Are Camels balanced?

And? Camels aren’t intended to be anything more then an anti cavalry cavalry. If they were they’d have higher base attack and lower bonus damage.

Just because you want them to be more versatile means nothing.

If you want further proof that camels are only intended to counter cavalry, anti camel bonuses have been buffed several times.

1 Like

I don’t think anybody doubts their anti cav prowess, they’re supposed to catchup and beat the knight line pop efficiently, I think they cost too much for what they offer. They should cost less gold or the pike damage should be adjusted for the non-imp camels

1 Like

Pikes are a very defensive unit, while Camels can actually chase their targets.
I think Camels pay the appropriate price for their mobility, in their other stats.

The problem with buffing camels is indians, even a small buff to the unit can end up making indians too strong. Unless you want to buff only the castle age camels, then it could maybe work.

Well not really, they aren’t made to be the bulk of your army unless you’ve got a big bonus for them.

Just like pikes are 100% useless vs meso

1 Like

Am I missing something, but AFAIK indian camel riders only get pathetic +1 PA and +6 attack against buildings? Yes, they have imperial camel riders, but only in imperial age.
How on earth is that unit supposed to replace versatile all-around power unit knights?

1 Like

They are not.
Because Indians have one of the strongest economic bonii of the game (villager discount, which ends up saving thousands of Food down the line), they cannort have very population-efficient units like Knights and Battle Elephants, otherwise they would be able to spam them and would be the strongest civ by far.
To compensate, their Camels were buffed to be a bit more like Knights, but not quite, so they would still have decent raiding Cavalry, and an answer to Paladins, without having Heavy Cavalry of their own.

It is also important to note that Indians have recieved a good number of nerfs over the years, because they were still OP. Their original Camels were actually better than Knights.

Viper, in his UU Tierlist video, actually said that Imp Camels are as good as Paladins, and rated them very high.

1 Like

Essentially we are coming to conclusion that Camels can’t be used in any TGs unless Indian :-/
So we have a mainline Gold unit (not UU) which is not useful.

Imp Camels >> against any Cav unit in the game.
But it’s one specific civ only. Its exclusive to Indians.

Imagine if Paladins were exclusive to Franks, then this discussion would have been different.

Assumption: Any civ who has Camels, if they researched X technology, they can get +1 armor or +2 bonus against Spear line/EW makes more sense. Then we will see lot of camels than just Indians

If they are a mainline unit how come only 1/3 of the civs get them?

If camels were intended to be good vs units besides cavalry they would have a higher base attack and lower bonus damage

Then the Camels bonus attack vs Cavalry should be applied for EW.
As mentioned they are unusable for Meso civs.

Logically it doesnt make sense too. Camels eats Cavalry, Cavalry eats EW. :smiley:

Why? They aren’t intended to br an infantry counter.

Cav archers, hand cannons, trash. All good vs meso.
Use some halbs to tank

pikes eat cavalry, cavalry eat archers. Should pike beat archers?

Yes I want to buff ONLY and ONLY Caste Age Camel Riders with only +1 attack to them for the reasons I explained before

As I noted before too, Heavy and Imperial Camels are well balanced due to the doubling of the Anticav bonus to +18

Except we’ve already proven that camel riders take favorable trades. So what’s the point of the buff?

If the buff is to make them better vs cavalry, they already trade efficiently and dont need to be better
If thd buff is to make them better vs non cavalry, why bother bringing up the cavalry bonus of heavy and imp camel.

Again I fail to see your logic here. How do you always get from the first sentence the second statement?

I’m asking why you want camels buffed. You make conflicting statements.

If the point of your buff is to make them better vs non cavalry, why does the Heavy and imperial camel bonus damage vs cavalry even matter?

Its erroneous data

How is it conflicting? The fact is that Heavy and Imperial camels are very much viable in their respective ages due to the big bonus, but the castle age camels don’t even have that in their resume.

At the same time castle age camels do less dps than trash units.

1 Like

Except weve already proven that camel riders do just fine against knights. Both equal numbers and equal with time spent making them. Either way camels come out ahead. They don’t need buffs vs cavalry.

As for vs trash literally only 2 trash units do more dps then camels. Light cavalry and hussar. And neither of those are actually good for much beyond raiding and taking on archers.

Camels literally aren’t designed to fight non cav units.

If thry were they would have a higher base attack (like say 9) and lowrr bonus damage (say 6).

As I said

Basically Indian, but also Malian and Saracen can use them, as I’ve seen several times in team games. Berbers don’t do it so much but it’s because camel archers are a better power unit.

Really, I don’t get this logic. It’s normal that camels are useless against civ that don’t get cav. Also they aren’t much more useful against civ that barely use their cav like Ethiopian. Of course giving them a bonus against archers/siege just for that matchup wouldn’t make sense as well.