Spain, England, Italy, and Dutch all seemed to play well. I would stick to Euro civs as the Asian and Native civs need some specialized attention.
Arhipelago was the map.
Ok. Archipelago still shouldn’t be playable yet. I’ve got some ideas on how to implement a way to take new islands but lots of problems are arising.
It’s not the island hopping y’all might be waiting for, but it is some other cool stuff:
- Minor change to warship prioritization so ai builds more frigates in age 3
- Sophistication added to warship attack plans. AI calculates desired fleet size based on target type (native fleets scaled accordingly)
- Check for forts and towers and make galleons & monitors depending on what the enemy has
- Naval attack time buffer removed (AI can constantly attack on water if it can find a target)
All the following moments are effectively AI vs AI:
Ships raiding fishing boats:
Warships attacking warships:
Warships attacking a dock/outpost:
Castles building next to docks:
Last but not least, a decent sized naval battle out on the open ocean:
I’ve been playing some games with this and the previous update, you can really feel it coming together. AI now puts up a good fight at age 2. Still, I think some things need tweaking:
- I’ve seen many times AI doesn’t use their wagons (any wagon) at age 2, and they will only use it at age 3. Outposts, TC’s, military wagons, etc, none will be used until age 3. As some AIS age up with the Governor (free outpost wagon), it really should be used as soon as it appears.
- Not only the wagons, but it seems ai won’t even build outpost until age 3 (not sure about castles, war huts), when they should be going up at age 2, when my fleet is not that big and can be scared away with towers. This, in turn, will help maintain docks up longer, which translates in more sea eco and warships.
- I’ve also noticed that, reaching age 3 and 4, normal outposts stop being a threat, especially if you have galleons. The Ai should try to update them to their appropriate age as a defence mechanism.
- In my games, AI stills lags behind on fishing ships, and not necessarily because of raids, as I attack docks first before fishing ships. As a result, the AI tends to lag in the mid to late game.
- The behaviour of changing dock location doesn’t seem to work ON SOME GAMES. At this point, almost all games have a point where AI changes location, but a couple of times they insisted on building it just in front of my ships and nowhere else in all the game.
Now, I know deck behaviour is finicky, but there are some shipments the AI already has in its deck but never sends:
- AI always send their 2 Caravel shipment or equivalent first in age 2, but they usually always have a Galleon shipment or equivalent at age 2 that it never sends. It also tends to have sea upgrades, sometimes for ship attacks and sometimes for fishing gather rates, but they are never sent. In age 3, it usually has a Frigate or equivalent that it sometimes do use (I have to check, but I’ve seen Frigates appearing on top of my ships lol)
- There is one card at least that I would argue should be in the AI deck and be used, and that is Schooners (or equivalent). This card reduces the cost of fishing ships, which would help it a lot, and some of their unique replacements for some civs, like the mexican one awarded with age up, also helps gather rates. Seeing as how the Ai tends to trip a bit economically starting at age 2, this card+the fishing upgrades would make them better.
I’ll upload some recordings later in the day so you can see some behaviour too. I still hasn’t tried it on Amazon or with Allies, those are my next tests.
I was able to include most of those suggestions:
- Add position influence for forts building near docks on island maps
- tweaked values to tower placement near docks
- Increased galleon shipment value
- Tweaked new dock postioning values
- research tower upgrade tech a little earlier on island maps
- reserve resources for fishing boats on island maps
There’s still this issue where the towers keep building right next to each other.
As for Schooners, I haven’t seen anything excluding them so I’ll have to kick that can down the road. Admiralty, Extensive Fortifications, Heavy Fortifications, and Frontier Defenses are excluded despite seeming potentially useful, though.
I’m still working on the multi-island issue, but in the meantime I’m thinking of these two as well:
- Garrison fishing boats
- Varied fishing strategies
I can make the fishing boats scale to the number of fish, whales, and players. I don’t know how to tell a unit to garrison, but I can tell them to go to the closes tower or fort, which would be a step above what they currently do. Any thoughts on how that should be managed?
The wagon issue seems to basically just be a bug. There’s an existing rule that is supposed to handle it but it doesn’t work properly for whatever reason, even though it basically reads “is there an idle wagon? Build something with it”
I think I got the wagon issue fixed-ish. Portugal, age 2, TC right next to docks as it should be. Inca was a little slow to the ball but started using its wagons 30 seconds or so into Age 2. I think the issue was that the original function would assign wagons to an existing plan in the queue, but that plan might not show up for a long time. I just commented that part out so the wagon will follow the other logic and build right away, whatever it is.
Also, Inca joining the fight to… fish? You can’t tell from the picture but that’s the enemy dock.
If you can see it, there’s some fishing boats hiding under the TC:
Oh boi this is slick! Keep up the good work!
I took a little break from AI coding and messed around with RM scripts. This is a reskin of Amazonia to convert it into the grand canyon (at least that’s the idea):
Are y’all interested in some new water maps?
I’ve been thinking a lot about why water maps aren’t played that much and I’ve been thinking about how the current options of water maps don’t encourage the kind of gameplay that the naval combat was designed around.
Ideally I’m looking to make a map or two with clearly defined choke points to force water vs base defense combat.
Hi! Hope you are enjoying your break from coding lol. I-ve been kinda full lately but I tested the last iteration of the mod. The AI now is a challenge in water, especially in age 2. I really liked it, and it forces me to spend resources stopping their ships.
Sadly, it seems it still has problems sending its galleon or equivalent shipment. I haven’t seen the ai build or send them in any of my games. They do send the mercenary ships and, when they age up to fortress, they also send the frigate. I’m still seeing they send their unit shipments after their first navy shipment when they don’t need them. AI usually have the 2 ships, a galleon like ship and some water upgrade card, many times extra attack. Those should have a higher priority, as a galleon in age 2 would help them defend a lot. As of now, they send the 2 ships, 700 coin and then their 2 unit shipment, disregarding some more important.
Also, in many many games, I still haven’t seen the AI build defenses in age 2, not near the docks nor anywhere. I do llike how they build 2 in a dock, is extra defence, but it should also build them in other patches of land, and then reinforce with artillery or alike. As many times the AI doesn’t build defences until age 2, and they don’t send their upgrades or galleon, they tend to fall behind at late age 2. Many times they don’t even age to fortress, when they should.
Another thing i’ve noticed is that the ai keeps struggling with dock locations, even more than before. In a previous build, the ai were more consistent in changing dock location. Now, they many times keep sending their villagers to a place where all my ships are. maybe some tunning here and there.
One thing that surprised me was a game against Inca, when I saw the ai had landed a villager in the trade post island to build a TP there, first time in my life playing AOE3 I’ve seen the ai doing something similar. Also in that same game, I saw the AI build in age 2 a forward barrack/outpost at a far corner of its ow island, which would have work as an amazing defensive base, except i was already at age 4 and one monitor was enough to destroy it. That makes me think the functionality is there, but that there is something preventing it to work most of the time. As always, some recordings:
Record Game 2023-02-07 22-05-53.age3Yrec (9.2 MB)
Record Game 2023-02-01 13-08-41.age3Yrec (9.1 MB)
Record Game 2023-02-07 05-57-22.age3Yrec (10.1 MB)
Record Game 2023-02-07 21-15-01.age3Yrec (8.8 MB)
I’d love to try some too, I have an interest to resuscitate water maps in this game, and AI and new maps would work amazing. Hope you can update the mod soon too!