AoE2 on Snapdragon X Elite (ARM chip)

Anyone tried running AoE2 on the new Snapdragon X Elite (ARM chip)? How’s the performance/anti cheat?

1 Like

I just tested today on a Samsung Galaxy Book 4 Edge with Snapdragon X Elite PRO. Even on lowest settings benchmark failed with <800, so not even close. This far don’t bother getting one of these machines if you want to play AOE.

Thanks, that’s a real shame

Same, it doesn’t currently work. When I started the game I got a pop-up saying that the game needs at least 1GB of VRAM to run properly.

The ranked score for my Surface Laptop snapdragon x elite 16GB RAM is around 700, less than the minimum of 800.

I checked the DirectX Installation and it reports 0MB of VRAM. I hope there’s a fix in sight.

Mobile chips don’t have the full instruction set that PC chips have, and despite sometimes similar visible stats (cores & clock speed), this forgets the equally important operations per tick count. This makes such chips deceptively weaker, especially in some situations.

I run console emulators on my phone as well as my PC, and I notice some big performance drops in some cases (typically when there are fog or similar effects) on my phone, while it doesn’t happen on PC. It notably shows not having the full list of hard-coded operations that the PC does have.

1 Like

It just baffles me that microsoft can launch a new product line and not have their own microsoft game supported. Also, this: Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition | Windows on Arm Ready Games

Just like I suspect Flight Simulator 2020 wouldn’t run on it (it’s much heavier than AOE2, not even close…). It’s made by a third party (Forgotten Empires & Asobo Studio, respectively) and not by Microsoft itself, that is only the publisher.

Hello zeeApps, i got a surface 7 too but can´t even install game from Microsoft Store because have an incompatibility message (x86 required). Did you use Steam for your test?

@EagleChiri: I used the Steam version on a Surface Laptop PC + Copilot with a Snapdragon x Elite. I got an ~870 benchmark score, so I can play 1x1 multiplayer. I haven’t tried multiplayer yet, but I tried a 2x3 Skirmish, and it was playable with lags, freezes, etc. I’m quite disappointed that Microsoft doesn’t support its own games.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the answer. Just bought game on steam (now I have both ver Steam and MS Store) and can play too on my Surface (Snapdragon X Elite / 16GB RAM). Try a couple of games and have almost the same playability that i had on my Surface Laptop 3. I’m also disappointed with MS because I had to pay two times for the game.

i’m honestly kinda impressed it boots at all, but ye arm compatability even in windows itself needs serious work

AoE2 DE runs better on my M2 macbook air with wine than with microsoft’s own ARM chip, embarrassing I say

1 Like

can’t say i’m suprised