Bombards should do Splash Damage

Bombards should do Splash Damage
20 chars

2 Likes

And they should carry a infantry defense troop which jumps out to defend against attacking cavalry.

2 Likes

I’m saying, it’s weird that a cannon does no splash damage when it’s the better version of the Mangonel yet it does single target.

1 Like

It’s not the better version of a mangonel. Isn’t the bombard meant for taking down buildings?? Or I’ve read the tooltips wrong.

1 Like

They should also cost no resources and produce for 10sec.

1 Like

I think it would be more interesting if the cannons did linear damage: ie splash damage in a line based on the direction it was fired from.

4 Likes

They should miss like trebs and do a small aoe damage.

I’ve seen it suggested before to have a tech for grapeshot, which would let you switch modes for the bombard.

With an appropriate delay between switching modes, and balanced aoe and damage, I think this is one of the best suggestions I’ve seen here.

Tbh they are already really strong units so idk about buffing the bombard. I think bombard splash damage was removed at some point (they have it in the campaign). Especially concerning would be Chinese bombards because they already beat any unit besides massed units. (They actually win fights against culverins and springalds).

Culverins* should do area of effect if anything, they cost 3x as much as a springald, are slower, and are outranged by 3 of the factions springalds, and also lose to french and chinese bombards. So they’re a garbage unit all around.

1 Like

Huh? I’m sure you made a mistake.

I think AIKa meant culverins. Also culverins do not lose to french bombards. French bombards have 320 HP (less than normal bombards) and only do 200 (240 if royal) damage. Meanwhile culverins have 400 hp and do 285 to siege. French bombards also shoot slower.
That said I can see the argument behind buffing culverins as right now building massing springalds is quite strong though maybe after springalds get nerfed you wont see masses of them and maybe culverins will be better.

Yeah I meant culverins. And on paper french bombards lose to culverins, but in game, the french ones can also fire without set up time like culverins, and also outrange culverins, so so the french bombards with springald support can just absolutely destroy culverins and also roll through forts, which is in theory the springald’s only weakness.

I do see the setup time, however the culverin has 12 range and the bombard only 10 unless the French have a unique cannon tech? The best argument is culverin can be matched by just springalds atm, but just culverins vs French cannons, culverins win.