Axeman Rush (especially in 1v1s)

Hi all!

About Tool age - Axeman rush strategy

In 1v1s I found that the Axeman rush is realy efective,

(Build order: 2 houses and Granary 5 or 6 Villagers on berries the rest on wood, then as fast as possible a storage pit near a good forest once more food sources are found the focus goes on food until aging up to Tool age while aging build two barracks and then to start to train club man and simply upgrading the Leather upgrade in storage pit and Axeman and rushing to opponents base)

What do you all think about that strategy which gets people mad (sometimes super mad… and for a good reason) for being rushed?
And what is the best way to counter it other then doing it yourself before the opponent?

Please post any seggestion of good counters to the Axeman rush

BTW it seems harder to defend from the ‘Axeman rush’ then from the ‘Archers rush’ for the Axeman are tougher and even if you build towers the axeman can easily wipeout most of your villagers while Archers die faster

IMO: Cheesing is part of the game, even tho I personally hate it. Rarely do it myself (mostly on other RTS games, havent tried very early game rushes so far) and I like playing closer to late/end-game. Looks like a fun strat tho
+1

That’s my favorite strategy as well. Last time I used it, my opponent defended by building a tower and training slingers. Slingers work quite well against axemen after you research stone mining.

And there’s nothing wrong with rushing. Finding and then using the most effective strategy is one of the main aspects of the game.

@FreedonianArrow said:
Hi all!

About Tool age - Axeman rush strategy

In 1v1s I found that the Axeman rush is realy efective,

(Build order: 2 houses and Granary 5 or 6 Villagers on berries the rest on wood, then as fast as possible a storage pit near a good forest once more food sources are found the focus goes on food until aging up to Tool age while aging build two barracks and then to start to train club man and simply upgrading the Leather upgrade in storage pit and Axeman and rushing to opponents base)

What do you all think about that strategy which gets people mad (sometimes super mad… and for a good reason) for being rushed?
And what is the best way to counter it other then doing it yourself before the opponent?

Please post any seggestion of good counters to the Axeman rush

The Storage Pit is worth the investment if you have 2 straggler trees next to it (each gives 75 wood) if you have a different resource nearby, like a stone mine, gazelles or elephant(s). The straggler trees allow fast wood chopping for another storage pit in a different place while you profit from effective gathering/mining due to short ways. It’s even worth to build pits next to shore fish. 2 fishermen gather food extremely fast if they do not need to run to drop off their fish.

It’s also possible to start with storage pit instead of a granary. This will help especially with Persians or Palmyrans, since Gazelles/elephants/shore fish are hunted faster. You need to be fast for this though, but it works if you can find shore fish or gazelles near your town center within the first minute.

Counters to Axemen rushes are archers and slingers (with micromanagement aka “hit&run”).

Worst thing you can do is going bronze if you cannot protect your economy. If you have a good start you can try that though, but it’s risky since you could loose lots of villagers if your enemy scouts you well.

Also, another thing I see from new players is that players try to fight upgraded Axemen with villagers. If rushed by Axes it’s extremely important to not fight them with villagers. Instead run away and redeploy your storage pit/granary somewhere else and while doing that to produce military yourself. If ever you get in a position to fight axemen is when they a) have no armour upgrade or b) are alone and you have at least 8 villagers that can club the Axeman to death. If not you’ll loose villagers, and this is bad.

edit: also, a good axemen rush should happen around the 10-12 minute mark. Any later and you risk that your enemy gets to bronze age, which negates a lot of your rushing potential (wheel tech, Cavalry, better archers etc.).

I see people go mass slingers, counter archer, counter wall.

The strategy seems pretty strong. I did see someone defend against it well in a 3v3 though against me. He just ran his vills away and got to bronze age instead then made cavalry. But you need to not lose vills. As long as they have +2 armor there’s no way to fight axeman with vills.

In 1v1 there’s less lag so I believe with enough space the archers can either win or draw the axeman away to at least a draw. With a wall even with 1 space open I’d give it to the archers. I doubt archers or slingers can fight axeman straight up.

Just use 2-3 clubmen with armour upgrade as meatshields against axes to block them. Allows Archers/slingers to shoot without worrying. And if hte Axes chase they get damage from Clubmen in the long run.

If he gets infantry armor your clubmen will tickle the axemen. And it’s a lot of resources sunk that could’ve been spent on more archers.

150 food isn’t much if it helps you to beat the axers without them killing off your workers (which hurts far more). If the enemy goes heavy on axemen it might be worth getting axers yourself. Alternatively you can tech toolworking to negate the armour in case you want to not upgrade Axemen to save food in the long run.

Axeman die to archers (not slingers as much…but archers). Best defense to the axe rush is to know it’s coming and prepare for it. Watch the score and see if it jumps up prematurely due to military build-up, especially if you aren’t tool yet and he’s building clubbers while tooling…so he can upgrade to axer later.

Heh, create one clubman to make people think there is a tool rush :slight_smile:

Nice strategy, here is another nice one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4qRGvvxLjA with the same idea.

Thank for the tips

That is a great strategy. It’s my personal favorite and I use them all the time. Here’s a video I made recently about tool rushing with clubmen and then axemen. It’s a deadly strategy and it does get people pretty mad :wink:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=9HwGvwAEAcI