Aoe2 DE Marching Sounds

No, thank you. If implemented, I hope it’s an option that I can disable.

Of course more there is the choice to enable/disable the better. Everyone has a different taste.

1 Like

Concept demo:

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

I wasn’t sure about marching sounds at first. But hey, this is really good, at least for cavalry. Good job here.

Maybe it could be a bit lower in volume, since in the middle of a fight with lots of cavalry units moving independently it can become noisy and make it difficult to catch important sound information.

2 Likes

Hey @Juggernaut8704 I tried your mod. Very cool! I wonder why is it a data mod? (It feels inconvenient for testing) Also I can’t hear the moving sounds of infantry.

I guess sometimes it takes a demo to understand one’s vision.

Great job on the demo! Sounds nice. Sorry, when I saw this before and commented, I was thinking it’d be generic marching sounds suddenly turning on with no correlation to actual unit footsteps. Plus, I thought the volume for footsteps would be artificially amped up. (I think there’s a marching sound in AoE3 when you select a certain unit or building, which I hate… and couldn’t get that out of my mind, too. I cringe with most AoE3 sounds.)

The way you’ve done it in your example, though, it’s a lot more subtle than I was envisioning, and I’d be cool with that, I think. I don’t know how it would sound when you have 30 infantry, 30 cavalry, some siege weapons going… but if it sounds okay, then why not, I suppose?

I have a feeling that if you have 40 cavalry moving, you’d probably only want to have a max of, like, 6 or 8 footsteps going at a time. Same with infantry, etc. Otherwise, it seems like there’d be so many footsteps, it’d just become a hazy blur of white noise. With the 7 cavalry in your demo, it’s already almost approaching that white noise limit. Add 10 or 20 infantry, and it’d probably just be too much going on, imo. Seems like dynamically capping the audio at a limited number of units would be do-able in the code

1 Like

Ohh what a pleasent sound! Maybe just limit the marching sound that could sound at the same time is enough to give inmmersion but not colapse.

I would like to hear siege wooden wheels creaking and the elephants stomps

2 Likes

This is an interesting idea!

So here’s a question, would you only be able to hear your units, or also the enemies?

Assuming you can only hear units on your screen, and assuming you can hear enemy units, would you be able to hear enemy units that are on your screen but in the fog of war? I think currently you can hear enemy mangonel shots that are on screen but in the fog, or was that a bug they fixed?

2 Likes

That would be cool. With adjustable volume, of course

1 Like

I am kinda against this idea because there are already enough things in the game that drown out the music and the music in AoE II is actually really nice if you take the time to focus on it.

1 Like

Currently all cavalry command sounds are horse movement sounds and neighing sounds. It could be great if cavalry units made these sounds while moving and their command acknowledgement sounds are same as foot units.
(So that we can hear some Vietnamese when microing their battle elephants as well. What am I suggesting? :thinking:)

yes It was done on aoe3 when big army were fighting a big music would start with drums.

Here’s an updated video showing the unit sounds concept:

I think it might need a little bit tweaking to make it perfect. Devs can definitely do this better than me.

I agree cavalry acknowledgement sound will be better to be unit voices or maybe be a mix rather than just some horse neighing. Some civs are mostly cavalry composition like Magyars and you rarely get to train their infantry and don’t get to listen to the military voice set at all.

9 Likes

I really like it! I would kinda tweak the graph so that at critical mass it would become noticeable but still lower volume than it is now. But overall it adds a lot of immersion and excitement to the fight. I can see it become excellent with the proper sounds and volume

4 Likes