AoEO Memory Thread

I think one of the biggest draws to AoEO was that customizable/RPG factor in getting gear and new looks for your troops…adding a little personal flair to a game that had the feel of AOE that we love, blended with simple control and strategy that differed by race. I would love to see some elements of that brought back in AOE IV, and I think it would be plausible considering the direction the franchise has taken us…
First we had emissary/diplomat shipments in AoE III:Asian Dynasties, then home city shipments in III with a “tech tree” based deck, and then the armor and gear with levelling civs in Online. I think the progression of the franchise to include that element is undeniable, and might even improve on AoEO.
:slight_smile:

@jennywaboom said:

@Noidea said:
Well bit disappointed to see Age of Empires Online now being related to Castle Siege… It’s like relating gold to coal.

Not really being related to Castle Siege, we are keeping the past posts from all of the game’s forums over there since there was no way to move it all, so it’s still with all the other AoE games as well:) You could always start a new AoEO Memories thread here, I’m sure a lot of people would hop in it!

Also, congrats on inadvertantly doing that here yourself :smiley:

Project Celeste?

1 Like

In the AOE IV forum I suggested that AOE IV DE should become more like a kind of AOE Online DE style of gameplay. Well, that kind of thinking got me 3 new disagrees rapidly. Probably from players who found AOEO too hard to play, because it had some very hard missions from level 30 and above.

Yes, very good memories indeed. Sometimes I still dream about training the farming missions, building all those farms as fast as you can and so clicking like crazy. My wife even caught me clicking on her body while asleep.

Or should I call it a nightmare instead? :wink:

I really do miss this game and spend quite enough money into it to be entitled for a free run if they ever bring it back.

Please bring it back again, like AOE DE now it did run on XBOX Live Network with the help of GFWL. So it should not be too hard for Microsoft to port this version to Windows Store.

PCS70, you can play AOEO now if you want. As Augustusman said, have a look into Project Celeste.

@Servimomia said:
PCS70, you can play AOEO now if you want. As Augustusman said, have a look into Project Celeste.

I did check out the Penelope version and I do like their initiative for sure. The problem is you don’t get back your previous gaming profile and it takes a lot of time building up all civilisations again to the level they were before, while risking the whole project being stopped by MS lawyers at some point in time. I don’t want to experience that loss again for sure.

I just think a remake of AOE Online as DE version would fit very well in future Windows Store offerings. Paying for new civilisation should give access to new (co-op) missions and maps.

Because purchases and history are still listed in the XBOX Live Account pages, I still have some hope they will bring it back in Windows Store as DE version in the near future.

Honestly, I would pay for it again.

@PCS70 said:

@Servimomia said:

I did check out the Penelope version and I do like their initiative for sure. The problem is you don’t get back your previous gaming profile and it takes a lot of time building up all civilisations again to the level they were before, while risking the whole project being stopped by MS lawyers at some point in time. I don’t want to experience that loss again for sure.

just saying celeste is different project than penelope. And what comes to project celeste it’s not illegal to host server where people can connect with game as long they don’t gain money from project

@tempires said:

@PCS70 said:

@Servimomia said:

just saying celeste is different project than penelope. And what comes to project celeste it’s not illegal to host server where people can connect with game as long they don’t gain money from project

So you don’t want the real thing back?

And is receiving or paying donations for online server maintenance not gaining money?

The best chance for projects like celeste is what happened with the Relic guys and UPatch, being embraced by Microsoft and taken back under control again.

@PCS70 said:

So you don’t want the real thing back?

And is receiving or paying donations for online server maintenance not gaining money?

The best chance for projects like celeste is what happened with the Relic guys and UPatch, being embraced by Microsoft and taken back under control again.

