AoE4 FPS loss during Map Moving / Scrolling ( MSI GTX 970 )

vRel = Reliability. Indicating perf is limited by reliability voltage.
VOp = Operating. Indicating perf is limited by max operating voltage.
Pwr = Power. Indicating perf is limited by total power limit.
Thrm = Thermal. Indicating perf is limited by temperature limit.
Util = Utilization. Indicating perf is limited by GPU utilization.

as I see yesterday, your core voltage was 1.087v (due to overheating, the video card was throttled) now it is already 1.2v and at the same time the video card is not heated, but this did not help. You have raised the temperature limits, which is probably unnecessary. I would also set the gpu frequency to ā€œminus 100ā€ (yes, it is minus to reduce the heating even more, it will almost not affect the frames). On downvolting, I can only advise in the ru segment the instructions for downvolting- the temperature will still drop (Š”Š½ŠøŠ¶Š°ŠµŠ¼ тŠµŠ¼ŠæŠµŃ€Š°Ń‚ŃƒŃ€Ńƒ Š½Š° Š²ŠøŠ“ŠµŠ¾ŠŗŠ°Ń€Ń‚Šµ ŠæŠ¾Š½ŠøŠ¶ŠµŠ½ŠøŠµŠ¼ Š½Š°ŠæряŠ¶ŠµŠ½Šøя). if you donā€™t understand, donā€™t do it, everything is already much better than it was yesterday.

now letā€™s deal with the problem of game settings. set all graphics settings to ā€œmediumā€ and run the game in windowed mode in 1 monitor. for now, disconnect the second cable from the video card. if the drawdowns disappear at the same time, itā€™s a matter of 2 monitors and / or the fact that the game does not know how to use 2 monitors in fullscreen. if not, try installing older and better drivers cleanly (when installing, select the clean install check box), the game also requires Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable - find it on the Internet and install it (steam installs it by default, but you never know what).

So i tried to run the game with 1 monitor. It s the same sadly.
I tried to put the game on medium over all setting AND all other settings on minimum.
Atleast i got like 50 FPS while moving, but tbh, its still felt laggy and not like 50 FPS.

The biggest thing which increaes the FPS was turning down the Texture Quality. I did put all the other settings on high, it didnt change anything FPS wise. Like 45-50 FPS while moving. Its better then before, but i guess its the game sadly.

To your voltage thing, tbh i dont feel confident enough to try those things out. Im worrierd i burn my card or what so ever <.<

For the drivers. Do you really think older drivers would help to improve the FPS? I guess i have to experiment then.

And for the Microsoft Vusual C++ Redistributable, i dont even know what version my system support there. I just dont know those kinda things :frowning:

But i guess i will check for older drivers next.

Well but maybe in the end its just the game. I mean all people have problems while moving the cam. I dont get why a huge studio even create an engine with that bugā€¦

1 Like

what makes me angry is that they should have done something about it by now, but it looks the same with the other games in the definitive edition franchise, $60 for a weak team to do nothing

1 Like

Hi, since your knowledge about pcs is very good, i would have another question.

But first i downloaded the Closed Beta from Lost Ark and i can play that on my rig on max settings with 60 FPS. TBH maybe its just AoE4 sadly, i dont know.

But for the other question. For a few month from now, my pc startet to randomly turning on again after shutting it down. I disabled the funtion in windows already, but it still happens every time. I have to turn it manually off by pĆ¼ressing the power button on my pc. Sometimes i have to turn it off even twice at the power button, so he stays off. I dont get that.

ANy idea? :slight_smile:

Do you have any idea which could cause that problem? I know its kinda random.

I think youā€™ve tried everything possible. the textures of the water are quite demanding - I also have noticeable drawdowns of frames, but within 5% and this is unnoticeable at the general level. it looks like the graphics card canā€™t handle the load and you still have to use medium settings or even low ones. I have seen messages that they do not always get the maximum at 3080

I9 9900K and RTX 2080S ā€¦ same here. Move for the map= drop FPS.

Shameā€¦

I saw somewhere that the developers noticed this problem and already seem to know how to solve it. the performance loss is noticeable only on high settings mainly and on medium ones to a lesser extent. And they also noticed that optimization for AMD cards is worse. I expect fixes in the near future. Iā€™m still playing on medium on the rx 550 4gb with 50-40 frames per second.Although in motion I notice drawdowns of frames up to 30

reset nvidia 3d settings
and dont change anything

fix fps and vsync until 120 and monitor too
so u can play the game then!

1 Like

I have this exact same issue with an AMD Ryzen 9 5900 HX, 32 GB RAM, and an Nvidia 3080 RTX 16 GB (Laptop). Running the latest Nvidia drivers. Regardless of settings, when scrolling the in-game map (i.e moving the camera around), the gameā€™s FPS gets cut by half. It sounds like just an optimization issue to me. My system should be enough to run it at 4K high settings I believe, since if I donā€™t move the camera, the FPS is 70, and it drops to 32 when moving the camera (but I didnā€™t notice any kind of major gain from dropping resolution; while it increases fps, it still gets cut in half when moving the camera).

When I open Nvidia performance metrics I see that 99% FPS drops by half whenever I move the camera. As long as I stay perfectly still, the fps and 99% fps values stay normal at above 60 FPS. I also noticed that the Nvidia overlay didnā€™t even recognize the game at first, I had to manually add the game .exe via nvidia control panel to even be able to read the fps values. Another thing I noticed is that the gameā€™s render latency is really bad, like 20ms to 60ms when moving the camera.

playing in windowed mode and every here and then , when switchting to 2nd screen and do something in the browser, i have 10 FPS ingame. not always but sometimes, only a game restart helps

i9900K - 1080 TI

Thank you all! We are aware of this and investigating.

1 Like