Are Camels balanced?

Source: Cavalry Archer in AOE Wiki

aight this is getting ridiculous. Obviously in smaller numbers when cav archers, camels beat them but en mass, they fair poorly with their low pierce. Both of them also cost same gold and camels need more food

1 Like

Camels must reciece +1 attack don’t you agree?
it’s not like I’m talking +1 armour , just +1 attack. That in no way makes them ‘Knight Substitutes’ as is being claimed by some,

with hardly any reasoning to back the claim that 7 attack camel riders will become Knights

Camels are proactive anti-Knight and anti-Cav Archer units. The only civ that uses them like Knights, in Indians, and they get a lot of Buffs for it.

you know, for all i care he can have the 1 attack buff. i mean camels don’t need it, they are already cost effective as is, but its just 1 attack. the impact will be minor

It will matter against Huns and Mongols, who lack the last Archer Armour upgrade for their Cav Archers.

1. only if they remain on just regular camels, if they upgrade to heavy camel, nothing is changed.
  2. if i have my critical mass of cav archers, i’m not concerned about camels.
2 Likes

i still feel its unnecessary to buff camels, they are cost effective and do the job they are supposed to do, but 1 damage won’t change much if anything. especially since its only generic camels that get it. heavy gets nothing.

Exactly, which is why there should be no outrage over this, and it should happen now, as castle-age camels are too too weak in general, for civs other than Indians.

Like Thumb ring, add some special technology for Camels, which gives them +1 Armor or bonus attack against mele. The cost can be adjusted so that it ll not broken by design. Camels are only good against Cavlary and die against anything else, which is not so good. Probably this will help them stand against archers/spear line a little extra

2 Likes

but here is the thing that you need to understand Parthnan, they aren’t weak. they do exactly what they are supposed to do. they are a counter to cavalry. that is their role. and they fullfill their role. you have had a plethora of people tell you that, and you ignore them.

should we make a new tech for pikes that makes them good against archers? they are good against cavalry, and nothing else.

I think we are not talking about every unit in game. We are talking about Main units in any game (Archers/Cavalry/EW). They are the mainline units. Indians is the only civ that has +1 Armor, and any other camel civ dies to Archers even in equal numbers because of DE pathing. Even if we fix the pathing, the way Camels take more space than Cavalry means, archers will shred them anyday anywhere.

To be honest, they can’t offer anything against Meso civs. Eagles shred them, Archers shred them, pikes shred them.

1 Like

that wasn’t the problem parthnan has with them though. and they aren’t intended to be a tanky unit either. they are designed as fast cavalry counters.

so use knights or skirms against archers, they are better at it anyway. camels aren’t intended to fight archers.

Pikes are trash units. Camels cost more gold than Keshiks and as much as Tarkans tha are 170HP an 8 PA. They are GOLD UNITS

doesn’t matter. camels have a role. that role is being anti cavalry, and they do that role just fine.
there is zero reason to change them and try to add other roles.
and Tarkans? Camels literally get used more then Tarkans do.

btw parthnan, i retract my earlier statement. i don’t believe camels need to be buffed.

i just ran 2 tests.
1 with equal numbers (10 knights vs 10 camels)
1 with 5 minutes worth of production (10 knights vs 13 camels)
in both tests the camels wrecked the knights. 5 camels survived the equal odds, 9 survived the equal time spent producing.
this means in the equal numbers attack the knight player lost 600 food and 750 gold, and the camels lost 275 food and 300 gold. less then half of both.
the equal time spent building the knights again lost 600 food and 750 gold, and the camels lost 220 food and 240 gold. an almost 3 to 1 exchange rate in food and better then a 3-1 exchange rate in gold.
they dont need a buff.

1 Like

I told you Camels are super strong against Cavalry.

Didn’t realize they were that strong

1 Like

Use them against Cav Archers, and see what happens then.
It is why Byzantines discounted Heavy Camels, do not have Bloodlines and Blast Forging.
If they did, Byz would directly countr all Cav Archer civ, no contest.

They’re supposed to be strong vs cavalry. Even just 20 pikes wreck 10 Knights handily.
But that’s not the point.
The point is the abysmally low general attack of the Castle Age Camel, at just 6 which is less than trash units