Are the samurai and the Japanese champion too similar? Ideas to help differentiate them:

Yeah, true, I didn’t thought about WR.

1 Like

Not that that totally rules out a speed buff. Maybe give it .1 speed buff (still a bit slower then WR). And reduce the gold cost slightly, and the gold cost of Elite. That’s what I’d push for over full redesign.

But if we go full redesign… ■■■■ the mounted samurai looks cool :joy:

1 Like

Same point here that was discussed against Leitis, and to some extent against British Longbows, Chinese ChuKuNus. If the civ’s UU fills the same role as a generic unit for the civ, then power creep will happen. Noone will use the UU unless it is over-buffed, and then everyone will complain that it is OP.

The design needs correction for both of these UUs, you can’t compete with the generic unit if it is good enough. Japs got Yasama, and Lithuanians got bombard towers, Brits and Chinese got super-strong Keeps, why would I spend the stone on castles and take the risk of losing my investment when I lose my castles?

UUs are useful and don’t power creep only if they are the only option for that type of unit, or if the civ has no other use for stone (Mongols for example).

Letis are different from paladins, and LB and CKN are a better versions than arbs but with the downside of being trained at a castle. Samurais aren’t on the same level of those UU.

I disagree, I would go for castles and letis in castle age all the times instead of waiting for BT.

I think that we can find a way to incourage the use of samurai.

Nobody serious goes towers over castles what. Castle is far superior and gives you access to trebs

1 Like

So, until now the ideas for possibile changes are:

• less gold cost
  • more speed
  • more attack speed

I’m wrong? Did I forgot something?

1 Like

50f 30g could work too

I like the idea of a small reduction of its cost, either in gold or food, but I would add some minor buffs to its speed (bring it to the level of berserkers) and/or its attack speed.

It is difficult, I think you should actually try to change the mechanics a bit, giving them a new ability or role.

Woad raiders have actually a different role from champions because of the speed.

Maybe a unit which does not require upgrades? For instance samurais are not affected by the blacksmith, but their armor stats are buffed by +2/2 in castle age and +3/4 in imp… great early imp unit, you can even give them free elite upgrade

1 Like

Could be interesting, the only question is how much of a benefit would that really be? It seems to me that Japanese will build halbs in almost every game, so they’re getting those armor upgrades anyway. So it’s a very situational bonus.

That said, I agree maybe reworking their role is the way. Anti UU is weird and very situational. Maybe their elite upgrade should be free. That way you’re essentially getting the champion level unit instantly, you’d still need castles so champs would still have a situational roll but samurai would likely be what you push towards. Might be op though.

Could both ideas works… like a free (from upgrades) champion, useful for emergencies and fast pushes, but more costly, while the standard champs would still be better in the long run.