Best graphics for Age of empires - for Microsoft

Honestly Microsoft, age of empires deserved something much better !! Compare the graphics of this remaster( Age of Emires: Definitive Edition) with Spell Force 3 !!! It is ridiculous to compare … what we fans want is an age of empires with the graphics of Spell Force 3 for example … Sorry for the sincerity, but it is a tip of a great fan of the game !!

I hope there’s still time …

Hugs
Mauricio Nalesso

I always like seeing new screenshots. Looks really nice, even though stated otherwise above. A huge part of the nostalgia and the atmosphere is that it looks better without being changed.

I must say I prefer the new AoE1 graphics over that other game. Sure the other one looks more realistic, but the large trees and high buildings block the view behind them making it harder to see what is going on. Also the larger units of AoE1 makes them easier to see and to tell apart. In that other game the units are so small it would be much harder to see what kind of units they are at a glance. AoE does not compromise gameplay for good looking visuals and I like that.

Better graphics is always nice, but to an extent. In any RTS you don’t want insane graphics that woo you because it distracts from what the game actually is about. Keeping it simple but still modern would suffice for me at least. :smiley:

@Mauricio_Nalesso said:
Honestly Microsoft, age of empires deserved something much better !! Compare the graphics of this remaster( Age of Emires: Definitive Edition) with Spell Force 3 !!! It is ridiculous to compare … what we fans want is an age of empires with the graphics of Spell Force 3 for example … Sorry for the sincerity, but it is a tip of a great fan of the game !!

I hope there’s still time …

Hugs
Mauricio Nalesso

I think you are right, Mauricio. It would be absolutely great if AoE DE would have a state of the art 3D graphic that can compete against modern strategy games like SpellForce 3. In my eyes the updated 2D graphics that seems to be the decision of the designers has it’s own charm as well but I really would prefer 3D graphics.

@WitlessBinkie said:
Better graphics is always nice, but to an extent. In any RTS you don’t want insane graphics that woo you because it distracts from what the game actually is about. Keeping it simple but still modern would suffice for me at least. :smiley:

Yeah, but I think it is possible to do both at the same time. Let us take Star Craft 2 as an example. I think it’s graphics looks really nice but at the same time it is rather clear and very simple and it provides a great overview of everything. AoE DE could take the same path and could have a graphic that looks as good as the graphic of SpellForce 3 and provides the same clear overview Star Craft 2 does. So it could be somewhat in the middle of those two engines. In every case it does not need to have a somewhat unspectacular 2D graphics it has at present to provide good overview.

@Mauricio_Nalesso said:

Agreed! spell force 3 got better graphics they should make it like that.

@AlexSpartanΛ said:

@Mauricio_Nalesso said:

Agreed! spell force 3 got better graphics they should make it like that.

Its also a newer game and part of the remaster is to stay true to the original grpahics.

You realize it is still built on the 1997 engine with 2D Sprites, right? Personally, I don’t want 3D graphics - That’s not AoE. This is fine.

I agree that AoE is the best game of all for its gameplay, but it stopped in time! It’s not just graphics, the mechanics of the warriors is always the same, it moves in only 4 directions … Look AoE 3 for example, when the villager cuts the tree the bowls !! It’s a simple detail that you obviously do not keep looking at all the time, but it’s a detail that makes a lot of difference. That’s what AoE would like !!

SO if we are talking system requirements, I hope we have the option to run on high-def or lower settings. My pc will be fine but a lot of AOE players never got into building gaming computers, at least only half of my friends didn’t, including me.

Requirements for DE:

Architecture: X64 required
Processor: 1.8 Ghz+ Dual Core or greater i3, i5, or i7, or AMD equivalent
Graphics: Intel HD 4000 or Greater (16 or more Execution Units), AMD or nVidia GPU scoring 500 or more on Passmark G3D Mark
Memory: 4GB
Storage: 8-10GB

My Laptop: (haha)
Windows 7 professional (better than windows 10 imo)
x64
2.20 GHz i5-5200U
Graphics (no idea)
Memory 8gb
storage - enough

I should be fine, since these specs are not hard to hit, but I would LOVE a moderator to explain how xbox live will be incorporated. I would really like to explore that world and I’m really interested in the beta.

If they are planning AOE 4 then i can assure you it would be graphically the best RTS . I remember how beautiful AoE 3 looked when it got launched, well ahead of it’s competition.

This is just a remaster that too on a very old engine.

You are comparing a 2D game and a 3D game. Apples and oranges.

I disagree completely… I love what they have done with the new AOE1 graphics.

Nothing to say about it. Yes, those 3D graphics are amazing to my eyes as SCII and AOEIII did, but remember that AOE DE is a remastered (or remake?) version of old AOE I using THE SAME ENGINE (which is unbelievable).

@qweytr24 said:
I must say I prefer the new AoE1 graphics over that other game. Sure the other one looks more realistic, but the large trees and high buildings block the view behind them making it harder to see what is going on. Also the larger units of AoE1 makes them easier to see and to tell apart. In that other game the units are so small it would be much harder to see what kind of units they are at a glance. AoE does not compromise gameplay for good looking visuals and I like that.

I agree with Qweytr24. The units are harder to see with the higher buildings and trees.

Spellforce 3 is actually using a great engine. It looks incredible.

Some screenshots taken by me, from beta gameplay. All images are on 4k resolution with ultra settings.

Yes, I hope to see a similar engine in next Age of empire.

This kind of detail is cannot be done in genie engine since it’s a tile based prerendered 2D. Also since it’s a remaster they want to stick with the old design and atmosphere so altering the graphics too much would be crucial. However I’d like to see the AoE franchise go to the 3D based and more modern engine along with design elements (like they did in AoM) and make the best out of it. We’re making some similar kind of game with my team (but that’s another story) so I can assure you that things work much different so you can’t expect the developers to “experiment” with AoE DE. However what I’d like to see is a bit more diversity in animations and also a bit more realistic.

I prefer the remastered Aoe graphics to spell force 3, proper Rts.

Never seen SpellForce 3 but it looks very promising indeed.

AOE is dead. I’ve been following the series since AOE1 in 1997 until MS killed it off in 2008.
This remaster is an insult. It doesn’t even appear to be a proper poject, just a glorified fan made mod with some official MS sanction.

Everyone should abandon MS and support Spell Force 3. This is the only way MS will learn because they aren’t listening. 10 years since AOE3 for this is a joke.