AOE4 peak is already higher than AOE2

My guess is that people from Gamepass are at absolute most 25% from entire game’s players.

It’s honestly kinda funny to see people keep arguing for the sake of arguing about the player numbers being too low.

6 Likes

Well as a TW player the sound design is really immersive, it basically sold the game for me.

1 Like

Its honestly so pointless.
They don’t have shares in microsoft and aren’t the devs. Why do they care about how big the sales are?

What matters is if you like the game and if there are enough people to play multiplayer with.

7 Likes

They’re just “concerned”

1 Like

what does he mean “especially considering”? specifically because.

what u mean? u dont consider starcraft 2, RTS?

1 Like

It’s deeper than that, many RTS enthusiasts are hoping for a comeback of the genre. So the hope is that AoE4 proves there’s huge interest in the classic RTS, so others will start to invest again in the genre after seeing many players in AoE4 and huge sales.

2 Likes

That means users who are already subscribed to gamepass can try it for “Free” so they don’t have to get it on steam , but despite that it’s still having a huge wave of users on steam

1 Like

Idk im just legitimately of the opinion there aren’t that many RTS fans.
Sure we may have been some of the first gamers, but the gaming industry has outgrown us.

There were some people who legit thought an RTS game could compete with Call of duty.

If you can find the numbers feel free to post them.
But there are also things that make Starcraft obviously more popular, such as it literally being free.

1 Like

I dont think Starcraft 2 has that number anymore, it’s much much lower now. Probably about the same as AoE2 DE.

Number of people watching on twitch:
AOE4: 88.900
SC2: 4.400

3 Likes

I’m sure there are that many people experiencing AoE IV. They’re just watching the game on streams instead of playing it 11.

@BossPaprika1647

https://www.rankedftw.com/stats/population/1v1/

also Yikes! Playerbase takes a -41% hit! - General Discussion - SC2 Forums

but yes, RTS will never be mainstream. too complicated and too stress-inducing. I mean heck, many hardcore aoe2 offline players stick to vs AI bc of shitteria in 1v1.

@BoiteRex64 thx, I misread. I missed the ‘steam’ part.
Not trying to avoid the L, but I’m not sure game pass is really an argument when it comes to PC gamers. Most of us ignore game pass despite it being very good value. good value for testing games at the very least with up to -20% when you acquire games.
+ aoe players mostly stick to aoe, so them buying blindly is nothing surprising (same goes for any hardcore community really: Wow and wow classics).
I also bought the whole microsoft RTS suite way back when, and never even touched it. mostly for personal time reasons and not for lack of interest.

I don’t think twitch metric is very telling. people are probably busy playing instead of watching someone else play. @MockHamill
and maybe some people are window shopping aoe4

2 Likes

I still don’t understand how RTS can’t be popular while MOBA is the most popular gaming genre, aren’t they similar in many mechanics ?

lol so true friend, same winter from SC2?

I think Total War Three Kingdoms had 300k at launch. Lots of them from China of course.

1 Like

Moba requires much less skill than any RTS so it less demanding. Plus it is a team game so you can always blame your losses on your team mates.

But it still baffles me how anyone can play MOBAS. I despise the genre and would rather go 3 rounds at the dentist than play a MOBA.

3 Likes

from my POV it doesn’t require multitasking. u have one hero, and that’s it.
on the other hand, game knowledge probably is even greater in MOBAs since you have so many heroes. (I’m not too familiar with that genre so can’t talk about the minutiae.) @BoiteRex64

also it’s not as flashy. takes a lot more to create good pathing for RTS hence why graphics will suffer.

except total war is not RTS but RTT @fliger5

1 Like

No. MOBA’s have their roots in replacing RTS macro with a bigger focus on micro and much smaller unit counts than RTS. For MOBA’s started as a Warcraft III mod called “Defense of the Ancients” which removes base building and expands on hero abilities to create a completely different style of Real Time game. MOBA’s are much closer to Real Time Tactics than Real Time Strategy.

1 Like