Aoe2: Defective Edition Should be a test of Skill. Not of Who has a better resolution

This is what makes me sad the most about the game. It did not fix the long standing issue that ppl with different resolution saw different map area.

So was there any reason this was not done? I Ask the devs.
Secondly, if there is an option to lower your resolution, with scale up to screen, surely than, can there be a scale down to screen. And by default, this can eliminate this problem completely.

So why has this been not done?

5 Likes

If seeing more of the map on screen at once is a competitive advantage, why do most of the top professional players only play at resolutions of 1080p and not 4k?

Because by scaling down the screen you lose a proportional amount of precision when controlling your units. Selecting and interacting with all of your units becomes more difficult, which you do much more often in a game than seeing where the enemy is attacking from. In fact I would say it is a competitive disadvantage to play at very small small screen scales for this reason.

You already have a view of the whole map, visible at all times, where you can see where enemies are coming from if you are not aware of your opponents movements. It is the mini map.

14 Likes

so if 4k is a disadvantage, why not make it so that, it does not matter what resolution you have, you see the same amount of map?
That way people neither with higher resolution, nor lower resolution, will have any kind of hardware limitation.

3 Likes

if this standard map size will be big, then it will be very blurry for people with small resolution. If this will be small, then it will annoy everyone with higher resolution, who wants to see more of the map. Someone will certainly be unhappy and it will be better if everyone can choose his own resolution.

Besides, equipment having an impact on competition participants results is common in all kinds of sports from athletics to motorsports. It only makes sense for it to be the same in e-sports, which is tightly tied to equipment

1 Like

you are trying to defend this map visibility problem with any thing you can. i have raised this issue at a number of places, where it has been met with, either completely ignored, or downvotes, so that it does not gain visibility. May be its you devs with the power of bots on your twitches and forums, where you make sure, things only go your way. cause its clearer to me now, that you were not able to resolve this issue in DE. cause DE is a just a glorified HD with audio visual enhancments, and some UI conveniences, almost all of which could be easily implemented within HD.

2 Likes

Even in the most competetive shooters people accept that there will be differences in how the game feels/plays and what you can see (CS:GO 4:3 against 16:9) dependant on your resolution, and now it is supposed to be a big issue in Age of fucking Empires?

May be its you devs with the power of bots on your twitches and forums, where you make sure, things only go your way.

Maybe you just have the most outrageous problems and nobody agrees with you and that’s why it get buried. And rightly so. There are enough issues with DE and many things that need to be adjusted. The last thing this forum needs are threads like this gaining traction and 30 people argueing against this throwaway trash critisism, leading someone at the studio to actually think these are issues that the game currently faces.

almost all of which could be easily implemented within HD.

Also there kinds of statements are so ridiculously out of place. They sold this game for 15 Euro if you had HD, basically like a DLC for it. Continuously seeing people disrespecting the obvious love the devs have for this game makes me somewhat angry.

You have even gone one step further and implied that they use bots to downplay critique, what the fuck. Have you even read some of the threads in here?

9 Likes

CSGO aspect ratio change is minor. there the competitive advantage dis advantage is more about monitor refresh rate.

In an rts game like this, it is the map visibility.

I assume, fair balanced competition is not something people want. If they did, they would have supported me.

People prefer playing at their preferred resolution instead of enforcing standard resolution on everyone

1 Like

the system in place right now is of the standard resolution type. it adjusts map visibility to ensure resolution remains standard.
preferred resolution would be where map visibility remains the same, while you are allowed to select whatever resolution you want.

it seems the community, the society really hate fair play and fair competition.
its a matter of writing a few lines of code, that ensure that map visibility is locked and the rendering is scaled up or scaled down depending on the resolution selected.

1 Like

Dude no one’s complaining about the resolution and it’s in no way affecting the competitive scene of the game, so if this is such a big problem for you, why not just buy youself a 4k monitor? Then there’ll be no one else complaining about this issue. Problem solved!

