Balloon Politician

Does anyone ever use the age1 Inventor politician that grants a hot air balloon? It’s pretty nifty for knowing exactly what the opponent is up, but it doesn’t seem worth it to sacrifice the resources or tower from the other politicians…
It would be nice if it was buffed in some way to make it somewhat competitive… like in addition to the balloon ability it gives all units and buildings improved LOS.
Thoughts?

5 Likes

I am not an AoE III player but if I was I would always pick the politician who gives hot air balloons because it seems pretty cool.

3 Likes

That’s a good idea to make it more interesting without being OP.

Another thing I might add is that you can unlock baloons with cards, available in every european civ’s roster. Perhaps if the player chooses to use the baloon card, the Inventor politician gets a different bonus, maybe a buff to the baloon or a free tech or two.

2 Likes

This is another cool thing that’s never used because it is competing with better things.
The balloon should be trainable from the church or TC or something, for 200 wood or so.

3 Likes

I always pick the baloon politician in Age V, since i dont play mercs and the other politicians are more situational (and i can get those units via other ways).

1 Like

In treaty it’s a whole different story.
Actually I think the age 1 balloon politician would be better in treaty and get the AgeV coin crates.

I may be mistaken but I think OP was referring to the age2 politician and so was I. The age 5 one is fine, i use him all the time as well, cause he lasts forever.

1 Like

Totally agree with you fine Sir, maybe it should cost only 700 food? or maybe it should come with an spy and/or a Priest! (like better this last idea)

2 Likes

That’s an excellent idea!
Or could even have a bonus that also increases tech research speed or something fitting with the inventor tag.
Literally anything to make it worth sending because it would be fun to see its use in ranked games.

1 Like