AOE IV uses Essence Engine 5

Approved by Ian Thomson that works Lead Rendering Engineer at Relic on AOE IV

I hear you’re involved in a big Essence Engine upgrade right now, can you explain it to a luddite like me?

Basically, we’re rebuilding a lot of the system, but the broad goal is to make our games perform better. Whether that means more units, the same number of units with better behaviors, or better stability, we want our games to perform better for a wider audience.
Relic Entertainment | Game with us.

2 Likes

Interesting. Thanks mate.

Do you think we’ll hear new info soon?

I’ve read that interview but he says he only works on the engine, he didn’t mention AOE4. On the other hand why would they upgrade their engine with a new version if it wasn’t for their current big project, which is AOE4. They could still be using a different licensed engine for AOE4 (I doubt they would develop a 2nd in house engine just for AOE4) and use the new Essence only for COH3 which is allegedly also in development (they had a quiz in October asking fans what they wanted for next COH), but that’s less likely imho.

*edited

@IamDalv said:
I’ve read that interview but he says he only works on the engine, he didn’t mention AOE4. On the other hand why would they upgrade their engine with a new version if it wasn’t for their big current project, which is AOE4.

They Need to move thousand of units on maps with excelent performance and details.

I Hope we’ll see some artworks or screenshots now that AODE is available

1 Like

That AOE IV will use Relics own Engine is not surprising to me. That said I’m very excited to see the game in action but Microsoft also has two other DE titles in the works (2 and 3) as well as a rumored DE version of Myth coming down the line.

The DE versions of 2 and 3 will most likely come out Before 4 and to that end I Think we won’t see gameplay of 4 for a while (they would not want 4 to overshadow the upcomming DE:s).

I will say that I predict we’ll see another trailer or get some more info on it at E3 this year at the earliest.

1 Like

WintryPainter69 But that could take 4 years or longer to release Definitive Editions only, so Aoe4 would release 2022 at the earliest (or 2023,2024).
I don’t think this will happen because Shannon Loftis said they are working on Aoe4 for a long time already.

And Relic Entertainment posted a lot of AoE Tweets recently + they are working on “the next big game”.
I think this could be an intimation getting new Aoe4 information soon. Most likely on E3 or Gamescom all the latest.

Forgotten Empires is working on the Definitive Editions, so Relic has time to work on Aoe farther, I think.

1 Like