AoE: Rise of Rome running at 60 fps, 2560x1440 on Windows 10

Hi guys,

While waiting for the Definitive Edition to arrive, I have been playing the original game with the Rise of Rome expansion using the UPatch. The game has aged very well and scales extremely well with newer hardware. The widescreen resolutions allow for a greater view and scale of things making observing things much more convenient. I have recorded a video of me playing the game at 60 fps, 2560x1440 on Windows 10, hope you enjoy. I must add that the original game in my opinion looks better than the upcoming remaster. The new berry bushes, thicker and more comic-like units and the intensity of player colours do not appeal to me at all. Same can be said about the water. Nonetheless, I am really excited for a revamped AI, increased population count, A-Move and many more features that the Definitive Edition will bring.

Wish you all a great day.

Same opinion here.

Problem is the assets can’t upscale, then although you have big resolution, all UI elements and units are tiny and barely visible.

@Danicela said:
Problem is the assets can’t upscale, then although you have big resolution, all UI elements and units are tiny and barely visible.

Does anybody know if the units in classic mode will allow upscale? Or they will look like this video?

You’ll probably be able to zoom in. They’ll just look more blocky. They managed to do it with the old cheat units, so that would apply to all the old graphics :slight_smile:

Upscaling of assets results in decreased quality and sharpness. So unless somebody would re-draw the sprites from scratch, there would be no way to make them look bigger on such a high resolution without decreasing the scale of units, buildings and other assets by making them smaller, stretching the UI and zooming out.

I personally prefer to have such an extended field of view, it is especially nice to have during skirmishes and battles as you can observe them in all of their glory and with massive amounts of units present. You also have to scroll a lot less because of the field of view that you have, where as in the original non-patched version, the field of view was so small and narrow, you couldn’t see past three buildings and had to scroll a lot whenever you had to keep track of all the action. Everything might look a bit tiny, but if you actually watch the video in fullscreen, you can see that everything looks pretty good and is well seen. In-game it looks even better. However I do agree that someone could have difficulties seeing things and playing the game, it is a matter of preference. I personally really enjoy playing like that, you can see your entire city, your entire army and a really good portion of the map, you also barely have to scroll across the map unless you are playing on really huge maps with a lot of players involved. Nothing beats marching a huge army across the map towards your opponent and seeing it in its entirety :smile:

@Cybertox said:
Upscaling of assets results in decreased quality and sharpness. So unless somebody would re-draw the sprites from scratch, there would be no way to make them look bigger on such a high resolution without decreasing the scale of units, buildings and other assets by making them smaller, stretching the UI and zooming out.

I personally prefer to have such an extended field of view, it is especially nice to have during skirmishes and battles as you can observe them in all of their glory and with massive amounts of units present. You also have to scroll a lot less because of the field of view that you have, where as in the original non-patched version, the field of view was so small and narrow, you couldn’t see past three buildings and had to scroll a lot whenever you had to keep track of all the action. Everything might look a bit tiny, but if you actually watch the video in fullscreen, you can see that everything looks pretty good and is well seen. In-game it looks even better. However I do agree that someone could have difficulties seeing things and playing the game, it is a matter of preference. I personally really enjoy playing like that, you can see your entire city, your entire army and a really good portion of the map, you also barely have to scroll across the map unless you are playing on really huge maps with a lot of players involved. Nothing beats marching a huge army across the map towards your opponent and seeing it in its entirety :smile:

Most of that is truly awesome, but it does get tough to micro when your units are microscopic

The only other thing I would complain about is double-click selecting doesn’t work well, since you grab half the map.

Other than those two things, it’s an unbeatable experience

@sonictimm said:

@Cybertox said:

Most of that is truly awesome, but it does get tough to micro when your units are microscopic

The only other thing I would complain about is double-click selecting doesn’t work well, since you grab half the map.

Other than those two things, it’s an unbeatable experience

Yeah it can prove to be a challenge to some people. Double-clicking is a convenience when selecting military units but an inconvenience when managing select villagers. Micro doesn’t seem to be difficult for me like you can see in the video, yeah at few instances I would come across some challenge but mainly because of the poor spawn of animals or because of the terrain generation which happens regardless. There are definitely advantages and disadvantageous to it but I feel like the amount of advantages greatly exceeds the disadvantages.

I have uploaded a second video with a higher bitrate which offers better quality. The match this time around is also a much more interesting one than the first one, which was pretty one-sided. There were back and forth skirmished towards the mid-game. Definitely more entertaining to watch.

That is the biggest point, they don’t have to chose one or another, they just have to give the players the option and we will choose what is better for us. By doing this they please everyone.