Bug: Able to build farms without a mill

:arrow_forward: GAME INFORMATION

:point_down: These details are CRITICAL; DO NOT skip them or your issue may not be reviewed.

• **GAME BUILD #: 101.546.84.0 7486483
  • GAME PLATFORM: Steam
  • OPERATING SYSTEM: Windows 10

:arrow_forward: ISSUE EXPERIENCED

:point_down: My opponent was able to build farms despite having no mill.

:arrow_forward: FREQUENCY OF ISSUE

:point_down: How often does the issue occur? CHOSE ONE; DELETE THE REST!

• Less than 25% of the time / matches I play (RARELY)

:arrow_forward: REPRODUCTION STEPS

:point_down:Can reproduce in any game by deleting mill. This was situation

Here’s the steps to reproduce the issue:

1. 1v1 ranked ladder game, got Arabia
  2. I was cumans, opponent was Vikings
  3. Feudal pressure including rams destroyed several of his structures, including his only mill and his starting TC. He made it castle age.
  4. Opponent rebuilt TC but did not rebuild mill. After completing TC started building farms.

:arrow_forward: EXPECTED RESULT

:point_down: No mill = no farms! it’s a prerequisite building in the tech tree! farmbug|690x304

:arrow_forward: IMAGE

:point_down: ALWAYS attach a PICTURE (.jpg, .png, .gif) or VIDEO (.mp4, YouTube link) that highlights the problem.

:arrow_forward: GAME FILES (SAVE / RECORDING)

:point_down: Attach a SAVE GAME (.aoe2spgame) or GAME RECORDING (.aoe2record) of the match where you encountered the issue. Link it below if using an external file service.

if a player has already built a mill, he can build farms even if he loses it. That’s not a bug.

3 Likes

Ok. Where is this documented anywhere in game ? It lists it as a pre-requisite. This isn’t how other buildings work. If you lose your blacksmith you can’t build siege workshops. This does not look like intended behaviour. It is counter-Intuitive and also simplifies strategic options in game - taking out critical structures should matter in an RTS.

It does matter : the auto reseed does not work without mill, and it is not possible to upgrade farms any more.

This is not correct. If you already had a blacksmith at one point you can build siege workshops, even if the blacksmith was destroyed in the meantime.
Same for the other military buildings. If you lose all of your barracks you are still able to build archery ranges etc

I guess this depends on how you think about it. To my understanding it works like this: The pre-requisites must be met to unlock the corresponding part of the tech-tree. They are no pre-requisites to build the building. In other words: Parts of the tech-tree are unlocked as soon as their prerequisites are met. It doesn’t matter if the corresponding buildings are destroyed later on.

• Example 1:

• Build mill → part of the tech-tree to build farms and markets is unlocked (however, markets are only accessible from feudal age onwards)
    • Destroy mill → you can still build farms and market (however, markets are only accessible from feudal age onwards)
  • Example 2:

• Build blacksmith → part of the tech-tree to build siege workshops is unlocked
    • Destroy blacksmith → you can still build siege workshops
  • Example 3:

• You are in Dark Age
    • Build mill and lumber camp → part of the tech-tree to advance to feudal age is unlocked
    • Destroy mill and/or lumber camp → you can still advance to feudal age
  • Example 4:

• You are in Dark Age
    • Build mill → you cannot yet advance to feudal age, since 1 dark age building is missing
    • Destroy mill
    • Build lumber camp → you cannot yet advance to feudal age, since at this very moment you only have 1 dark age building
    • Build mill → now you have 2 dark age building at the same moment and the part of the tech-tree to advance to feudal age is unlocked
    • Destroy mill and/or lumber camp → you can still advance to feudal age, since this part of the tech-tree was already unlocked
2 Likes