1 Like

Have you seen how close Viper plays his screen at when in competitive? definitely not zoomed out.

1 Like

even if i had a 4k monitor, i would still complain about this. i wanted this game to be a test of skill. not of how expensive of a computer one can afford.
@HadouGun why not enable everyone to zoom out or zoom in as much as they want than? if it dosent matter.

2 Likes

People already explained that having a big resolution is a disadvantage, the competitive scene plays mostly around 1080p for a reason, if you can’t understand that you don’t even understand what you’re complaining about.

3 Likes

do you and your supporters have anything against me? Cause i dont understand how me demanding fair play is considered wrong. Given what this game is about, bigger map visibility is equal to having hacks.

Do you ppl have a problem with me? It certainly looks like, you dont want me anywhere near you. Because even when i am talking pure logic of 1+1 = 2, you are all forcing me out by saying 1+1=3 and thereafter calling me wrong. Basically meaning there is nothing i can do to be with any of you. You dont want me near you and you all are doing everything you can to stay away from me.

1 Like

What you don’t get is that it’s already a fair play game, seeing more at the same time doesn’t give you any advantage, in fact it straight up makes your life way harder since you can’t micro properly by getting rid of your precision, and this is something very precious for the competitive scene. If you need to know what’s further away all you need to do is look at the minimap, it exists for a reason, even tho many people ignore its existance. Also this can’t at all be considered a hack because you still have to actively scout to see stuff, I can’t see a world where seeing more black on your screen gives you an advantage. This is the simple logic you’re struggling so badly to understand. What you’re actually trying to prove is that 1²+1² = 2², and this is just not how things work.

4 Likes

you are right. i think the same

how can different map visibility be a fair game? how am i the only one complaining about this?
This is literally people saying 1+1=3 to tell me i am wrong for saying 1+1=2.
This is literally people walking in the gutter together, just to ridicule me for walking on the road.

I can’t make any sense of this, except, say, you people absolutely don’t want me around you.

But at the same time, i really want fair play implemented in the game. how amazing it would be to have fun playing this game for years and years, if it becomes how it should be.

Its as if you people dont want me to defeat you and your pros or some thing.

here’s the thing. I challenge you. set me up for a 1v1 vs viper, where he is forced to play all the way zoomed in, and i playing on all the way zoomed out with entire map visible. the developers can do this if they want to test.
I will win him 10/10 times.
This is to prove how important map visibility is.

1 Like

Jesus christ… where even to begin?

CSGO aspect ratio change is minor.

What are you on about? You can literally see more of the map in 16:9…
IN A GAME WHERE THE GOAL IS TO SEE ENEMIES IN ORDER TO SHOOT THEM.
Also, yes it is not as drastic as it might sound, when first hearing it… just like the problem you have.

I assume, fair balanced competition is not something people want. If they did, they would have supported me.
it seems the community, the society really hate fair play and fair competition.

Again, you just completely try to misrepresent the others, noone hates fair play. They don’t agree with your interpretation of fair play and think it is no big deal, because it isn’t. There are numerous examples of slight percieved advantages in the PC-Gaming world and it still doesn’t harm the competition.

How about this: We ban people with longer legs from running competition, or people with long arm from boxing, because they have an advantage, and it isn’t fair play to have them compete against others, who don’t have that fortune.

This is literally people saying 1+1=3 to tell me i am wrong for saying 1+1=2.

Not only are you taking another huge dump on the grave of “literally”, but you are also completely wrong. It literally isn’t the same. We have to interpret and value things in order to get results. This is not a mathematical question.
You still didn’t adress the elephant in the room: the minimap. There is such a thing as a complete overview of the map completely absolute of any resolution. You can see the most important things on there and then scroll to the relevant posistion on the map. The reason you aren’t reacting to this argument is, that it destroys your entire basis of your own argument. It removes the differences on the screen, and makes it without any question fair.

So to put it into your language: We claim that 1+1+1=3, while you are trying to remove a part of the equation.

