AOEDE AI has no life

The AI is still a strange being in AOE. In the game from 97 you cannot play with her on settings “Small Islands”, Nomade, low ressources at the beginning. In AOEDE you cannot, too. At least she is giving up to prevent a long play sessions.
Maybe you can improve the AI that she begins to collect food?

edit: Now I played on Big Islands. The AI gived up after 3 minutes.

I usually stay away from maps with water in RTS games like this. Artificial intelligence in strategy games has always been an imperfect being. By choosing water maps you’re forcing an already imperfect AI to split its attention between land and water.

I can confirm that the AI is definitely working and very active in the campaigns - at least in the Greek one that I tried. I’m playing on moderate difficulty and I just barely managed to complete mission 1 by the skin of my teeth, and on mission 2 the enemy AI has 10 scouts inside my base, killing all of my villagers, within 1-2 minutes of the game starting, and sends groups of 5-10 troops into my base every couple of minutes therafter.

AI is very good in the campaigns.

AI needs improvements!

Also improve the animations for Armored Elephants when they are attacking. It is very strange to see that they attack in empty space when you give them the selected target for engagement. Maybe that is some sort of bug, but on the normal War Elephant, everything works fine.

Also improve the animations for Armored Elephants when they are attacking. It is very strange to see that they attack in empty space when you give them the selected target for engagement. Maybe that is some sort of bug, but on the normal War Elephant, everything works fine.

I have not encountered any AI issues. That said make sure to send feedback like this to the devs.

Yeah, I’m really disappointed with the game so far; they haven’t fixed anything at all in the closed beta.

The water seems not to be a problem. I have some trouble with AI on Big Islands and Medium, when she begins from stone age.
When the settings on Nomade and only 200 units wood, than the AI is doing nothing.

AI does great in the campaign but not in skirmish matches

AI is fine in skirmish mode. Try the following settings:

Giant map
8 players
Normal resources
Hill country or Highlands (no water)
Moderate difficulty or higher.

You’ll see the AI do very well.

If you play a water map you’re forcing the AI to divide its intelligence between land and water, and it often gets confused (in any strategy game, not just this one).

Look at the Total War franchise from Rome 2 onwards. The only way the developers could make the AI (on the campaign map) competent on land AND water was to make the AI ignore water completely. For the AI in Total War games water does not exist, their units simply turn into boats when they march into the water.

Rise of Nations did this as well a long time ago when that game first released. Once you research the necessary technology, your units cross bodies of water by simply turning into boats.

It’s the only way to make an AI competent on water AND land in strategy games.

@Dukemon said:
The AI is still a strange being in AOE. In the game from 97 you cannot play with her on settings “Small Islands”, Nomade, low ressources at the beginning. In AOEDE you cannot, too. At least she is giving up to prevent a long play sessions.
Maybe you can improve the AI that she begins to collect food?

edit: Now I played on Big Islands. The AI gived up after 3 minutes.

It is strange to read that, because back when I was playing the original one, the AI was never giving up. And at the very beginning of AOE 2 I was upset because the AI was giving up all the time with things like “a boar was to close to my town center…”.
So in this DE the AI is prone to giving up in games?

I’m having an issue with the attack move,is it Q actually?Cause i feel my units arent doing much its just a mess when i press Q and i say to attack in this area i mean its such a disaster than it even takes the micro down to a step i coudnt think about…I mean they attack yeah but overall units are just so dumb they dont focus on more close targets nor on stronger ennemies ,i mean sure they attack but its just so butchy.Handling small group of units EG. archers is easy but if you take a a group and attack move its just so dumb,unless im doing wrong.Someone having an issue with that…Oh and i played AOE for years…

I mean i don’t see the point having so much differents units with differents weaknesses if everything you do is a mess and and your units will go random everywhere,even go behind the group of ennemies units in front of em to go to another random archer behind the ennemies in front of em or even furter to the next group behind that archer…Randomly scrambling around…

Ha quedado claro que, entre errores, no poner avances ni mejoras con respecto a otras versiones anteriores, lo único que quieren desde Microsoft es sacar tajada económica, al igual que hacen con todo (fijense que no tiene ni un producto gratuito). Lo hacen todo para robar.

@Lirycmex said:
It is strange to read that, because back when I was playing the original one, the AI was never giving up. And at the very beginning of AOE 2 I was upset because the AI was giving up all the time with things like “a boar was to close to my town center…”.
So in this DE the AI is prone to giving up in games?

It’s not that the AI literally gives up, it’s just that it just stays there and does absolutely nothing once its resources have ran out, 'cause it literally doesn’t know how to use boats outside of campaigns and even then, it’s scripted.

I played a nomad game today with low resources and 7 AI opponents. After about 3 minutes every single AI gave up all at the exact same time and I was victorious. I got 4 achievements for doing nothing lol.

Also guys, seriously, if you want the AI to be challenging in custom games, play a map that has zero water. If you do this, even on easy difficulty the AI is hard to beat.

The Real problem with the AI will you see in the Campaign… I had mission where i should take units with priests at the start these units just walk in my base GG in 2 minutes…

In other missions Enemys just gave up after 5 minutes in the missions and i didnt had 4 Enemeys anymore only 2 xD

and and and and SO MANY problems with the AI.

It’s pretty laughable to be honest.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=XfVgazIm63Y

A.I. has dissapointing issues.

I encountered some wierd things aswell. In some matches it really does well with bronze cav rush and so on, but sometimes it just behaves so strange leading up to its own demise. one time, i tried to secure marsh-walking corridor with some of my own axemen and towers, and this gave me victory in a very unexpected way. apperantly A.I. wanted resources of my own land, and therefore rallied all its villagers despite i have deadly a deadly army and a couple towers on the way. in just a few minutes, it turned into a graveyard of A.I. villagers, until the time it deplated all of its food and leaving me an easy victory. note that both cav rush and marsh-graveyard games are hardest difficulty.

only good improvement i see is, A.I. knows what is a Definitive Edition farm is. I’m puzzled here: do devs even tried improving A.I.? this looks so… unfinished.

@“Cleglaw the mad” said:
https://youtube.com/watch?v=XfVgazIm63Y

A.I. has dissapointing issues.

I encountered some wierd things aswell. In some matches it really does well with bronze cav rush and so on, but sometimes it just behaves so strange leading up to its own demise. one time, i tried to secure marsh-walking corridor with some of my own axemen and towers, and this gave me victory in a very unexpected way. apperantly A.I. wanted resources of my own land, and therefore rallied all its villagers despite i have deadly a deadly army and a couple towers on the way. in just a few minutes, it turned into a graveyard of A.I. villagers, until the time it deplated all of its food and leaving me an easy victory. note that both cav rush and marsh-graveyard games are hardest difficulty.

only good improvement i see is, A.I. knows what is a Definitive Edition farm is. I’m puzzled here: do devs even tried improving A.I.? this looks so… unfinished.

I have watched dozens of AI vs. AI battles in the original AoE and what is shown on that video matches that almost exactly, so there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with the AI (at least on maps without rivers).