Ban Nomad forever?!?!?!?

it makes it wierder not easier

old nomad used to be a proper random map too

the new one they have in ranked is not really nomad, which is a separate problem

they dumbed it down to make it more like a pre-explored map for the people who said ā€œitā€™s too unpredictableā€, ā€œitā€™s too randomā€

but everything indicates that those people still hate nomad, so changing it was just pointless

9 Likes

If you donā€™t know how to play Nomad, donā€™t play it.

But I would not. Given the choice between a nomad start map and Arena (or any map as closed as or more closed than Arena) I will take the nomad start. Thatā€™s just my current preference, open land>half open land>hybrid>nomad>water>closed>extremely closed. This might change, I might become a huge Black Forest fan. But Nomad at best is a medium annoying map to me, no reason to go after it quite this hard.

Nah, please no. Nomad is one of the few maps that doesnā€™t get vomit inducing after 3-4 plays.

8 Likes

Which would be a reason for it to be in the secondary queue so it would be played more often.

1 Like

You are overreactingā€¦ Nomad start is not luck. There are too much resources spread in very equitative distantes. You only have to spend a little time to catch the right place for the TC. Then is just like a regular startā€¦

4 Likes

Build order is too much of a stretch/you lack a scout and are forced to scout with fairly limited villagers - regardless of where the vills spawn / it changes the theme of the regular start queue too much and makes players ban it automatically due to that - it would shine in the secondary queue

1 Like

Anyone who plays at a decent level like 1500+ 1v1 or 2500+ TG will tell you that nomad is a much tougher map to master and is a more preferred map by better players you have no guaranteed safe build orders you have to adapt to every situation different. Lots of newer players feel lost on nomad as they donā€™t understand important concepts. Lots of lower skilled players donā€™t read the situation well they plan to FC boom even though they are right next to opponent. When they get towered or castle dropped by Spanish they give out about how its a tower fest. Or they get ganged up on and they didnā€™t ask their teamate next to them what their opening strategy was. Lots of new players donā€™t dock because they donā€™t understand how important it is. The luck of the resources is irrelevant largely because if you play 100 games you will get as many bad maps as good maps same as every other player and you may have a bit more advantage of course if your better at that game as you will have better idea if if you should cut your losses and build bad TC spot or keep searching longer. Nomad is just a map that newer and weaker players struggle on as they can barely do their build orders yet as they are understandably new to the game and nomad puts them in an awkward spot. Nomad will grow on most players as they improve their skills. When I was new to the game I hated nomad now I like it for the fresher gameplay it brings

5 Likes

Isnt this true for many maps? When you start you probably like just a single map, since you start to learn the basics of that map. As result people branch out into different map types. It is a great journey of learning new concepts and improve into the game. For me the journey started at black forest games. Easily wallable maps looks much more secure for new players. I learned how to FC into boom, but i still died to early aggression and i wasnt able to play any open maps for that reason. I just died to a simple scout rush. I hated all these aggressive players. Step by step i learned to play open maps as well and i started to improve my own rushes as well. Currently i even hate these close maps like black forest. At one point into the game i also branched out to hybrid and water maps. This will also include the nomad start maps. I enjoy playing them. They keep the game refreshing for me.

So having all kind of different maps in the map pool will result in having this great experience of discovering the beauty of the game and the beauty of all different kind of maps. Based on your experience some maps might be harder to master, but that isnt really a reason to put them not into the map pool. By banning nomad forever you deny the experience of the journey around all the different map options that the game has to offer.

Next weeks we seem to have a great map pool. Lots of different kind of maps. Lots of options to branch out to other kind of maps and enjoy the great experience you can get on these maps as well. This is one of big benefits of the ranked ladder system compared to the old lobby where everyone just played 1 map only. It is a great improvement to the game in my opinion.

I would even love to see a bit more engagements for tournamenets. Big tournaments most likely have their own maps. Some of them are really great and i would love to see them into the map pool when the tournament is player. For example: We have finished RBW4 in the last weeks. Why not put some of these tournement maps into the map pool? That would be great as well. You can see how the pros approach a game and try to replicate that into your own games. You might fail, since your execution is probably a lot worse, but at least it will give you a great experience.

1 Like

Ya I agree with everything you said and I also started off playing maybe a year of BF and arena on HD before my first time playing Arabia in definitive edition. Lots of players donā€™t want to step out their comfort zones and play maps they new to. Itā€™s a shame cos they will get bored fast. I still love almost all maps to this day now and itā€™s more fun this way. Even though naturally open maps are preferred if I only play Arabia itā€™s boring

They kinda do that already.

All RBW4 maps will be included next patch (mostlikely tho only for the new EW ladder) and tehy already ā€œstoleā€ lota maps from tourneys.

Size the mountain, four lakes, african clearing, coastal forest, golden swamp and more maps are all just renamed or at most slightly changed old tournament maps ^^

2 Likes

Exactly - and in the secondary variable queue nomad will shine brightly and so will many other game modes which will enhance the game experience greatly.

Is this noob-speak for ā€œI only play arabia and alt-f4 if I donā€™t get arabiaā€ ?

2 Likes

I disagree. Donā€™t be toxic / I understand the frustration that players have to playing in a normal ranked queue only to be later thrust into something they have to learn to adapt to that has such a different start than every other mapā€™s setting so it gets banned and wastes a ban that could be used on banning maps that they actually donā€™t like - they might even like the nomad map but hate the nomad start. Sliding in a seperate gamemode to the normal starts queue is detrimental to the casual playerbase.

They can adapt to many maps as long as the start has the basic 3 vills/1scout/bonuses start with the map generating the rest - that does not limit them to arabia. It does not include nomad or mega random which are both wasted in this queue and would shine in the variable starts ranked queue where they would be given the chance to be played often.

I do like nomad maps. I donā€™t like the original hybrid one tho because I mostly cant play hybrid maps.

A post that makes a value judgment on what constitute a good and bad map, calling maps inferior and generalizing about the entire player base is toxic. This forum is full of arabia bros and my reaction was more towards the attitude that OP shows: the poster is essentially saying they do not have enough bans to pick the maps that they like and propose dropping them. OP is trying to essentially create a custom ranked ladder with the maps they are used to.

Nomad or a variation of nomad is consistently chosen every month for the ranked queue, meaning it does have a consistent following. It is and has been part of AoE2 for years and is loved by pros and noobs alike.

2 Likes

When you play for a few years and get used to standard games youā€™ll hop on the nomad bandwagon too :slightly_smiling_face: just you wait

Iā€™ve been playing since childhood and further still off and on since 2012 or so - I like nomad - I do not believe it belongs in this part of the queue however and would shine in a variable starts queue.

1 Like

After I play nomad games and have tougher to e balancing ecos between land and water and army land and or water I feel I have improved far faster when I return to a simpler Arabia game