Yes it would be best thing if microsoft would host server themselves again as it would open possibility for new content that project celeste cannot provide. At this moment celeste is working almost like it did officially and new quest are being added to game, so good enough already.

players donating money for server maintenance isn’t wrong (happening in every game with servers). If they would pay for being able to use game(which in this case belongs to microsoft) that would be wrong

I really miss this game, i hope aoe4 will bring some elements from aoe online

why you just miss it?.. you can play it again if you want!

last time i’ve tryed it wasn’t good a lot of things were missing, i will try the last version =)

@ezangrando said:
last time i’ve tryed it wasn’t good a lot of things were missing, i will try the last version =)

I have to admit now I play this very fine game again. It’s great having AOE Online back again. Project Celeste is the real resurrection of one the best AOE’s ever.

Hello to all. I do not quite agree with some of your statements. And I’m sure many have my own conviction. The AoEO game was certainly not the best in the AoE series. In fact, I would say it was the worst, and as some of you in this post say the opposite, it’s common thought that the game was a flop! and not because of its graphic! AoEO was actually a good game … but it did not have to be called AoE !! the weight of that title betrayed him! An AoE game has never been directed in the direction of AoEO !!! the fact that materials were made in the capital, the fact that units are equipped with equipment … never been elements of AoE. These ideas were nice, but not for an AoE game !!! I hope so much, that AoE 4 has nothing of AoEO.

@CostlierParrot3 said:

Hello to all. I do not quite agree with some of your statements. And I’m sure many have my own conviction. The AoEO game was certainly not the best in the AoE series. In fact, I would say it was the worst, and as some of you in this post say the opposite, it’s common thought that the game was a flop! and not because of its graphic! AoEO was actually a good game … but it did not have to be called AoE !! the weight of that title betrayed him! An AoE game has never been directed in the direction of AoEO !!! the fact that materials were made in the capital, the fact that units are equipped with equipment … never been elements of AoE. These ideas were nice, but not for an AoE game !!! I hope so much, that AoE 4 has nothing of AoEO.

You could actually say the same comparing any AOE version with another one. I think that any AOE fan has his personal flavour. Some like coffee, some like tea and some like both. And some like it hot and some like it cold. Either way both are essentially build up from the same elements. The reason why I name it one of the best is for very good reasons and because the best still has to be created. In order to make the best AOE RTS ever created it needs more discussion. Also looking at other populair multiplayer games these days, it’s not too hard to determine which paths should be explored. Thou should not fear to fail again.

How should they have could AOE Online instead?

@PCS70 said:

@CostlierParrot3 said:

You could actually say the same comparing any AOE version with another one. I think that any AOE fan has his personal flavour. Some like coffee, some like tea and some like both. And some like it hot and some like it cold. Either way both are essentially build up from the same elements. The reason why I name it one of the best is for very good reasons and because the best still has to be created. In order to make the best AOE RTS ever created it needs more discussion. Also looking at other populair multiplayer games these days, it’s not too hard to determine which paths should be explored. Thou should not fear to fail again.

How should they have could AOE Online instead?

Hello. when you add liquor to the coffee, the coffee is called correct. In this case, it is true, the base is coffee but the addition completely changes flavor. Now, I will not be sure to say how they should do AoEO (I’m not paid by anyone to squeeze my brain for finding the right innovations), but I can express my judgment as a gambler. And, as everyone noted, the servers closed shortly after the active community on the game was limited.

I hope Microsoft comes to their senses and re-lauches this great game. It makes absolutely zero sense to be remaking AOE 1, 2 & 3, while leaving AOEO abandoned along with all its players, especially considering AOE2 already has an HD remake and AOE3 is perfectly fine as it is.

AOEO was the best AOE to date, and Microsoft did not even mention it during the AOE Anniversary Celebrations, really dissapointing to see a game I spend hundreds of hours playing and enjoying end like this.

:’(

@Will10154 said:
AOE3 is perfectly fine as it is.

Honestly, it’s not. The game was designed for Windows XP and after a decade of zero development support, the technical issues on new operating systems and hardware have quite stacked up.

I paid $100 on day one for the exclusive content, few months later, it all went free … and most of all, I cannot play it again :frowning:

If you guys want some nice AOEO content to relive these memories, check out the official Project Celeste channels on Twitch and YouTube for some nice Age of Empires Online content:

2 Likes