastest proton-ge-custom release (which is 8-32 at the moment)
Gamemode (installed but not configured yet)
Mangohud (for the overlay and the fps limit, I do VSYNC off also)
And env commands like these
__GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE=1 __GL_SHADER_DISK_CACHE_PATH=“/home/hab/.var/app/com.valvesoftware.Steam/data/Steam/steamapps/common/Age of Empires IV” gamemoderun %command%

I think the most noticeable thing was GAMEMODE and the fps limit with MANGOHUD, still a little crackling with the sound here and there but, runs perfect, even better than with windouws? For the sound I read I just need another env command.