AOE-V should be based on AOE-3

That already exists… is the AoE Online:mechanics of aoe 3 (treasures and the capital) in the time of aoe 1 (classical antiquity)…on the other hand an aom 2 would not be bad based on the gameplay of aoe 4 would not be bad…

1 Like

unfortunatelly flopped hard because ms greed on microtransaction and aoe 2 elitism on non-disney-graph. It’s a shame that this is happening again with aoe 4.

1 Like

Yes, it’s a shame, I also criticized the game for its cartoon aspect, but then when I tried it with celestial project in 2017, I loved it and currently it is my second favorite aoe (yes, it is better than the aoe 4 for sure)…

1 Like

AoE 3 doesn’t need a spin-off because it’s still modern and visually appealing. AoE 4 is just such a modern spin-off of AoE 2 with “prettier” 3D graphics and the “asymmetry” of civs.

The only classic game in the series that could use a spin-off is AoE 1. AoE in a medieval time frame with modern graphics with asymmetric civs and modern playability would be something beautiful.

Thus:

• We have old (AoE2) and new (AoE4) Medieval AoE
  • We have an old but modern (AoE3) Early Modern AoE
  • We have an old (AoE1) and controversial conversion (RoR DLC for AoE2) Antiquity AoE

So we see which AoE game really needs a spin-off.

2 Likes

I’ve been thinking since the release of AoE 3 that AoE 4 will be a game about WW1 and WW2. A moment before showing AoE 4, I thought it would be a game from Napoleonic times to the interwar period.

Therefore, AoE 4 was a disappointment for me (but I forgave and think it’s a decent but no epic game).

There is still a chance for AoE games to come out in a newer timeframe - BUT AS A SPIN-OFF OF AoE GAMES SERIES. AoM is such a spin-off, so games about modern times could also be a spin-off of the AoE series like AoM. The 20th century offers more advanced warfare on land, sea and air - so this series would have features that other AoE games don’t have, but this series could take some good ideas from them like Home Cities and HC shipment.

The working name for such a spin-off of the AoE series - Age of Wars.

2 Likes

I agree about the WWI but not the WW2, WW2 is already too modern for AoE (AoE would have to compete with major games like Men at War, Company of Heroes, etc). What I want to see is that sweet spot between the Crimean Wars to the Great War, where the old cavalry charges meet the trenches and machine gun emplacement.
The game would have us not only build our bases but also walls, bunkers, trenches, etc. Where sieging yours and your enemies base would be a slow and grueling pace.

1 Like

The AoE gameplay would have nothing to do with those games, even though they were from a similar era.

2 Likes

Imo the next game they should give the “AoE-4” treatment should be AoE-1 as it has always had a really interesting time period (the dawn of civilization and the transition from small farming villages to powerful early empires) that never really had a chance since the definitive edition that was supposed to be it’s triumphant return ended up a janky abandoned mess with horrendous pathfinding and no new updates.

It is the only game out of the series that until VERY recently hasn’t really gotten a meaningful update since 1999.

As I said it has a really interesting time period that is rare to see in RTS games (the bronze age and early iron age).

3 Likes

We have AoE Online too…It works for me…The game needs a DE version for its 15th anniversary in 2026…

1 Like

Classical antiquity should definitely be the next time period an AOE game should be set in.

Beyond the time period, I mean the mechanics. The mechanics proposed in AOE-3 could be applied to many different periods, such as the mercenary contract, bonding with minor tribes or factions, and some mechanic similar to the metropolis that represents the support of a major city.

3 Likes

Something like cards and homecity will never return to an AoE.

3 Likes

No, but something similar like the imperial council could come back. It doesn’t have to be that complex.

Maybe with some strategic option to prevent the cards from arriving to your enemy’s base? Like blockading them on water maps or otherwise cutting their communication lines on land maps.

1 Like

We have AoE Online for that…AoE 5 needs to be modern (with AoE 3 mechanics of course)…You have:

2 Antiquity AoE: AoE 1 and AoEO

2 Medieval AoE: AoE 2 and AoE 4 (5 Medieval AoE if you count AoE Castle Siege, AoE World Domination and the upcoming AoE Mobile too)

1 Colonial/Industrial AoE: AoE 3

1 Mithological AoE: AoM and AoM Retold

1 Modern AoE: AoE 5?

1 Future AoE: AoE 6?

AoE Reboot in the Antiquity: AoE 7?

