AoE 4 - guide to make this game succesful

1. My main concern is that Ensemble no longer working on it. I think they did fantastic job on the whole series in particular AoE 3. Perhaps would be worth to get this folks involved once again?

2. AoE 3 skill tree with cards was a blast. This HAS to return, possibly improved. More cards, different variety, unique traits for different nations, distinctive but not OP. Treasures and guardians. Keep big map variety.

3. Improved graphics, only improved. Don’t dare to turn this into sugary failed AoE Online for the under-aged. Keep the same style, bloody and gritty. As a Diablo fans used to say ‘keep it dark atmosphered’

4. Please, please. No modern era. We already have SC2. Anything from Ancient till 18th century will be great. I know you haven’t done modern era yet, but most fans wants to keep it old school. There is a lot more ideas than can be used with old rather than modern era. Trailer suggesting modern era, guys don’t :frowning:

5. Final and perhaps the most important tip. Keep this game free of any micro-transactions. AoE never was a micro-transaction game. If you have to then put a high price mark even $70-$80 but deliver quality. Be creative but don’t go to far with experimenting. Let the gamers feel that it’s AoE first and THEN introduce something new.

Best of luck guys and I am looking forward for that beta invitation.

I agree with point 1, 3 and 4. but I feel like they can have skins for units in the game for money, aslong as you can earn them for free rather easy as well by playing games and getting aoe points from them to buy the skins with.(itd be good for the financial state of the game in the long run, and will motivate them to keep releasing patches like league of legends)

the moment the meta becomes stale and the game doesnt get updated, people will start leaving, it’s what happens to most rts games. so they definitely need to think in the long term with this game.

i disagree with point 2. cards was a horrible feature, and made games imbalanced from the get go. I want an even playing field for aoe4, any tactical choice should be made in the game itself, not outside.

@bubble said:
I agree with point 1, 3 and 4. but I feel like they can have skins for units in the game for money, aslong as you can earn them for free rather easy as well by playing games and getting aoe points from them to buy the skins with.(itd be good for the financial state of the game in the long run, and will motivate them to keep releasing patches like league of legends)

the moment the meta becomes stale and the game doesnt get updated, people will start leaving, it’s what happens to most rts games. so they definitely need to think in the long term with this game.

i disagree with point 2. cards was a horrible feature, and made games imbalanced from the get go. I want an even playing field for aoe4, any tactical choice should be made in the game itself, not outside.

With all honesty I think cards increased AoE 3 lifespan. There was MUST HAVE cards in every deck such as factories but there was also lots of cards to suit your play-style. If you wanted to be naval champion you chose naval cards. If you wanted to go inf, you chosed infantry cards. You never had same decks in every game, each one was different and helped in different way. I also think cards were a roulette as well. If you decided to go full improvement, you didnt had some starting edge like extra resources. So someone who went early resources army cards, had more edge at the start.

I see your point of view but at end of the day it was all about multitasking skills rather than cards. I used to be treaty player 60 minutes, played with most experiences guys and it was always about being smart. First one to shootout resources = dead.

I liked experimenting with cards, I enjoyed it a lot. I think they add to this game. But to settle this argument I suggest 2 game modes, one WITH and one WITHOUT cards.

well we can see how the card/moba mechanic in halo wars 2 turned out, so i dont think they’ll go with cards lol

And what exactly HW2 got to do with AoE?

Comparing onion to apple. Different mechanics, different games.

What worked for one may not work for the other.

Lets see more comments about it, maybe some more guys will join this conversation.

@Panmisiek86 said:
And what exactly HW2 got to do with AoE?

Comparing onion to apple. Different mechanics, different games.

What worked for one may not work for the other.

Lets see more comments about it, maybe some more guys will join this conversation.

and yet, you seem to not take your own advice. Modern game according to you will be Sc2 (even though it’s not based around modern times, and is in a fictional sci-fi setting… but whatever) regardless of mechanics implemented, and potential to be a different game.

AoE has never been gritty. It’s always sunny in Age of Empires.

Heres my take:
#1------> Ensemble Studios was disbanded in 2009 but it would be great to get some of the more prominent developers that have moved on back in action.
#2------> I totally agree that Microsoft needs to bring back the card and skill tree system. Here are my reasons why:
a. The skill tree is all about advancement and earning more power through playtime which is a huge goal oriented focused path for players to achieve.
b. The card system is good on many levels both in game strategy and marketing. Game strategy is exactly what it is, players get to set up a deck how they like to play, its not meant to be balanced its meant to show an individuals strategy over anothers. If they do bring back the card system they MUST add an option to disable decks when playing a pvp match solely relying on the civs unique style and skill tree. Marketing cards would also be good, Instead of making some cards specific to only one civ they would all be able to be collected through either finding them in reward chests or for purchase in micro transaction form. Microsoft could release 100+ cards and it would be another way that players will continue to play to collect them all.
#3------> This one is tricky, I want great graphics as well but there are issues that Microsoft will have to think about. Budget friendly graphics requirements for the average person? Make it more fantasy look or realistic? I prefer realistic over cartoon but if they could come up with a middle area while still providing high quality in play and graphic than im okay with that.
#4------> I agree, im not looking for a modern age of empires, if that does happen than they will lose a fan. There are way to many titles out there that already do this and I dont see a modern age game becoming a big hit as it travels so far from the ancient times to the modern days. Age is known for its historic timeline, We wont have cavalry, cannons, broad cannon side ships, archers, etc. It just wouldnt be the same.
#5------> I disagree, here are my reasons:
Microsoft is making a game and is investing into the life of the age of empires franchise. I think its only fair that Microsoft adds micro transactions of some form in order to continue to cover the support and development of the age 4 game. I for one want to see age 4 survive longer than a year before it gets retired due to not enough monetary generation. If they do add in micro transactions than I hope they are in forms of vanity purposes over pay to win features. Things like cards (PVE), vanity skins, home town buildings and deco would all make good micro transactions.

