[BUG] Font doesn't look very good, even at big UI (125%). And pixel artifacts throughout the game

Thanks for your detailed report @Darkness01101 ^-^

2 Likes

Yep, I have the same blurry fonts problem (steam, game version 101.101.58259.0 8059288)

1 Like

A new update has come, but the issue still persists (Windows 10 / Steam / 101.101.58850.0 8160343). The only normal looking font is the tooltips in the main menu (though, the ‘W’ and ‘w’ look suspecious). But that was even before this update. Compare the tooltip text and the rest (the nickname, the challange) in the main menu (make sure to zoom 1:1),

Here is how it looks in the options menu:

And here is in-game font. Some letters in italic parts look more skewed and some are less skewed.

I don’t play with sans serif font, but I tried to turn it on in the options. This issue presists as well (just as Darkness01101 has described) in previous replies.

Is this going to get fixed?

Check this @Murken901 !

1 Like

Tried to tag Iko Knight in post, but forum censorship auto-changes their name to ########## thereby preventing me from tagging an actual dev, lol. I guess their name is controversial. Our sensitive eyes must be protected.

Dear Iko Knight 8151, here’s my story if you ever see it…

Hi there, sorry to say but it still seems to be a bit of an issue a year+ later. Some examples:

Regular size:

Zoomed-in with MSPaint and highlighted some of the issues:

Zoomed in with MSPaint w/ no highlights:

EDIT: Forum auto-resized an image or two and prevents actual size I posted from being viewed

1 Like

I still truly miss the crisp, crystal clear fonts of AoE2:HD and earlier iterations of the game. I played a few times this week on latest build (doing event to get star-filled seas/oceans/water), and a few times had no idea what some of the numbers were in the resource panel because they were misshapen and smudgy. I just shook my head and moved on to playing after trying to figure it out for 5 or 10 seconds each time. (I have a game to play, not a UI to spend a bunch of time studying.)

At this point, I wonder if devs could use AI to clean up fonts on-the-fly? As I’m assuming the fonts are, sadly, scaled images instead of vectors. Just an idea I thought might work/help, since we’ve all seen pixelated videos get made HD by AI

Mods like the below one shouldn’t be needed, imo. Just stumbled upon it, as it appeared to be in the Top 10 of popular mods when I sorted mods by popularity:

Source: Mods Single - Age of Empires

No, I don’t want bigger fonts as the official in-game (non-modded) solution. I want a better font package used, or AI used to smooth, or vectors used instead of images

EDIT: And that mod above is prone to getting broken since it’s not official, as noted here:

Hi there,
I’m happy to let you know that this has been addressed in Update 93001!
If any further tweaks are still desired, please let us know!

1 Like

Well now UI background graphics is blurry. Did this update affect ingame UI background somehow?

1 Like

Thanks! I will take a look soon!

UPDATE: It looks a LOTTTT better, thank you so much :pray:

Update: This is now available as in-game options!