AOE2 DE Framerate Drops on RTX 3090

2022 - Devs could you test performance of this game on a 3090 please?

Hi @Species678 !

Sorry for the delay. We are now tracking this issue!

1 Like

I am still struggling with what feels like this, or a very similar issue, on a 3080. After less than one game, or maybe on my 2nd game of RM, I will get my frame rate dropping to exactly 2/3 of the set/desired frame rate. The game feels laggy consistent with the frame rate. If I uncap the frame rate, it will shoot up, but still feel choppy, if I restrict it again it will always go back to being 2/3 of whatever cap I set!! So bizarre, and quite frustrating.

Hi @Blither86
Could you check temperatures when you have these frame rate drops?
Thank you!

Hi @Felizon89 I have been having these issues for weeks now, so I have collected quite a lot of data whilst trying various different things to get rid of the issue. As I play with non-UHD graphics but in 4k and on an RTX 3080 the game just plods along with essentially zero temperature change, once it gets to about 45 degrees C. I would be happy to share full details that I can see via MSI Afterburner whilst playing.

Last night I went through my NVidia Control Panel 3D program settings and changed power management mode to ā€œprefer maximum performanceā€, I went through every single setting with a fine tooth comb to put them on whatever would give better performance, at the expense of visuals.

With the 10GB 3080 I also have an R5 3600 with 32GB of memory running at 3600mhz, with PBO enabled.

Yesterday I tried turning off ā€œnight modeā€ on Windows 10, just in case, and closing my browsers and things like that, trying to give it the best chance possible not to happen, but it still consistently happened.

The really curious thing is that I can remove V-sync and uncap the frame rate, and it shoots up to 350 ish, so it doesnā€™t seem like the PC is struggling with the demand, but when I cap it again it absolutely consistently returns to 2/3 of the requested frame rate. This might not be a problem if it was also smooth, but say I cap it at 90FPS, so FRAPS determines itā€™s showing 60fps, it still feels laggy and bad, as if itā€™s truly running at 40 on a 60hz monitor.

Tonight I will try and play some games at different resolutions to see if that has anything to do with it. I would be happy to record my screens that show MSI Afterburner graphs running alongside the game.

1 Like

@Felizon89 Well, after some more testing tonight I am a little embarrassed to say, I think I have found out what the issue was: Using Fraps to count the frame rate as opposed to, well, anything else. I turned Fraps off and just used the Steam overlay to show the FPS counter andā€¦ It didnā€™t happen, game after game after game. I played for long enough to be sure, so I think Iā€™ve solved it, Fraps doesnā€™t play well with this game when played on my setup.

2 Likes

These kind if things happen sometimes, using overlays interfere by some way in AoE2, Iā€™m glad you found it :slight_smile:
If I read more reports similar to yours, Iā€™ll ask if they use Fraps 11

Thanks for the info!

1 Like