AoE IV playercount is now below AoE 2

I play both game still and AOE3

1 Like

Does the steam charts account for players using the Microsoft launcher? Im guessing that PC Game Pass subscripers makes up a decent proportion of the playerbase, but I dont know if these are also accounted for in steams charts?

No those are not counted by Steam charts.

on aoeiv.net you can count xbox pass accs urself at least for mp

2 Likes

After going through page after page after page…from the bottom of the ladder toward the top, my head hurts.

Can somebody tell me how to code a bot to count all of unique Game Pass accounts on the ladder?

1 Like

I also think that the next patch will be pivotal in either reassuring wavering players, or signalling the end because they aren’t fixing things that the actual players ask for (and not prioritizing theoretical eSports success for example).

3 Likes

Hello
In my opinion you cant compare aoe2 with aoe4, aoe2 ia a 20 year old game and is played by the same players without new players joining, without new challenges. A new game like aoe4 has to try to get new players into the game, which it did initially, now have to be the players to help the game improve and please more and more people. If we re all going to play aoe2 again, se won’t go beyond the same and let’s bem honest, aoe2 ia boring for any player under 30 years. We really want to continue to be the best on our street um a game that os 20 years old. No thanks, i stay on aoe4 trying to improve the game and myself as a player
Sorry for bad English, is from the translator🤣

3 Likes

Age of empires 2 has far more PvE content, and most people play almost exclusively PvE. They play campaign and against AI, not multiplayer. Stuff like campaigns, map editor and modding support are more crucial for longevity than online gaming.

Yeah, actually it would be cool if Age 4 included a “retro mode” with the campaigns from Age 2.

Perhaps a mod mixing both games (Age 2 & 4) would be cool as well. The ideas about building rams on the field, the neutral markets, weaker buildings, and having full freedom in Feudal Age to build as many TC’s as needed are all great. Sometimes the community itself agrees though mods on its preferred gameplay (as it happened with Dota). It’s a win-win situation for the developers as well.

not true. Lots of new players all the time. I’ve only been playing it for about a year and in that elo range have met countless new players.

I am 23, everyone I’ve played with is under 30. Literally every one. You have no clue what you’re talking about :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I didn’t say that there weren’t players under 30, of course there are, but is not an attractive game for younger players, due to the graphics and other things. Steam Numbers show that aoe2 keeps the same players but doesn’t increase. If we want to have an aoe as a next esports game, it won’t be aoe2

2 Likes

It isn’t the scenario.

I disagree, I’m 23 and have played age of empires since 8

1 Like

I disagree as well. I’m 26 and I played AoE 1 and 2 in kindergarden

1 Like

I’m old and ugly, but I sure wasn’t when AoE2 launched, and I remember adoring it.

Of course, the young of today aren’t the same, preferences and standards do change, so I don’t know what good it does to say that the children of the past liked a new thing.

1 Like

It has a name Game Pass … Have you added Game Pass players from AOE IV ?

1 Like

AOE IV playercount greater than AOE II (3 months ago): oh great achievement! Shame on you haters!

AOE IV playercount below AOE II (now): different game…different playerbase…Christmas…game pass…not comparable…

6 Likes

People who say this game isn’t dying just stick their fingers in their ear and say “but muh game pass”. You do realize people can also play aoe2 on game pass right? If you look at steam stats aoe2 can have upwards of 8k more players at a point and it always has more people playing it than aoe4. There’s also people playing on game pass for aoe2 so let’s not forget about that. This is what happens when you release a game without so many features the other games had: scenario editor, change player colour, global queue, mod support, fully customisable hotkeys, ranked queue. Also the trash ai, trash balance, chat censor that censors everything you say, people disconnecting everyone in a match so they don’t have the match count as a loss. A new game should improve and add features but this game just removes almost everything the other games had and people will get excited when relic slowly drip feeds them these features from previous games.

4 Likes

I think more people who prefer AoE2 will be playing on steam because steams older and more aoe2 players will have been playing it for a long time, Bought it a while back.

Another positive factor is that many people own both games, So its just as likely that they will be willing to bounce back and forth as patches are released, Ranked for example will be a big one.

So is the game dead? I don’t think so. The quick match que is still fast, Another big player base keen to hop back in when more interesting features are added and (so far) a pretty solid and regular patch roadmap.

2 Likes

Just looked it up. aoe2 DE is number 104 on ‘Most popular games’ on Xbox game pass, whilst aoe4 is 106. So, whilst I thought you would be correct in your statement about game pass, turns out its not actually true. For reference that’s page 2 of the list. So its looking really great for both of them, which is the best outcome by far!

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/store/most-popular/games/pc?s=store&skipitems=90