Bosniak promotion should be based on kill XP, not kill number

There is op promotion unit which is bosniaks. They get the same promotion no matter if they killed a cheap unit or expensive unit. They get the same promotion after killing a strelet or sipahi. That’s not fair because against Russia, Aztecs and China it is super easy to get full promotion. Especially Chinese which lacks reliable anti cav.

Killing a cheap unit is easier than killing an expensive unit. How do they get the same promotion regardless of value of kill? Who came up with this idea? If your opponent throws a few bosniaks into a strelet mass they all get instantly promoted to highest level. And we all know fully promoted units have broken stats for the cost.

I suggest promotion should be one level up for each 15 kill xp. This makes 1000% more sense. Especially the promoted unit is a cav, they can chase down units and kill.

Similar things can be said for crabat, shock rider and toten hussars, but bosniak stats are by far the most broken. It is in the german deck too every german player abuses it

11 Likes

This sums up the entirety of my thoughts on the “promotion” mechanic generally.

5 Likes

the gameplay purpose of promotion mechanics in other RTS games is to make it more rewarding to keep your units alive. E.g. in Company of Heroes this is tied to a retreat button mechanic, so you’re strongly incentivised to keep your veteran units alive by retreating them if they’re in trouble.
I can only guess they added promotions as a way to try to mix up the normal micro by adding an incentive to retreat high value units for healing after a fight where they’ve levelled up. But I don’t think anyone does this.

Honestly the best take I’ve seen here in a long time - a relief after all the Sentinel and Russia discussions.

Only one thing I would add tho

Just make it for all promotion units. For example a small Irish Brigs should get full promotion if he manages to take down a Sipahi. Getting the numbers on the XP needed is gonna be difficult(and they WILL find a way to make it unbalanced again somehow) but that’s still better than Russia and China just feeding Promotions like crazy.

2 Likes

Yeah, I agree on promotions but they should be based on XP kills more than in the number of kills.

Those cavs can insta get level 3 by killing 3 strelet in one strike, wich obsviously is unreal. This should be applied to all units with promotion.

Maybe a point threshold with different units giving different point amounts depending on XP value?

Something like 10,20,30 XP or maybe double for a unit with some crazy good promotion. This could also help balancing different promotions or the same promotion on different units. And ofc it would need way different scaling for ship promotions

1 Like

*Kills an elephant

THAT STILL ONLY COUNTS AS ONE!

6 Likes

I like the idea, it should be like that for all promotions.

1 Like