Assuming only 10 civs in aoe4, what should they be?

Who is the main global politics? Europe was not an important trader until it discovered Americas.
India and China were huge trade hubs in medieval world. India traded heavily with Africa, Middle East and South East. China with Central Asia, Japan, Middle East.

1 Like

Trade, trade, trade.

I agree with Europe being represented too much, if I had the choice I would say Normans, Byzantines and thats it for Europe. But we know today the World revolves around Western culture and history emphasises on them, not us. I am not a European but I long time acknowledged this.

Truth is Europeans shaped the World not Khmer so noone is curious about their history. Nobody cares who was mightier back in the day.

4 Likes

You said “didn’t interact much” but it’s only remotely accurate for Japanese, and straight up false for the other ones you mentioned.

AoE4 might give more place to cultural influence, and not just combat (ie.we could end up with more than relics and wonders). WE can’t know if the “clash” is the most important criteria.

Welp, why? Khmer are indeed a really distinct culture and if there are too much European nations the devs might choose to include them. Also it might not be a choice between Byzantines/Khmer, but something like Franks/Teutons or Teutons/Khmer?

And invaded the neighbour countries. And had alliances with the Cholas.

But the design choice of Age 3 are really different, since it’s mainly focused on the colonization of the Americas. Also in aoe3 you have 3 cultures (European, Natives and Asian) that are each split in several civs. In Age 4 the civs will be more like these cultures. The best comparison would with Age of Mythology, but AoE4, instead of 5 culture split in gods would have 10-12 cultures.

I’m pretty much sure Cambodgian people don’t care at all about William Wallace, or Joan of arc, and the likes, nor do they care to remember whether Pizzaro was the dude who killed the Aztecs or Incas.

2 Likes

Britons, Mongols, Franks, Teutons and Chinese.

Japanese, Vikings, Goths, Huns and Saracens.

That would do for me if we had to pick 10 that fit the theme.

Both have similar political structure and religion, both are caliphates (ummayad and ottoman)

Put your hand on your heart and tell me, would aoe fans be happy to see one or two civ per continent ?
If we are going to have 10 civs with what you desire:

2 civs from Europe: 1 Byzantines, 1 Normans
1 civ from middle east: Saracens
1 civ from central asia: a Turko-Mongol civ
1 civ from South asia: India(but which india?)
1 Chinese civ
1 Japan
1 Malay like civ
1 aztecs
Well, we are stuck. africa needs at least 3 civs. There are completely distinct Berber, Ethiopian and subsaharan civilizations but we only have one civ to go.

I can see 90% of fans enraging to this.

It is going to be about mainly clashes, the gameplay trailer I think emphasised on it.
Well nobody cares about what Cambogdian people care about. Btw even aoe 3 expansions were pretty neglectful. asian dynasties… Well, where is Safavid Empire ?!?!

1 Like

That sounds good + need one eastern european civ (slavs)

Perfect!

Probably some hindu kingdom from mainland india will best represent India, select any one of the following regions (in bracket are the most influencial cultures in those regions):
Hindustani (Hindavi, Rajasthani, Punjabi)
Dravidian (Tamil, Telegu, Kannada)
East Aryan (Bengali, Odia)

Of course, most important civ.

People love samurai culture.

Malay, Ayuthaya or Khmer all three are a good choices for south east asia. Malay maybe the best as Indonesia (also in Malaysia) has the 4th largest population today so the biggest audience.

Aztecs were majestic!
Also if possible we should also try to put Incas from South America

Berbers/Morocco are kind of similar to Arabs, I guess we need to choose between Eastern Africa(Ethiopian, Sudanese, Kenyan), Sub Saharan (Mali, Benin), and Central African (Bantu: Swahili) need a choice.

Please don’t be disrespectful of Cambodian People. Mongols may be limited in population today but we all respect them for their influencial empire. Khmer Cambodia deserves the same amount of respect.

They might have constraint of 3 civs. India China were a better choice over Japan, Thai and Persia for Asian Dynasties. I hope they will try to add the left out civs in future.

I am not being disrespectful towards them. I am just stating some facts. I am for example Turkish and I say the same thing for Turkish people too. Nobody cares how we perceive history.

Most likely to be in the game:

• British
  • Mongols
  • French
  • Germans (Holy Roman Empire)
  • Byzantines
  • Russians (Kievan Rus)
    The others that should be in the game, given geographical location:
  • Polish
  • Hungarian
  • Wallachian
  • Teutonic Order

DLC Tales of the East:

• China
  • Japan
  • Korea
  • Khemer (Indochina)
  • India

DLC Brave New World:

• Spain
  • Portugal
  • Aztecs
  • Mayans
  • Inca

DLC The Rise of Islam:

• Arabs
  • Persia
  • Berbers
  • Turks
  • Goths (Visigoths)
6 Likes

=> Says most likely to be in the game.
=> Proceeds to add Wallachia among first ten civs while leaving Saracens, Turks, Chinese out lmao !

at least call it your suggestion.

2 Likes

His suggestion is based on the fact that there will likely be DLCs, so it’s quite a possible outcome.

2 Likes

We already know Mongols and British will be in the base game. If they planned such a thing I doubt Mongols would make it to the base game. You may say they maybe add some of them from the start but I think it is extremely unlikely.

Lol why would goths be classed as Islam

2 Likes

Play the Tariq Ibn Ziyad Campaign of Aoe2. You will get answer to your question.

1 Like

Tariq was the Muslim, not the Visigoths

Yes, just like the Aztecs were the meso, not the Spanish.

1 Like

Because the Visigoths fought the Calpihate and this hypothetic DLC is about the Muslim Conquests.

I think another good way to select important/diverse civilizations is by the architecture sets of Aoe2 since it is very evenly distributed on important epicenters of civilizations and cultures from around the world:

• East Asian (Chinese)
  • Middle Eastern (Arabs)
  • Central European (Germans)
  • Western European (Franks)
  • Native American (Aztec)
  • Mediterranean (Romans)
  • South Asian (Indians)
  • Eastern European (Slavs)
  • African (Malians)
  • Southeast Asian (Khmer)
  • Central Asian (Persians)
3 Likes

Persians had a considerable state only until 651, Sassanids. After them Iran was under control of first Arabic then various Turkic or Turko-Mongol kingdoms all the way to 20th century Reza Shah Pahlawi. Medieval era starts at 476 and ends at something like 1450-1500.
Now if this game was about classical era I would agree architecture is a good measure but not in medieval times.

Also Mongols were the most powerful and biggest empire of medieval times and they lived in tents.

Btw for some reason people tend to ignore we are already revealed 2 civs so we should think accordingly.

In fact even more so, probably other civs are also already designed so…this topic is kinda pointless.

3 Likes

they were not a civilization. neither the vikings.

persian culture is what matters, not who controlled them. persians heavily influenced the central asian culture, formed a major branch of islam with a distinct identity.

You forgot the Safavid Empire?

architecture is always a good measure to choose culturally diverse civilizations.

2 Likes