Armour: A Mathematical Analysis

You don’t have to micro them so specifically, you can change formations to get the benefit you in general want.

A lot of players use hussar to sit in front of their infantry to soak up skirmisher/musketeer fire. Coyotes would be really good at this in cover mode.

If its 5 coyotes vs 5 skirms, then yes they will perform worse than hussar. But, they will perform similar to uhlans. As I mentioned above, they have similar attack per pop, with significantly more HP per pop.

So, they can fulfill the role of soaking damage like a hussar. And they can attack skirms like an uhlan. Comparing them to standard cavalry is a little misleading since they have significantly more attack.

For the cavalry comparison chart above:
Coyotes - 18 attack per pop
Hussar - 15 attack per pop
Cossack - 26 attack per pop (man cossack are pop effective)
Uhlan - 18.5 attack per pop
Steppe Rider - 15 attack per pop

1 Like

Cossacks are the most underrated unit in the game in my opinion

3 Likes

it is important to recognize that steppe riders do 30 damage per pop when combating skirmishers/skirm type, they’re quite monstrous in their role

i do agree about cover mode for coyote, i specifically covered it in depth in my aztec guide, the trouble is that coyote do drop speed drastically when in cover mode, which removes their ability to snare. the exception here is if a dutch player has used coffee trade and you have coyote combat shipped, the speed nerf of dutch skirms stacked with the coyo speed buff cancel out and you can covermode snare indefinitely iirc

Yeah, but in my opinion, the reduced damage taken from anti-cav is an advantage, not something they need that badly, so the fact that they recieve the same damage from skirms as cav is just normal, not underperforming, cause they have nothing to justify their less damage taken really, they have a little less hp but have more attack, so they are quite balanced as i see it.

Of course they are pop effective! Cossacks are one of the best hand cavalry in the game (except for the asian ones, they are better vs skirms but worse overall), i think they´re actually the second best cavalry just behind gendarmes (cossacks are better if we don´t consider french 20 extra pop), cossacks are stronger pop-wise but gendarmes cost about 43% less than cossacks so they end up being a little better for their 120 pop instead of russian standard 100 pop.

Yeah, don´t know why, they are super strong

There’s also probably more diminishing returns on Cossacks. Since they’re melee units, you’ll have a lot of units in the back not attacking. Gendarmes compressing more damage in a smaller footprint should probably be more effective in fights.

1 Like

Yeah, they are worse in that regard, but still, you can mitigate that with micro mostly and maybe you´re not going 100 cossacks xd

1 Like