AoE IV playercount is now below AoE 2

“Random forum poster disproves the existence of a certification process”

This is some basic game dev ■■■■ man.

2 Likes

It’s already been certified after the last “fix”.

Both Delhi and Abbasid are successfully put down to the bottom of the civ tier. Just as Saracens have been in AoE2 for 20 years. Delhi’s “fix”… no words.

Now it only needs another slight nerf to Delhi and Abbasid to become: Officially eternally certified
:registered:

Everyone has some kind of certification process. Claiming that theirs look different and it’s not Relics fault is pure speculation whether you like it or not.

i can say from my experience alpha testing coh2 updates and the DLCs that relics process was much faster, but the amount of bugs going through wasn’t bigger and they could actually do patches very fast if needed

Every company probably has their own version of a certification process.
Some may take longer than others.
I’m having more trouble believing all companies have the same kind tbh.

I get the drift of what you are saying but… A well respected content creator in the aoe scene who’s been doing it for many years has likely (almost definitely) had contact with devs that work under Microsoft. I really don’t think that is a stretch at all. He also has a huge following which would make him less inclined to make things up out of thin air. Random people in aoe forums on the other hand? not so sure.

If you think he is saying it to try and excuse Relic’s mismanagement or to protect the game then you must not have seen his last upload. He explains how he isn’t enjoying the game at the moment and thinks Relic need to figure out a way to push through more frequent updates & that the certification process isn’t gonna cut it.

A silver lining being that once Microsoft have certified X number of updates Relic will eventually get the go ahead to not need to go through that process and update the game directly. Hopefully this is sooner rather than later.

Sorry, man. But that’s not the first time he makes a video based on a reddit post.

That’s what I am saying… where are you getting that from? Where is your proof of that?

• and don’t just link a reddit post because that doesn’t prove a single thing about how AD acquired his information.

I’ve been following him since he showed up a year ago with his AoE3 content so I have some basic idea of how he operates. He never stated that as a fact as well, but people as usual take the wrong idea and keep quoting that as some kind of gospel.

2 Likes

He’s been making aoe3 content for way longer than a year. And yes that is true he never stated it as fact but I’m not sure that is feasible as evidence that he got it from reddit. I do get your point though and I definitely don’t know for certain that he didn’t get it from reddit. I think you understand what I am saying too. Lets agree to disagree.

1 Like

I just searched for microsoft store certification process:

“When you finish creating your app’s submission and click Submit to the Store , the submission enters the certification step. This process usually is completed within a few hours, though in some cases it may take up to three business days. After your submission passes certification, it can take up to 24 hours for customers to see the app’s listing for a new submission, or for an updated submission with changes to packages.”

So 3 business days plus 24 hours, should be less than a week total elapsed time, even if there’s a weekend splitting up the business days.

2 Likes

Pretty sure the app certification process isn’t the same process a company working internally with Microsoft updating a triple A title would have to take. I think they are completely different things, but I do not know that for certain. This is all speculation really.

• I’d imagine that link is for indie companies uploading apps to Microsoft Store, which is not the same thing Relic are doing.
2 Likes

That would be the same for Forza Horizon 5 then? FH5 update history:

There were updates on Dec 3rd, 7th and 14th, which is consistent with the timescales in my link.

2 Likes

yes true, could very well be the case. We don’t have enough information to know either way. They could have been submitted for certification 3 weeks prior but just spaced out like that, or they could have already been granted access to update directly. You may be onto something though and you may well be correct. Who know’s. This discussion has definitely made realise we just do not/cannot really know the answer. Thanks for finding these sources.

Please just stop. What you linked here has nothing to do with the development of this game.

We will never know what steps are taken internally at Relic or MS to approve a feature or change (apart from some vague statements thrown around on their streams, they’d never tell us specifics. Why should they?).

And why should we care about that process anyway? They can quadruple peer review every line of code and certify up and down all the involved companies…the only thing that matters is what ends up on our hard drives. If a patch is garbage and introduces more bugs, someone effed up. That’s all you need to know.

4 Likes

What you just said does not argue against my point, quite the opposite. The statement was “ausse also mentioned on his video about the certification process which has to do with Microsoft and it delays the release of patches”, i.e. the claim was that the Microsoft Store certification process is what is delaying the release of patches. My link relates to that, showing that the published MS Store certification process does not cause delays longer than a week. If they want to take however long for internal reasons, that is up to them, but that doesn’t justify people pointing the finger at the MS Store certification process as the cause of the slow update schedule.

AoE 4 is really SLOW at everything!!! The game has so much potential and now it’s slowly fading after just 2 months!!!

3 Likes

Yes, yes it does. I’m telling you that the certification process for ms store apps has nothing to do with how MS and Relic interact when it comes to AOE4.

Yes, yes it is justified for people to be upset. Why should we care about their internal bureaucracy? They created those structures. If those structures are not up to handle the dynamic needs of their own quick and dirty style of game development (releasing patches not just slow, but also introducing new bugs), maybe the system should go right out the window.

1 Like

Microsoft typically certifies a game within 48 hours, and also does have a same day certification process in place for emergency hotfixes etc.

However there are certifications submission windows. If you miss your certification window you have to wait for the next one. Same goes if your certification fails, it can delay things by about a week or so.

When I go to the “top” posts on the forums, it’s funny how 75% of them are practically the community BEGGING the developers to fix so many different things.

I WANT this game to succeed

I waited 12 years, and shat a brick when they announced it.

But the realist in me sees the way game studios and developers operate today has seeped it’s way into this development and turned what could’ve been an amazing 10+year lasting game into a quick Christmas cash grab.

After being relatively involved in the forms and community since launch, and playing a decent amount of hours, I can safely say I am fully disappointed in the state of release and progress so far

“BuT ThEY ReLeaSsEd pATCh”

Yeah, after a month, with multiple game breaking exploits on launch, after thousands of cheesed rus relic games, infinite Abbasid spear ranges, etc etc.

The devs need to focus everything they have on this game, right now, or there won’t be a community to fix anything for.

7 Likes