1 Like

I disagree about Age of Empires Online. Despite seeing that there are people who like this game in this community, I’ve never played it and I’ve never seen anyone play it, none of my friends know it, in short, it’s not popular, it doesn’t exist for sale on Steam. Not even my Steam friends are interested in looking for it. Another thing, Age of Empires Online is too cartoony, too childish.

I love ancient age, but I want a normal AoE, sold on Steam, with campaign, single player and multiplayer.

Age of Empires Online for me and for many, it’s like it was never released, it’s like it didn’t exist. It’s the same thing as releasing a game like Counter Strike Online, some know others have never seen it. I know that some will say, but Age of Empires Online is not focused on the Asian market like Counter Strike Online, but that doesn’t change the fact that a lot of people don’t know about it and aren’t interested in playing it, because they can’t find it to buy at Steam or another major store.

The question is, there isn’t an Age of Empires focused on ancient times that is with a modern and current engine.

I think Age of Empirs VI could focus on the first and second wars. But I think “future” should never be done, because if you’re going to do a future RTS, just release a new IP with another name.

2 Likes

AOE3 - my favorite game of all time. I find it way superior to IV.

4 Likes

YESSSS!!! , JUST … YESSSS TO ALL THIS!!! (dont forget treaty mode… for players that are still struggling with ffa mode and random rushing at any age…)

1 Like

It’s available both on Steam and on Project Celeste…after the cartoon graphics, I agree with you, at first they didn’t convince me, but then you end up getting used to it…

Good point, we’ll see what World Edge decides to do with the future of the saga…

I think it only appears in your country or your steam library. But for new players, I didn’t find Age of Empires Online on Steam, for me it doesn’t exist. I even found a page on “google.com” saying that Age of Empires Online was being added to Steam, but the publication date is from the year 2012 and when I try to access the link, the game no longer exists on Steam.
If you can, send the link to the Steam store where Age of Empires Online is for download, I want to see if I can find the game here.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that FREE to Play games are for some people. Not everyone likes to access and register on another site and play only with an online focus. Otherwise, there would be no more paid games, everything would be Free to play and with a total focus on online.

But me and my friends don’t like cartoon visuals in games. I’ve even played games with a “cube” look, but I only lasted a few months. Playing it for a few weeks or months is one thing, now Playing it for years, then one has to really like the game or have a mind set on those cartoon visuals. In short, it’s like food, everyone has their own taste.

1: Install The Original Game

[OPTION 1] Install the original game using Steam (if you want to play it in Steam)
  • 1: You need to install STEAM and create an account if you haven’t already.
  • 2: Follow this link to install “Age Of Empires Online” steam://install/105430
[OPTION 2] Install the original game without using Steam (if you want to play it without Steam)
  • 1: You need to download the game using this link AOEO_Setup.exe
  • 2: Once the download is complete you can install the game (You can install in the default installation directory, or you can install the game in a custom location).
Install the game on Linux (if you want to play it in Linux)

2: Install Celeste Fan Project Patch

• 1: You need to download CelesteLauncher.zip
  • 2: Once the download is finished you’ll need to extract the .zip file’s contents.
    • If you installed through Steam, extract the files directly into the “Age Of Empires Online” folder within your steam library. (By default, this is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Age Of Empires Online )
    • Otherwise, if you did not use Steam, create a folder in your Documents folder (Named anything you’d like) and extract the contents there.
  • 3: You can create a s####### to the Celeste Launcher by right-clicking the Celeste Launcher’s executable file then clicking “Copy To > Desktop (Shortcut)”. You will use the celeste launcher (or that shortcut) to open the game.

Note: If you used Steam to install the game and want to use Steam to launch the Celeste Launcher correctly, then click on the Hammer Button in the launcher, then “Convert to Steam Game”. Steam should now launch the Celeste Launcher instead of the old, original launcher that is broken.

3: Play AOEO Celeste Fan Project

[OPTION 1] Play AOEO Celeste Fan Project Using Celeste Launcher
  • 1: Launch “Celeste Launcher.exe” by using the shorcut on your desktop created during previous step (Install Celeste Fan Project Patch) .
  • 2: Click on register if don’t have already an account, if not go to step 4.
  • 3: Register your account (you need to use an valid email).
  • 4: Login using your credetentials.
  • 5: Set the game language in celeste launcher if incorrect.
  • 6: Click “PLAY” and enjoy the game :).

(Images of the game)…

Good point, you can still play scenarios offline without having to play them online per se, but the fun is lost a bit, since offline is still like playing in the AoE 2 scenario editor…

1 Like