Arrows - my only massive complaint

agreement

Arrows are a pain.
The color of the game is the second pain

They are going after chinese market, is obvious…

Once i saw the arrows in the preview i cringed and couldnt take the rest of the video serious
The physics of the arrows are completely wrong. The projectile speed, the size, the color. It really looked like ballista bolts who spawn randomly next to the units.

5 Likes

Currently as I have seen from the “Fan Preview” the arrows are too big, too fast, and too thick. The size of an arrow is almost like a unit.
Therefore, it should be fixed by making it smaller, thinner, a little bit slower (if crossbow, bolts go faster and different size (shorter etc).

Moreover, the castle shoots arrows weirdly and should be improved.

4 Likes

Me and my brother did not like the arrows they are to big

1 Like

What is this nonsense? Can someone please explain to me why the graphics are worse today than in Age of Empires 2? They’ve had 22 years to develop this game, and this is the best they could do?

Are the developers blind? Can someone please explain to me why the arrows look like giant toothpicks? Why they’re almost as large the units themselves?

Even if we assume there is a trade-off between gameplay and quality graphics (there isn’t) can someone please explain the benefits of having arrows what are so big? From what I can see it’s all the units that have this problem. From the arrows to the lances to the swords.

Is this game catering to young children? Or perhaps the mentally or visually impaired?

I am stumped. Somewhere in the studio that designed these car crash graphics there’s a bro who thinks this makes sense. Perhaps it’s that dude with the big hair and hoodie with a British accent who presented the update on Saturday.

9 Likes

I wouldn’t mind if they delayed it another 1 or 2 years I’ll be honest just give me a good RTS. But yeah this was them more I re-watch the trailer the more bad things I spot.

3 Likes

Total nonsense.

Add that the arrows fly at the speed of the machine gun.
The villagers shoot an empty bow until an arrow appears
And so on

3 Likes

Simple, they want this game to run on consoles and want people to be able to play it from across the room.

Hello

I see the biggest problem in the big arrows.
Their speed is like a machine gun.
Example from a castle.
The villager both shoots from a bow and draws a bow without arrows.
And I think that’s what soldiers do and fire empty bows.

And I’m not talking about the big arrows firing a Chinese cannon.

The community will still welcome some blood and skeletons as the bodies decompose

1 Like

their speed is accurate

the curvature isn’t for the size of units and the distances involved in some of the shots.

Maybe they don’t want people to micro these arrows lol

1 Like

Besides that when they hit the target, they disappear almost instantly.

1 Like

I do not think. If you look closely, the arrows are thrown slightly upwards, but they do not decelerate when they reach the top (This is called momentum in physics) and they fall at the same speed as they were fired (I do not mean to say that it was like that) that the shot should be a little more in a straight line, just like the crossbowmen and archers in general of age of empires 3. The distances would have to be at least triple so that a shot from an arrow could be fired upwards and eventually fall on the enemy.

2 Likes

The arrows should probably get some motion blur to help sell them as fast-moving projectiles. But, yeah, also made wayyyy smaller and thinner, and realistically affected by shadows.

You might not be wrong, actually. I didn’t think of this. Might be putting a stone in place for an eventual console launch. I really hope you’re not correct. Or for a mobile version (tiny screens).

I feel the huge ballista-like arrows are either:

• A placeholder (they’re still fine-tuning the arrows and their animations on the back-end and just wanted something in place for the April 10th fan event; and they’ll look cool at beta or launch) - I’m leaning toward this one

• To make things exaggeratedly visible because making things blatantly obvious to players is the philosophy of some developers. (Personally, I far prefer fine, intricate detail (and realistic where it makes sense), implemented with quiet confidence; where faith is given in the ability of players to discern things on their own. We don’t need arrows highlighted with a “look at me” marquee, imo. Their presence isn’t, and shouldn’t be, the focus of the game; and in battles, they don’t shouldn’t take center stage.)

• For the visually-impaired (and if this is the reason, it should be a menu option to enable rather than the default look in the game)

• An oversight (maybe they thought it was “good enough”?)

• One of those things they plan to get to after more important mechanics are addressed, or

• Like @SoullessHeathen surmises, planning for a console future :confused: (or a mobile phone launch) (And if this is the case, why tarnish the PC experience? Make it toggleable, and not the default view. The 24" 1920x1200 monitor I’ll be using is only a couple feet away from my face… as I’m sure is the case for most PC users. I don’t need archers, towers, and castles shooting highlighter pens :smiley: )
1 Like

The arrows are too visible and when fired from towers or castles appear too large compared to the hole they came out of. Also stop a star wars lacer beam than an arrow. The arrows of age of empires 3 look very realistic, from the bow, when they are fired, their travel and on impact. Instead, we have arrows that when they hit, from one moment to another they disappear once they hit. Although I am not too demanding with realism, I also do not like things to look too false because the intention in principle of this game is to resemble a bit what a real combat would be. As for new mechanics, because there is nothing to discuss, I seem perfect and the graphics in general very beautiful despite what has already been mentioned.

3 Likes

the physics of age 4 projectiles: XD Yondu All Arrow and Fight scenes (Guardians of the Galaxy) - YouTube

2 Likes

The arrows need fixed for sure, and if they don’t get fixed give us a slider in the options for arrow scaling.
My main massive complaint would be the repeating crossbow unit from China. It should be called chu ko nu. I would also accept Zhuge Nu. Chu ko nu crossbow is repetitive as Nu is crossbow.

3 Likes

Okay, I don’t normally like memes on the AoE forum, but you got a chuckle out of me with that screenshot as it reminded me of the arrow’s behavior in the movie :rofl:

1 Like