Bengali Wonder: why are the trees so small?

My wish is they make this 10x10 building an editor decor building. And make a new repurposed model that fits the aspect ratio as it should.

4 Likes

So whatā€™s the opinion poll here?

• Bengali Wonder aspect ratio needs to be corrected
  • Bengali Wonder half sized trees look fine.

0 voters

The other Indian wonders also need to be adjusted for scale. See the Gurjara wonder as well (the Somnath Temple). It is also way too small. At least give us editor versions which are scaled properly. And they should be appropriate for 4K UHD version of the game (I am using this) as well as regular version.

7 Likes

I decided to have a look at what this would look like.

The Gurjarasā€™ Wonder was clearly designed to be double size, and then scaled down. In fact, even at double the size, the trees on it look a bit small.

Iā€™m not so sure about the Dravidiansā€™ one. The trees look properly scaled at double size, but the surrounding walls and gate look oversized to me.

Plus it makes sense for the Gurjarasā€™ and Bengalisā€™ Wonders both to have been designed to be 10-by-10, since they were designed at the same time ā€“ but the Dravidians one is the old Indian one, so was designed much earlier. The tree shrinking seems to have occurred between HD and DE ā€“ on HD the trees on it looked short, but not undersized (though you canā€™t see their trunks, so itā€™s a bit hard to tell).

1 Like

What happened? What do you think is a good work around for the Dravidian one? It still seems abit small but may not need to be re-sized to be same scale as Gurjara/Bengali one perhaps?

The Dravidian (original Indian) looks OK in its original size.
The Gurjara needs ~50% increase.
The Bengali needs ~100% increase
The Hindustani needs ~25% decrease.

Hereā€™s what Iā€™d do with all of them:

• Dravidians: widen the walls slightly so it takes up the full 5-by-5 square. Enlarge the tower slightly into the newly made space. Either remove the trees completely, or enlarge them so theyā€™re the same height as regular palm trees.
  • Gurjaras and Bengalis: add scenario editor buildings using the current sprites but at about double the size. Probably 8-by-8 (the same size as the Cathedral) although could be as much as 10-by-10.
  • Gurjaras: remove the rows of pillars and the small section* at the bottom right. Enlarge whatā€™s left to fill the 5-by-5 square. Probably remove the trees completely and just leave paving around it.
  • Bengalis: remove the trees and enlarge the walls in the corners. Widen the bands of team colour. Leave the rest roughly as it is. (This isnā€™t ideal ā€“ it would still look underwhelming next to other wonders ā€“ but I donā€™t see any obvious way to enlarge the building itself while keeping it 5-by-5.)

(Of course, this is a substantial amount of work just to appease a handful of people!)

*Disclaimer: I realise this might be a really essential part of the building! I donā€™t know anything about Gurjara architecture and my suggestion might seem ridiculous to someone who does ā€“ akin to suggesting, say, that a medieval English cathedral should have its chancel at the west end (cf. the Britonsā€™ Wonder).

I hadnā€™t thought about that ā€“ it does have an overly large footprint. (But so does the Korean one, and I donā€™t think that should be changed.)

1 Like

Iā€™d say just make small trees the redesign of trees fully and implement it in all maps. It will make the game and scenarios more streamlined and will solve a complaint where most people canā€™t see certain aspects of how you might have created a map - I would also make the small plants smaller. This would allow for more people to consider not removing such things that may be more of an art aspect on some maps.

That being said, the trees being tall is also fine as is, and it would be nice for wonder trees to match the size of most other trees.

They could just add the larger sized more realistic models of both the Gurjara and Bengali wonders into the editor. At the least that will help have the resources in game which can be used for patches or mods. The larger models should be added for UHD as well.

1 Like

How does this address the Wonder scaling problem?

Also, Iā€™m pretty sure that ā€œpopular mods as in-game settingsā€ in the roadmap will at least include small trees. No need to force them upon everyone.

It will be hilarious seeing a large trees mod with 20 times more subscribers after they make small trees part of base game.

3 Likes

even moreso with more tree mods in general - Iā€™m curious what types of trees the community would create.

It seems to have had a different tree model earlier before release:

Above image is having higher resolution than the model ingame.

3 Likes

Can you release this as a mod for the Bengali wonder?

2 Likes

Can you fix the Gurjara wonder too?

1 Like

I cannot because I donā€™t have the higher res textures for it to work with.

Where or site did the Bengali one come from?

From Art Station, authorā€™s name is written under the picture in the image.

Interesting, they look like AoE1 trees. Not sure if they actually are, though.