To add to that I don’t even agree with the principle you try to enforce on us.
Can we please stop acting as if AoE is supposed to be the perfect competetive game? Some of the games played professionally are also affected by this “problem” as previously stated and noone seriously questions their integrity.

how amazing it would be to have fun playing this game for years and years, if it becomes how it should be.

Honestly what is going on in your head, if this is what would prevent you from having fun.

its a matter of writing a few lines of code, that ensure that map visibility is locked and the rendering is scaled up or scaled down depending on the resolution selected.

While I don’t know exactly how this would work (I strongly assume you also have no clue), I do know that I’ve seen old games rendered up to new resolutions and all the models looked to small and so undetailed that it wasn’t very enjoyable to play. On the other side I’ve seen games scaled down, and they often look like shite. the models are out of proportion and it doesn’t feel good to play.

I highly doubt, it’s just “a few lines of code” if you want to make it look good. Again trying to bring the point home that the devs aren’t just some lazy guys sitting there, not caring for the competetive integrity. Even if it were, the neccesity is so debatably, that it probably ranks below any other issue that has been posted in the forum.

do you and your supporters have anything against me?
Do you ppl have a problem with me?
Its as if you people dont want me to defeat you and your pros or some thing.

Are you paranoid? This isn’t some gathering where people met and found you, just to mess with you. They do not agree with you. That is it. You are also acting like a child, throwing around assumptions and making ludicrous claims.

here’s the thing. I challenge you. set me up for a 1v1 vs viper, where he is forced to play all the way zoomed in, and i playing on all the way zoomed out with entire map visible. the developers can do this if they want to test.
I will win him 10/10 times.

First of all you can’t challange me, I am not Viper, and I don’t think anyone else in this thread is.
And even if it were to happen, since some of the statements you made, make you seem like a total noob I would probably bet against you. You will not “win him 10/10 times”. Because the issue you are trying to raise isn’t as close as relevant as you think.

Didn’t even mention how you basically claim, that some people have to play all way zoomed in, while others can see the whole map, just because of resolution. So utterly ridiculous. The difference is not as big, so even if this mentally challenged 1v1 was to happen, it wouldn’t prove any of your point. None.

Lastly you greatly overestimate the importance of this “issue” and even yourself. Why would Viper play against you, let alone 10 games. Let’s please not make it happen, It would be the greatest waste of time I would’ve ever witnessed.

Edit: Hardly disagree that this comment in any way goes against the code of conduct, I can see it for the other posts, not for this one. No Name calling, the only thing that can be percieved as a “personal attack” was something OP brought up himself. (Him winning 10/10 times against Viper.)
Also not seeing the comments about everyone else walking in the gutter removed is a little bit of a double standard.
Calling OP out on the fact that he started bringing up how everyone is biased because they only want to win due to their “overpowered” computers can also hardly constitute an offense.

Discussion and heated debated are fine.

4 Likes

You are being ridiculed for your linear and oversimplified way of thinking. And your last comment just proves it again. Maybe try making an argument concerning the minimap, instead of dying on your poorly constructed hill of “mathematical unquestionable logic”.
How you still can’t fathom that the real world is not a simple equation like you set it up is beyond me.

So annoying when people claim to have authority on what is and what isn’t logic.
Honestly the only person “hard-baited” into this is me, for trying to reason with you.

Have a nice day, losing to people with superior resolution.
lmfao

3 Likes

In theory your point makes sense

But i would agree with some other points raised here - the pros don’t bring it up as a problem. It might be beneficial on a fully explored setting, but in a normal game with fog of war etc, a higher resolution is no substitute for game sense, scouting etc… Viper does not win because he has a better resolution, he wins because he makes the better decisions.

Spirit of the Law recently released a video on trade cogs vs carts, and you might take that into account when looking to trade, but there are so many other variables in play that throw the simple math into question. The theory does not always play out in the way you expect. I think this is the case here too

2 Likes