Ballistics fails to hit fast units moving in a straight line

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

• GAME BUILD #: 101.101.51737.0 7126076
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 7

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

Ballistics doesn’t reach units moving in straight lines in certain situations. The issue occurs with faster moving units, moving far enough from the target firing, perpendicular to the direction of arrows or moving away from the target.

Will tipically happen when a Hussar runs through a post-imp castle at around maximum range distance, but may happen as well with slower units as knights, being shot by lower range targets such as arbalesters.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

• 100% of the time

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. Go to scenario editor
  2. Give player 1 a fast moving unit (such as light cavalry or a knight), give player 2 any target that can shoot arrows at long range (such as a castle or a tower). Set both player’s starting age to post-imperial.
  3. Test the scenario and run your fast moving unit near the firing target.
  4. It is crucial that you move as far away as possible, with the target is still able to shoot, and in a straight line.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

If the unit is moving in a straight line, ballistics should ensure that the fire ALWAYS reaches the moving target

:arrow_forward: IMAGE & VIDEO

Here is an editted clip from TheViper where the issue occurs. Clip starting at 5:56 and until 6:14 TheViper Stream Highlights #16 - YouTube

In the picture you see a Hussar running under castle fire with ballistics in a straight line, but the arrow fire is not hitting the moving unit.

2 Likes

Hi @MatDaymond !

Thank you for your detailed report! We’re now tracking this issue :blush:

1 Like

Hope the information helps!

1 Like

Hello @MatDaymond,

The team decided to treat this as By Design, as it limits how far the castle can shoot outside of its range. The castle could shoot outside of its maximum range trying to match the movement of super fast units, if this were changed.

In any case, thank you so much for your help! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

So if this is by design, then ballistics should not be advertised as making sure to hit moving units?
As well: if you watch the clip of TheViper: the first shot clearly would have hit within the range of the castle (same with the screenshot of OP)
I am fine with debating if the shot that got repeated in Vipers video should hit (that target is maybe out of range of castle until castle hits)

Insert “It’s not a bug, it’s a feature” - meme here

And why the castle should or need be able to shoot out of his range?

Imagine the unit that will get shot is on the edge of the range of the castle. Now the castle shoots, while the arrows are in the air the unit moves out of the range of the castle. Now you have a problem: Ballistics should make sure castle hits the target → arrows fly further than range

The here proposed “solution” is: even units that are in range of the castle at the start of the shooting animation and still are in range when arrows land will not be hit 11

Dude, this has started to happen to archers now as well.

It might be too complicated to implement, but in theory wouldn’t a better solution be to calculate if the unit will / is out of range and not fire if it will be / is?

Another better solution in theory is that if a unit is traveling out of range, the arrows only travel to max range, therefore missing the unit short.

1 Like

Oh, I see it cannot be fixed as I thought. Anyway, I appreciate very much your attention :slight_smile:

FYI in today’s patch:

• Ballistics projectiles are now more accurate against high speed targets.
1 Like

@SavvyEmpire Yes!

I am happy to see the issue being fixed after today’s patch. Now ballistics works exactly as I expected.
Big thanks to the team :slight_smile:

1 Like