Heres my take:

1------> Ensemble Studios was disbanded in 2009 but it would be great to get some of the more prominent developers that have moved on back in action.

2------> I totally agree that Microsoft needs to bring back the card and skill tree system. Here are my reasons why:
a. The skill tree is all about advancement and earning more power through playtime which is a huge goal oriented focused path for players to achieve.

b. The card system is good on many levels both in game strategy and marketing. Game strategy is exactly what it is, players get to set up a deck how they like to play, its not meant to be balanced its meant to show an individuals strategy over anothers. If they do bring back the card system they MUST add an option to disable decks when playing a pvp match solely relying on the civs unique style and skill tree. Marketing cards would also be good, Instead of making some cards specific to only one civ they would all be able to be collected through either finding them in reward chests or for purchase in micro transaction form. Microsoft could release 100+ cards and it would be another way that players will continue to play to collect them all.

3------> This one is tricky, I want great graphics as well but there are issues that Microsoft will have to think about. Budget friendly graphics requirements for the average person? Make it more fantasy look or realistic? I prefer realistic over cartoon but if they could come up with a middle area while still providing high quality in play and graphic than im okay with that.

4------> I agree, im not looking for a modern age of empires, if that does happen than they will lose a fan. There are way to many titles out there that already do this and I dont see a modern age game becoming a big hit as it travels so far from the ancient times to the modern days. Age is known for its historic timeline, We wont have cavalry, cannons, broad cannon side ships, archers, etc. It just wouldnt be the same.
5------> I disagree, here are my reasons:

Microsoft is making a game and is investing into the life of the age of empires franchise. I think its only fair that Microsoft adds micro transactions of some form in order to continue to cover the support and development of the age 4 game. I for one want to see age 4 survive longer than a year before it gets retired due to not enough monetary generation. If they do add in micro transactions than I hope they are in forms of vanity purposes over pay to win features. Things like cards (PVE), vanity skins, home town buildings and deco would all make good micro transactions.

@bubble said:

It didn’t happen to BW or Go or Shogi or Chess. Metas are precisely that - meta. They are about what’s popular at the time, and a half decent game will always have counter-strats that take over the meta later in response. Players learn, adapt, and overcome.

Constant patching can kill a game because good players have to keep re-learning how to play - it makes it very difficult to build up a library of wisdom over time because most everything gets invalidated by the next patch. The games mentioned above are incredibly rich because they have stayed largely the same for so long - players can pull out old strategies to surprise their opponents. There’s history. There’s a collective, deep understanding and love of the game and its nuances that develops over time.

Yeah there should be some patches in the beginning as the initial kinks are worked out, but if your game needs you to fiddle with the settings every month to be fun it’s just not a very good multiplayer game.

100% agree here. The only deck-building game I enjoy is Tooth & Tail, and it’s very different from AoE.

@“Andy P” said:
AoE has never been gritty. It’s always sunny in Age of Empires.

Ah…nice to see that someone has remember Bruce Shelley. Great guy he is, he always said that. Play settlers 3 by the way, another great game.

Heres my take:

1------> Ensemble Studios was disbanded in 2009 but it would be great to get some of the more prominent developers that have moved on back in action.
2------> I totally agree that Microsoft needs to bring back the card and skill tree system. Here are my reasons why:

3------> This one is tricky, I want great graphics as well but there are issues that Microsoft will have to think about. Budget friendly graphics requirements for the average person? Make it more fantasy look or realistic? I prefer realistic over cartoon but if they could come up with a middle area while still providing high quality in play and graphic than im okay with that.
4------> I agree, im not looking for a modern age of empires, if that does happen than they will lose a fan. There are way to many titles out there that already do this and I dont see a modern age game becoming a big hit as it travels so far from the ancient times to the modern days. Age is known for its historic timeline, We wont have cavalry, cannons, broad cannon side ships, archers, etc. It just wouldnt be the same.
5------> I disagree, here are my reasons:

Pro tip: drop Relic.

There’s that pre-information hate I knew we had in us.

@“Andy P” said:
There’s that pre-information hate I knew we had in us.

Good, I can feel your anger. I am defenceless. Take your weapon. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!