Are the English OP?

I don’t think so, longbows are weak vs castle age MAA and knights.

1 Like

His suggested mechanic buffs cavalry charges, it doesn’t nerf longbows specifically, it indirectly nerfs infantry in general against cavalry, and probably nerfs ranged units more than melee units. Though I’m assuming cav wouldn’t be able to charge spears at all, so, they would be an exception, and that might make spears actually worth while. They seemed quite weak to me in the open beta. The generic cav charges were quite underwhelming, though fire lancers were fun.

Knights though are significantly stronger than infantry. If they were to have a nice effective charge, their regular melee should be nerfed. Then the way you would use them effectively is charge in, charge out, charge in. etc.

They probably will not implement such a fundamental change to how the Triangle plays out, though.

1 Like

I don’t hate the idea.

English have MAA and Knights of their own. longbows are good against MAA and Knight counters. You don’t only build longbows when nobody has armour.

Hall isn’t a very good landmark going into age 3, as people are adding heavy armour, and you won’t need to train too many more longbows at this point. You’ll be adding crossbows which require ranges.
Hall would need to be tweaked if it is competing against Keep, for example.

That “surrounding ranges have quicker training time” idea for the Hall is a good landmark for age 3, I think, and we can just tweak the time modifier to balance it.

Unfortunately the developers wanted to create a faction that eases players into the complex mechanics of age of empires by shutting off a number of those mechanics and teaching people bad habits. The English are like the Dwarves in Warhammer Total War as a result.

They’re strong but it will be compensated by the fact English players will invariably be lower skill than their counterparts.

1 Like

AOE4 only 2 races
English and non English

3 days of gameplay is not really enough to make big judgements about balance.

Light cav vs archers is one of the biggest counters of the game, so by just scouting the hall landmark you should have a really strong tool to counter cheesy longbow rushes.

1 Like

Thing is currently the Council Hall landmark is the only viable feudal landmark for the english.
The other one is just so bad rn that no one has bothered to use it.

Adequate scouting definitely helps save you from cheese rushes tho.

1 Like

I think the English are “OP” in the same way Britons, Huns and Franks are “OP” to newer AOE2 players. They seem to have a streamlined simple strategy which makes them easier to play and therefore more powerful at lower levels.
Right now, all of us are new players who haven’t had enough time to fully develop the meta of the game at a competitive level.

2 Likes

I disagree with your logic for leaving out the poll option. Your topic title asks the question, “Are the English OP?” If some people think they’re actually underpowered, that’s valuable input to the poll.

1 Like

English are not overpowered.

I feal more that the developper took time to work on them, but did not work on the other nations.

A few core game mecanism are missing or replaced by phone game easy mecanism.

We can feal it when we look at:
-Homing arrows.
-Square arche of siege weapons bullet.
-No friendly fire.
-Invunerability of tree.
-Ranged weapons that do no damage.
-Rapid fire of ranged weapons.
-Cavalery charge that stop on archer/Swordmen and take time to sword figt on horse.
-Archer tower upgrade that only trow one arrow.
-Baliste tower that can’t kill one horse men, one shoot.
-Nest bee that only scrach enemy units and over damage siege weapons.
-Very wide wall.
-All square buildings.
-Uniform weather that do not affect gameplay.
-All plane maps.
-All resourcess and land, made of dots/circle/square.
-Units that need to stop and take time to attack siege weapons whit toch.
(The fealing that it take to much time and it do almot no dps, players feal that attackingwhit sword will be faster.)
(Maybe let units attack siege weapons whit normal attack, but when reshearched, units use flaming torch, that set siege weapons or buildings on fire, burning more over time if not repaired.)
-Building that is only set on fire when hp is low and taking the same slow burning time to be destroyed.

I dont know who where your opponents, but LB rush is not strong.

I have plenty of videos where I destroy cheese LB rush with HRE. (Easely)

People’s tend to underestimate other civs, cuz they are much harder to master.

1 Like

Haha I play mongol I must surrender now!

Villager tier 1 Long attack with 5damage can kill everything
Long bow easy to build & spear man in Tier 2 is God
Tier3 Can make some Carv,Cap Castle is easy

About mongol vs English just defensive and die by ram & Long bow

There is 3 reasons why I think the english is Broken.

Not OP, but Broken. Meaning they have some things that can absolutely cheese the game complete and secure them victory.

Villagers range damage, is far to much in the early game. It also leans them into heavily favoring an almost unstoppable tower-rush. (unstoppable, as in, you cant really prevent them from getting their towers up without sacrificing a significant amount of resources and effort, especially in small and enlosed maps)

Network of castle buff. Increasing attack speed even for siege with 25%.
This causes Mangonels and Trebs fire at ridiculous rates, not to mention incredible strong handcannoneers and all other siege for that matter.

Their Trebuchets.
They can easily build up a sizable trebuchet force for the price of nothing.
That Trebuchet force in the hands of a good player combined with english unique shattered projectiles.
Someone who is used playing Artillery games or games with artillery say, Steel Divison can become extremely deadly with English trebs and some probing with scouts.
Makes them so they don’t need Springalds to counter siege, they don’t need mangonels to deal with blobs.
Their Trebs is a Do all in 1 package.
With good ground fire capabilities and predictions, and ignoring LOS, you can easily keep their trebs safe and still cause significant damage to the opponent. Only viable counter being Knights, which English can easily prevent with a few spears and their very strong handcannoneers.

OR even better, Walls, makes them untouchable.

The only thing that can counter this is Mongols with Imp-Geometry, because they somehow unintentionally gave them splash damage for their Traction Trebs.