Blizzard, please, take the AOE4 development

Relic haven’t had an intentional pause in any of their games (including Homeworld).

This is completely wrong.

Relic has active pause in most of their previous titles, including Homeworld 1 and 2 (and Remaster), Dawn of War 1, 2, 3 and Company of Heroes 1, 2 (and the upcoming 3). Not to mention that this feature is also available in AoE 2 and 3.

If such a feature is in most of their games as well as the previous versions of AoE, then it is very natural to regard a lack of this feature as a missing feature.

3 Likes

I don’t remember a game that wouldn’t let you pause it since Mike Tyson’s Punch Out. That game came out in 1987. It didn’t make any sense then.

You can pause in older Relic games, just like you can pause in Age IV. But you can’t easily issue commands at the same time. Which is what people want; a tactical pause.

I think you can technically issue commands in a couple of cases, but the UI isn’t designed for it. It’s not an intentionally-designed feature.

And yes, I mentioned it was in Age already. But CoH 3 is the first time Relic has been actively developing the feature. They had it in the first public alpha snapshot, they advertised its inclusion, and it was in a very rough state (as you’d expect for a brand new feature in an alpha).

1 Like

blizzard is not the blizzard you remember. the blizzard you remember is now at other companies called Notorious and Dreamhaven.

The new graphic engine developed by Blizzard for all their new games, starting from Diablo IV, it’s really Amazing.

Now, Imagine all this beautiful graphic engine used for next Warcraft and StarCraft or next future AOE titles.

This Is the new generation: realistic and optimized Graphic.

Omg he is actually trying to defend/justify even the lack of a simple pause feature. He is actually going for it lmao. I’ve lived to see this too on this forum :smiley:

Dude. stop. Just stop. You’ve been corrected many times and you’re just going to embarrass yourself from this point on. Nobody is talking about tactical pauses, we are just talking about basic simple pause feature which have been there all the time.
You CAN’T pause in AoE4, there is no pause feature. The only way to do so is pressing escape and bringing up the menu. You cant see screen, you cant move camera to check map, you cant select units or issue orders this way.

At the same time, you CAN pause in older Relic games and CAN issue commands at the same time as well. In Homeworld especially this is very important and it is used a lot in single player.

Also, past AoE titles have had this feature before (like you also said and the only thing you got right), as well as pretty much other RTS out there, but not AoE4.

And the feature they try to implement in CoH3 and you keep mentioning with your non sensical buzzwords “actively working” is a bit more complex and a bit something else, but we are talking about a SIMPLE pause feature where you hit the pause key on your keyboard and the game freaking pauses while you can still move camera and issue orders if it’s in single player, while multiplayer blocks camera and you cant select or issue orders and you are limited in the number of pauses and other players can unpause.
We dont want a tactical pause, we dont want them to “actively work”, we want a SIMPLE pause feature and them to just SIMPLY work on this. This is common sense, childsplay, it’s been among the most basic of required and present features in RTS for decades. We want basic features that have been in RTS all the time and have been developed with ease and worked fine to be there. Sorry you haven’t been here all this time.

3 Likes

Not to be “that guy”

But this is exactly what he was talking about

You -can- pause, by using the menu.

A tactical pause is something like a pause button, where you can pause but still issue orders and look at the map without a menu blocking your view.

While overall I agree that this feature is basic and should’ve been implemented upon launch, like a number of other things, but his terminology was correct.

Yes, I agree we are missing a lot of basic features.

He actually has been here all this time though.

I feel like his answer was accurate and I’m not sure what you’re so heated for :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

No, his answer was not accurate in the slightest. He’s saying you can pause in past Relic titles just like in AoE4, where you cant do anything. This is incorrect.

“You can pause in older Relic games, just like you can pause in Age IV. But you can’t easily issue commands at the same time. Which is what people want; a tactical pause.”

So you could pause and issue commands at the same time in past titles, unlike what he’s saying.

He is also saying CoH3 will be their first title where they are “actively” (gotta love that word) working on a “tactical pause” where you can finally do stuff during pause. This is again incorrect like you’ve already read above. (For those that dont know, the tactical pause feature in CoH3 will be more something similar with TW titles, whuich means that besides a simple pause feature where you can see map, issue orders etc, you’ll also have certain hud elements integrated to have a better understanding of the battlefield at a given point and outcomes).

Maybe so, I was referring to what he was saying about a tactical pause, which I do believe is any pause where you can move units or issue orders without being obstructed by a menu.

I don’t think I’ve played many or any previous relic titles.

1 Like

Yes, he is just trying to twist ideas and words. ANY pause (call it tactical or whatever) should give the ability to do stuff (move camera, issue orders etc) without being obstructed by a menu. This has been the case all the time, no matter if Relic title or not. Such pause feature was there already, except AoE4. What he’s mumbling about CoH3 advanced feature is something else entirely.

Yeah I agree here I can’t speak for him but he didn’t ever seem to advocate against this

As for the other bit I was never talking about it as I have no idea (or care) what coh3 is

Edit: only reason I even care about relic is bc they made this game

Well the idea was that we’re debating and defending about a game which doesnt even have a pause function. It was just an example which crossed my mind, like you cant go lower than this. But lo and behold :slight_smile:

No it does have a pause function

You can pause in sp by bringing up the menu

It doesn’t have a tactical pause function, which is what he was saying.

1 Like

He’s also saying that no Relic game before had this until the upcomming CoH3. In an attempt to downplay the feature, as in saying it’s something normal for such a feature to miss out from AoE4. But past Relic titles did actually have it, while CoH3’s advertised feature is something else.

1 Like

I took it more as calling out relic for being historically lacking in this respect.

Well it’s wasnt lacking. Only now it is with AoE4.

Move camera, yes. Issue commands? No I don’t think so. That’s not real time strategy. That’s effectively just cheating and not how you would play a game against a human.
The bigger issue is no pause in multiplayer. Rejoin as well I guess.

As for MS certification, that might have some impact on how fast we get a patch, but if that were the case, I’d expect patches to have more fixes than they do due to that wait. Without certification they could release patches faster, but they would be smaller. I feel like we aren’t getting enough fixes in the patches given how much time we are waiting. You might say that is because we need to check balance changes in these smaller iterations, but a lot of issues don’t rely on these other changes.

A bug is a bug. Shattering projectiles doesn’t do anything. I don’t see any balance changes being made that could indirectly make Abbey Of Kings viable, I don’t see changes being made that would indirectly make the Ribauld a unit that gets built. But I guess the English (in this case), would have to slowly fall down the stats and stay close to the bottom for long enough before they consider fixing those issues, because there are plenty of other issues they are prioritizing. Even when they decide to prioritize the issues a civ has, that could take many patches and many months to get things working well.

If they want civs to be as good as the Mongols, they really need to start buffing the stuff that isn’t obviously impacted by other changes. Even if they buff them a little bit in small iterations to test the impact.
Just seems like they don’t have enough people to make changes fast enough.

I’m pretty positive everyone is referring to being able to do this in single player only, which a lot of RTS games have done, Empire Earth 2, Star Wars Empire at War, age of empires 3, to name a few from different spectrums.

All of these games have pause buttons that are simply disabled in multiplayer.

Someone earlier suggested that the abbey of kings give a passive heal to every building in the network of castles, I like this idea a lot.

Glad that you have opinion, sadly you did not learn the content.
Have you played previous games? Obviously not.

Wont explain further, noone listen anyway.
Learn yourself how it worked in previous games.