AOE2 DE Framerate Drops on RTX 3090

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: 4#####
  • PLATFORM: Steam / Microsoft Store

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Previously I ran Aoe2DE on a 1080ti flawlessly. The game was absolutely butter-smooth, 120+ fps constant, even in large 8 player battles. I recently installed an RTX 3090 along with all latest drivers.
All other titles that I play are running flawlessly except for AoE2DE. There seems to be an issue where framerates suddenly drop and creates a lag/stutter. I am (and always have been) using the Enhanced Graphics Pack and playing at 4k

Could you folks over at Forgotten Empires try to snag a 3080/3090 and insure that there are no optimization/performance issues on these new cards?

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 50% of the time / matches I play (FREQUENTLY)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Install an RTX 3090, update to latest nvidia drivers
  2. Start a RM game
  3. Play for 5-15 minutes and keep an eye on framerates. Will have massive dips occasionally that cause perceived lag.

could be the card itself.

Card is good. Great performance across many other titles.

As an update, watching the framerate, it occasionally jumps from the locked 120 way up to 300+. During that jump, it causes massive stuttering. Does these jumps regardless of the vsync setting. Feels like the game is not able to correctly limit the framerate to 120 on this hardware yet.

Devs please take a look.

1 Like

maybe card isnt supported properly not sure. we are asking microsoft to optimize a game that is 20 years old. heck even windows 10 along with some of the latest update in windows 10 is far from optimized, not sure if they’ll ever bother to fix this.

not saying they shouldnt look into this or fixing it, you might be really out of luck unless majority of people are facing this issue.

Thanks thieftdp8498, I appreciate you letting me know I may be out of luck. And yes, we are asking [Forgotten Empires] to optimize an old game that was resold as a remastered product. I can also say that as someone who works in AAA game development, the goal is not just to just fix the bugs the “majority player base” experiences. If you can reproduce and a bug and fix it in an acceptable amount of bid days, then you do just that.

So yea, I’m reporting this bug and hoping the development team has the time and resources to fix it, even if it does only effect owners of the 3000 series of nvidia GPU’s. Why? Because it should be the goal of any developer to insure that their product can run optimally on as many hardware configurations as possible. Forgotten Empires is a great team and I am sure they have the capacity to at least look into this.

3 Likes

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• BUILD #: Latest
  • PLATFORM: Steam

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Previously played on a 1080Ti without any performance issues. Framerate maintained a steady 120fps in almost all unit counts.

I have tested with both a 3080 and 3090 and experienced a new issue where the game framerate skyrockets beyond the capped 120, hitting anywhere between 350-400 fps. The game has a massive amount of stutter and non responsiveness as it tries to push the framerate back down to 120.

Latest Nvidia and Windows updates. Still present after multiple game reinstalls and file validations.

Tested with and without GSync active, and problem persists.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time / matches I play (ALWAYS)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Happens immediately after starting any game. Also tested with and without the enhanced graphics pack.

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & ATTACHMENTS

1 Like

Update- problem persists after latest patch (42848) - Also confirm that these lag spikes occur in the menu’s as well, suggesting this is a client-wide issue.

3 Likes

Update - problem persists after 43210 update.

1 Like

Another player lately stated that’s a problem with all rtx 30xx cards and I can confirm that for my rtx3060ti. Was much better with my gtx780 before.

1 Like

no issues for my rtx3070, its locked at 165fps per my monitor, lowest fps around 130 on 4vs4 lategames.

What resolution are you running?

My monitor is 1080p 165hz but i have installed the Enhanced Graphics even if i play at 1080p with vsync on.

I got the same problem… but with an AMD RX570. Last (old :slight_smile: ) update make it appears… 8086k 32GB ram…

1 Like

It’s not the hardware’s fault, the game uses an engine from 1999 and it is pretty hard to get something that old to play nice with modern hardware. And if you want higher framerate just disable mods.

I don’t think the average person buying AoE II: DE can do that.

what happens if you try force lock the fps to a certain number? it should be possible if you have a good monitor that supports it, i believe nvidia experience w/e the software is called also have that capability. try w/e it takes to see if it works.

Reproduction steps are for the developers Bird :slight_smile:

Thanks Thief, that’s not a bad idea. I did try limiting from the nvidia control panel. It capped the fps, but still stutters bad. My guess is the compatibility of the latest patch with the 3x series. My screen is a 4k 120hz and even locking to 119 or 120 doesn’t seem to fix the stutter spikes.

Ah well, starting to lose hope this will ever get a fix.

1 Like

Lately it works much better on my 3060ti, didn’t change any hardware maybe driver update worked or I’m just more lucky

1 Like